.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Color Breeding German Shepherds
 Igraine
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/4/2015 8:07:21 PM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hey all just wanted to share how my source project is going with GSDs.

My Goal: To source breed German Shepherds of color (sable, liver, etc.) to showable SOPs.

Currently the only shepherds that are showable are either Solid Black and Red or Solid Blue and Red. I am trying to breed colored pups to give GSDs more of a variety.

Sables: The majority of my kennel consists of Sables (Sable Black and Tan, Sable Black and Red, and Sable Blue and Tan). My highest SOP for the sables is a Sable Black and Red male at 10.35.

Bicolors: I was blessed to get three Bicolor source GSDs (two females and one male). Highest SOP for these is Bicolor Black and Cream male at 14.15. Currently they are not of breeding age.

Saddlebacks: I have one Saddleback source GSD. She is a Saddleback Black and Cream at a SOP of 11.45. Also not breedable yet.

Solid Colors: Last but not least, I have on Solid colored female. She is Solid Liver and Red and has an SOP of 7.35. She is the biggest blessing because she will be a great color producer!

Litters: I am expecting three litters tomorrow and another Wednesday.For two of these litters I decided to breed to showable studs to improve the SOPs quicker. The breedings go as follows (I sat down and went through the possible color genetics for each dog):

Igraine Livin On A Prayer (Sable Black and Tan) bred to Krieghunds Puzzle Piece (Solid Blue and Red).

Expected/Possible colors of pups: Solid Black and Red, Solid Black and Tan, Solid Blue and Red, Solid blue and tan, Sable black and red, Sable black and tan, Sable blue and red, Bicolor Black and Red, Bicolor Black and Tan, Bicolor Blue and Red, Bicolor Blue and tan, Saddleback Black and Tan, Saddleback Black and Red, Saddleback blue and red, and Saddleback blue and tan.

Igraine Tainted Love (Sable Black and Tan) bred to CH KBKs AK-47 (Solid Blue and Red).

Expected/Possible pup colors: Solid Black and Red, Solid Black and Tan, Solid Blue and Red, Solid blue and tan, Sable black and red, Sable black and tan, Sable blue and red, Bicolor Black and Red, Bicolor Black and Tan, Bicolor Blue and Red, Bicolor Blue and tan, Saddleback Black and Tan, Saddleback Black and Red, Saddleback blue and red, and Saddleback blue and tan.

Igraine Take On Me (Solid Liver and Red) bred to Igraine Walk This Way (Sable Black and Red).

Expected/Possible colors for pups: All sables, Bicolors in Black/Blue/Liver and Red, Fawn, Cream, and Tan, and all of the Saddlebacks (Black/Blue/Liver and Red, Fawn, Cream, and Tan).

Igraine Ice Queen (Sable Blue and Tan) bred to Igraine Test Of Courage (Sable Black and Red).

Expected/ Possible colors for pups: All of the sable varieties (Black/Blue and Red/Tan/Cream/Fawn).

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Just wanted to share my project wink ;) Hope you enjoyed reading my progress.

-----
Last edited by Igraine on 5/4/2015 8:10:55 PM
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2015 8:36:54 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

As expected Igraine Tainted Love (Sable Black and Tan) bred to CH KBKs AK-47 (Solid Blue and Red) produced 4 Bicolor pups (2 Bicolor Black and Reds, 1 Bicolor Blue and Red, and 1 Bicolor Black and Tan) and 3 sables (2 Sable Blue and Red and 1 Sable Black and Tan).

And as expected Igraine Take On Me (Solid Liver and Red) bred to Igraine Walk This Way (Sable Black and Red) produced 4 sables (2 Sable liver and reds, sable blue and red, and 1 sable black and red) and 3 solids (2 solid liver and reds and 1 solid black and red).

Still waiting on my other litter to be due tonight.
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2015 8:39:37 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

Unfortunately Igraine Livin On A Prayer (Sable Black and Tan) bred to Krieghunds Puzzle Piece (Solid Blue and Red) only produced Sable pups (4 Sable black and red and 2 Sable Black and Tan). The pups did have some good traits though so I can improve on my overall stock happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2015 5:15:18 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Very interesting post - thankyou for taking the time to write it. Good luck with your project.
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2015 7:37:04 PM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

Thank you mournebrake! I'm trying to be very thorough in finding out the color genes for these dogs and to improve their SOPs. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I will definitely keep it updated happy :)
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2015 7:16:49 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

The pups out of Igraine Ice Queen (Sable Blue and Tan) bred to Igraine Test Of Courage (Sable Black and Red) actually surprised me today. There were 2 Sable black and red, 4 Sable black and tan, and 1 Bicolor black and tan. I was only expected sables from this litter.

I also have three more litters due this weekend/the following week.

Igraine Blessed Be (Saddleback fawn and cream) bred to Igraine Love Is A Battlefield ( Sable black and tan).

Possible colors for pups:
Sables and Saddlebacks. I expect a few cream colored pups out of this litter since the male carries the recessive cream gene and the female has two recessive cream genes.

Igraine Fallen Angel (Bicolor black and cream) bred to Ambers Buzz (Solid black and red).

Possible colors of pups:
Bicolors and maybe a solid or two. I expect tans since she has the cream gene.

Igraine Enchantress (Bicolor blue and red) bred to Igraine War torn (Sable black and red).

Possible colors of pups:
Sables and bicolors. I expect reds and possibly a blue or two.

Igraine Time Will Tell (Saddleback black and cream) bred to Igraine Play Minstrel Play (Bicolor black and cream).

Possible colors of pups:
Sadllebacks and Bicolors. Creams and tans.
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 8:30:13 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

Igraine Fallen Angel and Amber Buzz produced 6 Bicolor Black and Tan pups with varying traits.

Igraine Blessed Be and Igraine Love is a Battlefield produced an interesting combination of colors in their pups: 2 Sable liver and creams, 1 Saddleback black and tan, 1 solid black and tan, 1 sable black and cream, and 1 saddleback blue and cream.

I am still waiting for two litters to be born tonight.
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 8:39:14 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Just a little update on SOPs in each color:

Sables: Highest SOP is a Sable black and red bitch (Igraine Playing It Safe) at 22.45. Most important Sable in terms of color would be Sable liver and cream (Igraine Fair Game). He carries recessive genes for liver and cream making him essential to my breeding program.

Bicolors: Highest SOP is a Bicolor blue and red dog named Igraine March To Honor at 20.00 SOP. Most valuable colored bicolor would be the dog, Igraine Play Minstrel Play (Bicolor black and cream).

Saddlebacks: Highest SOP is a Saddleback black and red dog named Igraine Key Master at 19.65. Most important color in my saddlebacks would be (Igraine Blessed Be) a bitch that is Saddleback Fawn and Cream.

Solids: Highest SOP is 7.35 in a Solid liver and red bitch named Igraine Take On Me. Both her and her solid liver and red daughter are essential to breeding solid colored GSDs.

Best traits in all my dogs:

Show shine, Gait, Feet, Temperament, and Head.

Still working on all of these and the rest of the traits.

-----
Last edited by Igraine on 5/11/2015 8:41:18 AM
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2015 12:53:36 PM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

Waiting for eight litters to drop Friday night with the hope that they will not only produce great color but better traits than their parents. Crossing my fingers!
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2015 8:50:50 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

On 9/18 I had eight litters. With three that all were forever homed as they did not have any outstanding traits or have color genes that I needed in my program.

Here are the litters that I did keep from:

Igraine Bless Your Heart (Bicolor Black and Red) and Kissangels Wild Son (Solid Blue and Red) produced 3 Solid Black and Reds, 2 Solid Blue and Reds, and 1 Bicolor Blue and Red.

Igraine Blue Moon (Solid Blue and Red) and Igraine Celtic Fire (Sable Liver and Red) produced 2 Sable Liver and Reds, 4 Solid Liver and Reds, and 2 Solid Black and Reds.

Igraine Playing It Safe (Sable Black and Red) and Igraine Raging Inferno (Saddleback Black and Tan) produced 1 Sable Blue and Red, 4 Sable Black and Reds, 1 Saddleback Black and Red, and 1 Sable Black and Tan.

Igraine No Rest For The Wicked (Bicolor Black and Tan) and Igraine Key Master (Saddleback Black and Red) produced 3 Solid Black and Reds, 2 Saddleback Black and Reds, 1 Solid Black and Tan, 1 Bicolor Black and Tan, and 1 Saddleback Black and Tan.

Igraine Weeping Angel (Solid Blue and Red) and Igraine Raging Inferno (Saddleback Black and Tan) produced 2 Saddleback Black and Reds, 1 Solid Blue and Tan, 1 Saddleback Blue and Red, 2 Saddleback Blue and Tans, and 1 Solid Black and Tan.

Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2015 10:11:53 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

If I get more funds in the future, I would love to help out with the liver or sable.
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2015 12:12:55 PM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

That's awesome and would definitely appreciate the help! I absolutely adore Sables in real life and I think it's a shame that only Solid Blue/Black and Reds are showable on SD. Liver though is a hard trait to breed for. It tends to get diluted as you try to breed to better SOP dogs. It may be a long while before anything with Liver genes makes it to showable SOP but I'll keep working on it happy :)
 Igraine
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2015 7:49:51 AM reply with quote send message to Igraine Object to Post

Litter dropped yesterday out of Igraine Make It Or Break It (Solid Black and Red with Liver genes) and Igraine Truth Be Told (Sable Black and Cream):

2 Bicolor Black and Tans, 2 Bicolor Blue and Tans, 2 Sable Black and Tans, 1 Sable Blue and Tan, and 1 Sable Liver and Tan. Highest SOP was 10.3.
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2015 8:28:57 AM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

If you are having a hard time looking at all the red that comes with getting started with color-breeding (I know I did!), you can go to Account Settings and turn on Old Stats. This can also help you to choose the best pup, if you are still in the first few generations (where most, if not all, traits are 20.0/0.0).

Good luck with your project!

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.