.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Question re: sessions and food rations
 Ariege
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/6/2015 1:57:31 AM reply with quote send message to Ariege Object to Post   

Hey guys,

I know that some people stop actively sessioning some traits (muscle and coat) after they reach a certain number and then let the custom ration (1777 etc) to bring those numbers up to 20 in order to use those valuable sessions on other dogs.

At what number do you guys stop sessioning?

(I know it takes a lot longer to rely solely on the custom food, but I'm sessioning as tonne of dogs at the moment lol)

Thanks in advance for your advice happy :)
 Kovert
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 2:06:30 AM reply with quote send message to Kovert Object to Post

For my Borzois and Gordon Setters I typically take their grooming off at 15/16 and their exercising off at 17/18. I believe I do the same with Great Danes. My Norfolks are new, so I don't know for them, yet. laugh :D
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 4:02:36 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Awesome - thanks for your input happy :)

Anyone else in other breeds?

(Posting in my other kennel)
 Keaira
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 10:35:44 AM reply with quote send message to Keaira Object to Post

I had no idea that a custom ration would increase your stats as well as sessioning! Wow, you learn something new every day. So how does that work exactly?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/6/2015 2:41:58 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Training is not affected by food, only sessioning (makes sense)

Condition is affected only by food - no sessioning.

Coat/Grooming and Muscle/Exercise are impacted by both sessioning and good food. Generally you need to session at first in addition to good food to start the numbers going up. Good food makes the sessioning more effective.

Since training generally takes a lot longer, at a certain point withdrawing the sessioning (which is more expensive) will result in all three factors (Condition is generally 20 by now) reaching 20 about the same time. You can save money on the sessioning because it will not make the dog show-ready any sooner.
 MindSett Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 6:52:33 PM reply with quote send message to MindSett Meadows Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

in here with my Setters I stop grooming and exercising at 16 letting food do it, in Dream what may Mastiffs and Bloodhounds I stop at 14 they are both very slow breeds to train so I find just custom food alone they are up to 20 by the time training hits 19. Most times when stop the extra sessions I also switch to a 1747 ration which is slightly cheaper since Condition has already hit 20.

-----
Last edited by MindSett Meadows on 4/6/2015 6:55:26 PM

-----
Last edited by MindSett Meadows on 4/6/2015 6:56:58 PM

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.