Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : why dont people share their studs?
 Brizingr
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/20/2015 3:35:30 AM reply with quote send message to Brizingr Object to Post   

Hey,

i have red and white setters and GBGV and i struggle to breed nice litters because people dont allow their dogs at stud! i can see super dogs in their kennels who are old enough however im stuck with maybe one nice dog to breed with so keep ending up stuck! i seem to have a stronger bitch line then dogs and never have as good males as females so nothing worth keeping in my eyes...
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 3:50:47 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Hi.

I'm not in the same breeds ... however if I receive a request to put a dog up for stud I will do so. Have you emailed the kennels to ask?

Glittering
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 6:20:08 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Have you tried messaging the breeders individually?

Sometimes people forget to put their dogs up for stud or it doesnt cross their mind.

Then again some people are weird and refuse to place their dogs up for public use for many different reasons.

Some people have worked on their lines for so long that they don't want others to use their boys. I know some people who happily use everyone elses studs but refuse to put their own boys up for use. I have left a breed that I loved in the past for this particular reason.

I am very happy to say that all of my current breeds have studs up for public use happy :)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 6:50:57 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have seen it both ways.

Definitely contact the player and ask. In one breed I was in the player was always happy to let me use her studs - you just had to PM and ask.

BUT in two other breeds where the dogs were much higher SOP, those players would not allow their dogs at public stud.

For many, this is a game strategy for winning. Perfectly legal.

..I should add, this was years ago and all of these players are no longer playing, at least in the breeds I'm referring to here.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 4/20/2015 7:03:28 AM
 Korthals
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 6:56:52 AM reply with quote send message to Korthals Object to Post

Just thinking over my kennels. My in house studs are not high sop so I generally don't list them out of embarrassment ... however I'm trying colours so I'm keeping them for my purposes.
Guess I'd better list them ...
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 2:18:41 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I'm always delighted when someone uses my studs, champion offspring mean merit awards after all - although I may be waiting a long time for a merit award this time around!
 Lycaons
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 3:01:14 PM reply with quote send message to Lycaons Object to Post

I try to list all of my studs as soon as I can. In most kennels, I need the money, so I also keep them reasonably priced. In a different kennel, putting up two relatively high SOP boys for $100 has brought that kennel out of the "starting to worry" stage

I do have one breed (also a different kennel) that is/was mostly a color project. My boys there are not quite show quality, but I have them up anyway, so if anyone else is trying to save the color they can use them. In some of my other breed I play with color too, so will use a lower SOP boy to get some color back.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2015 3:16:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have R&Ws I'll go put some at stud. The kennel is a bit neglected right now - I do that with all of them from time to time.
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2015 3:24:50 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

Ok, I have at least 4 R&W studs available if you want to use them.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2015 3:31:21 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

if i see a dog i want to breed to i just ask. and even though its fake money it still talks.
i also put all dogs of age up for stuff even if its only $25 because you never know if it could help someone else with something they are trying to accomplish.

-----
Last edited by King Blazzo Kennels on 4/20/2015 3:33:17 PM
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2015 3:39:18 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

Yeah, just PM them. I forget to put my boys up sometimes.

This post reminds me... I haven't seen a super kennel in a while.
 nortons kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2015 6:52:32 AM reply with quote send message to nortons kennel Object to Post

i have 2 family accounts in every kennel when my boys hit 30 days i always put them to stud,as it is extra income for my kennels.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2015 4:48:40 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

posted by Kievan Kennels
Yeah, just PM them. I forget to put my boys up sometimes.

This post reminds me... I haven't seen a super kennel in a while.

What is a Super Kennel?
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2015 5:03:46 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

A group of kennels that usually operate in one breed with the same owner and they are usually closed kennels.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2015 6:11:08 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Yes - I agree. Super kennels do seem to have died down for the most part. Ive been on SD for 9 years - and one of my favourite breeds was struck down with a super kennel which in turn made every other player in the breed leave eventually. It took me a few years to rejoin that breed - and then low and behold another super kennel player was in it again! (different person though) ... so again I got fed up and left that breed. I don't think I will ever rejoin that breed again.

I have 5 kennels - and 3 breeds across those kennels. I show like crazy and breed like crazy - but all my males are always up for stud at $50 so everyone can use them - plus I always try to organise 'brood swaps' where we swap some brood bitches around to other players in the breed to see if they produce better with their boys etc.

Using outside studs is the easiest way to keep COI% down. I am running a very large Merit project with one of my boys - he has 24 dogs who have their CH titles in the making (He already has 7 CH pups of those 24) which is a fantastic achievement - but I will be breeding all of his female pups to outside studs - as I will have a LOT of broods with blood lines that are identical - and I don't want to get stuck in the high COI% disaster lol.

So placing your boys up for stud is definitely a good thing happy :)
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2015 7:54:18 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Personally I forget most of the time to put my dogs up for stud because I'm one of only 4 or 5 breeders in some of my breeds so I don't show them
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/22/2015 2:51:11 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

I have a second Keeshond kennel now -- but it will be a totally independent kennel from the first -- and not as big. I also have a Buhund kennel.

And I will always have my males at stud either on 30 days or very soon after (if I forget).

I make them available at either $50 or $25 service fee. I feel having all studs available at a reasonable fee, is good for the overall improvement of the breed and keeps the COI from getting too high.
 Brizingr
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2015 12:06:34 AM reply with quote send message to Brizingr Object to Post

maybe i will have to send out some msgs then... just frustrating because i know everyone wants to be top kennel but the stud available are lower then the bitches i have and why would i want to breed down on SOP when there are dogs able to improve them... i dont care about being top kennel i just want to keep playing the game, its fun trying to always improve ur dogs etc and u get to these stale mates.. currently i have a kennel full of bitches i can do little with so i may as well save my money and leave the game! its just a useless account sitting there, sure i can breed them every now and then but the COI is going up and up and i dont keep anything because generally i dont get much out of them and nothing worthy of putting up for sale so im just wasting my money... will go have a look at ur boy Gaylan.. thanks!
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2015 3:29:10 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

There are some great studs in Otterhounds, $25 and $50 if that helps anyone.
 Kovert
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2015 3:54:59 PM reply with quote send message to Kovert Object to Post

posted by Dalkeith
... plus I always try to organise 'brood swaps' where we swap some brood bitches around to other players in the breed to see if they produce better with their boys etc. ...
I love the idea of a brood swap!
 Simply Sporting Ltd
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/26/2015 3:01:21 AM reply with quote send message to Simply Sporting Ltd Object to Post

I only have 2 IRWS and they are both bitches so i'm of no help but i can look around for boys at stud who are in abandoned kennels.

This is the onlu one i could find sad :( .
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13772467

2 IRWS kennels have left recently, so our gene pool has been cut even further.

-----
Last edited by Simply Sporting Ltd on 4/26/2015 3:21:27 AM

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class