Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Name ideas !!
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/2/2015 1:41:01 AM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post   

After playing this game for 9 years I find it hard to choose new naming themes for my dogs on ShowDog - especially when it comes to naming the ones you wish to show and hope they have a nice show career.

So - who can shout out some new name themes or ideas?

Lets go crazy! :P
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 2:21:38 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I always base the names of my dogs on one or both parents, unless the names are to unspecific to base anything off of. I try to be clever as much as I can;that's pretty hit and miss though. razz :p

Though if I know a dog is going to be a big time campaigner, I usually try to name them something with more impact. My very first big campaigner was named Take the World By Storm, and my last big one was named Secret to Success, so yeah names like that.

As for themes; space is always a great theme, and so the dream theme, military was a kick I got on before my hiatus and aviation. Fantasy is always a winner too, especially dragon related fantasy themes. wink ;)

If you need names I could list so many, like every name I've ever used since I started playing for instance, but that'd be one insanely long post. razz :p
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 5:11:06 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

LOL-but Drake, you have most of your CHs listed on your kennel page-so one just has to read through your list to get some good inspiration! Actually, all of our kennels has a list of champions that you could look through to see if a theme strikes your interest.

I used to look up lists of things to use for names/themes that would follow my lines or kennels. Here's some suggestions:

Birds
Animals
(latin names of both)
Race horses
volcanoes
rivers
mountains
characters in my favorite books/movies
stars/planets
trees
snippets from my favorite song lyrics (I once had several litters named from the song Southern Cross, my current ongoing theme is Pink Floyd "on the Turning Away"wink ;)
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/2/2015 5:55:06 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

I have lots of ideas I have not even touched for myself yet:

Names from history, in another game I started at the dawn of history -- ancient Assyria and onwards.
E.g. Egypt, Greece, Rome and later. (early history has less female names thought).
Myth and legend (e.g. gods and goddesses and others) from around the world.
Song titles, movie titles.
Names in literature.
Words and phrases in foreign languages.

Two sites that I have been known to frequent for ideas are:

www.20000-names.com/index.htm
www.lowchensaustralia.com/names.htm

I am fascinated by names and have countless sites bookmarked.

Hope these few ideas help a little
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 6:51:37 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Awesome! Thanks guys!

one of my favourite themes at the moment is lyrics or song names. Ive also been naming a lot of dogs after American towns/cities/states because they have some really awesome sounding names - especially since I live in Australia.

Names from wars/history have been popular in my kennels too.

Some days I just struggle to find an interesting theme lol - hence this post happy :)

Dalkeith

(posting in one of my other kennels)
 AdvoKat
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 2:37:37 PM reply with quote send message to AdvoKat Object to Post

I like to use different types of animals and plants so I can name babies something vaguely like their parents. Right now a HUGE chuck of my kennel is named after the Southern Resident killer whales, and another group is after spices.

I've got a smaller line of fighter pilot aces as well lol.

I used to use a lot of song lyrics too.
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 3:39:06 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

Well right now I have three themes going on.

1. US Presidents and First Ladies
2. Anything Potatoes
3. Greek Mythology

There is another theme and it's Jungle, but with that one, the spectrum is very wide, you can think of a lot of things about the jungle.

In my other kennel, Shadowstorm, my main theme is "Take" for example "Shadowstorm Take Me Home" or "Shadowstorm Take Care" and the reason that I do this is so that I know which dogs are decendents from an old dog of mine. I had another theme which had the number 10 in their names, same ordeal. But majority of the time, I name my dogs with pretty random names.
 Keaira
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2015 4:15:58 PM reply with quote send message to Keaira Object to Post

My bitches are named after Amazonian warriors... My dogs are named with ancient male Greek names. That is pretty much my theme. happy :) All the dogs I have bred stick with that pattern.
 Boodie Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/3/2015 1:02:46 AM reply with quote send message to Boodie Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

- To me song titles/lyrics are the easiest. I've kept this theme throughout my years on SD.. Only changing up lyrics or "predominant" themes. For instance just finished a "Beyonce" themed year. Now waiting for Ciara to drop her new album to have a "Ciara" themed year of songs and lyrics lol.

I also have a theme dedicated to my wonderful significant other using his name.
-Gio

-----
Last edited by on 5/3/2015 1:07:25 AM

Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 4:05:57 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

You do have a point CS, my page is quite overdone. razz :p Looking through others champions for inspiration sounds like a great idea though. ^^

Really though, I only have my most notable dogs listed on my page along with dogs I'm currently showing, have finished for others/others have finished for me. I have actually named well over a thousand dogs on here, a lot of which never championed. It's crazy how many names you use up when you are naming the pups you are selling as well as the ones you are keeping; that's why at some point I stopped naming my sell pups. I was worried I would run out of names, lol. razz :p

Anyway, I think song titles and lyrics go without saying, everyone does that and it's always a reliable source of inspiration and great names.

I've also used movie titles, and video game themes; got on a huge Tales of Symphonia kick a couple years back, and had some cool names from that. happy :)

Latin names are great too, and you can always combine words portmanteau style to create new words.

There is a thread in the off topic forum about names that contains tons of name ideas, so it may be worth looking into if you find yourself stuck.

Some of these themes people are posting are neat things that I hadn't thought of, so I will be following this thread for sure; very interesting. happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 4:07:35 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Oops, the above poster was me; timed out for some reason.
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
5/3/2015 2:43:14 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

I don't use themes for the most part, but I do name based on sire and dam using either from both of them if I can or if not from the name of one of them. so tend to have "lines" with the same theme or word(s) running through it.

for Example "The Wedding Singer" has two daughters named "I Forgot The Words" and "My Solemn Vow" or two girls I got out of Jingles' CH Jingles Sugar are named "Sugar and Spice" and "Gimme Some Sugar"

I have A LOT of Angels in this kennel lol. And a hippie line that started with "That 70's Girl" including Summer Of Love, It's All Groovy Man and Pinball Wizard lol
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 7:54:07 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

I love the Wedding Singer ideas happy :)

OMG - I just named like 20 dogs just from the lyrics of a few songs by the female artist 'Jewel' - I never knew you could get so many good names from lyrics like this lol! :P
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2015 8:06:13 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Here’s just a few of my favourite names across my kennels – a lot of them have hidden meanings lol. There’s some from lyrics, song titles, movies, books, quotes in movies, clothing items, Pokemon characters, sayings, etc.

CH Quileute - Eternal Glory
CH Quileute - Redcoats Are Coming
CH Quileute - Place in History
CH Quileute - Stone Cold Memories
CH Quileute - Man Overboard!

GCH CH Chaos and Havoc -Pulp Fiction
GCH CH Chaos and Havoc - Skinny Jeans

GCH CH Dalkeiths – Expert At Sorry
GCH CH Dalkeiths – Living The Dream

CH Dalkeiths – Casualty of War
CH Dalkeiths – King of Hearts
CH Dalkeiths – Say Geronimo!
CH Dalkeiths – Seattle Dreamer

CH Ariege – Let The Bugle Play
CH Ariege –Hidden Agenda
CH Ariege – Greatest Masterpiece
CH Ariege – Stand Aside, King!

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.