.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 41
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Grand Champion Achievement Levels 'Badges'
 rhondacline
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/11/2015 8:47:02 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Since this has come up in a number of threads recently, I thought I would go ahead and put this out for a community 'poll.'

Would you like to see a 'Badge' (similar to the Award of Merit badge) added to your dog's page when Grand Championship Levels are achieved?
- Bronze - Silver - Gold - Platinum -

Grand Championship Levels (from AKC)
The Bronze Grand Championship will require 100 points,
the Silver Grand Championship will require 200 points,
the Gold Grand Championship will require 400 points
and the Platinum Grand Championship will require 500 Grand Championship points.

This information is already tracked, so we would just need the award & badge added.

Thank you for showing your support.

++ Edited to change Platinum to 500 points

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 5/13/2015 6:27:34 PM
Grand Champion Achievement Levels 'Badges'
No, I don't want Grand Championship levels added. 3.88%
Yes, I would LOVE to see Grand Championship Levels added! 93.02%
I Don't Care 3.10%
112 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 9:33:23 AM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

I think it would encourage user to continue showing their best!
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 1:00:57 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

My comment on this (which I love by the way) would be the near impossibility for any dog to achieve Platinum level on SD, due to the fact that in real life dogs can and are shown for more than 4 years.

But other than that, Gold is definitely doable. And I love the idea that a dog cou8ld be a Silver GCH & Bronze Sire for example.

And it does follow AKC so we are not "going off script" and making up random awards.

I think it should have an effect on prestige as well, mucb the same way, breeding or owning a GCH or Merit dog effects it.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 2:23:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

I'm sure it could be edited to make sense for the game. Going off of the list, #1 dog has 675 points so perhaps some sort of average between Gold and Platinum.

And to the people who vote no, it might be helpful to state why. You may have legitimate concerns that can be addressed happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:09:41 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I think it's impossible to gain 675 GCH points with the SOP's rising at the rate they are. I think these suggested awards are unrealistic. I'd like to see awards but at a more realistic level, say rewarding every 50 achieved.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:12:30 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

The current #1 dog all-breeds has 6 days left before he is too old to show and has 247 GCH points - I rest my case.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:15:38 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Saying that I feel extremely proud that I have a not so popular breed with over 100 GCH points who has never won BIS at an all-breed show compared with #1 dog all breeds who has numerous BIS to his credit.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:32:04 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I just checked my breeds and the all-time #1 GCH's in them have achieved the following points;

119 Pumi
119 Otterhound
220 Bergamasco ( when SOP was higher than it is now!)
205 Bloodhound
70 Komondor
116 Mudi

Never in our wildest dreams will we stand a hope of reaching 200's in SD now, with the number of dogs being shown, in fact reaching 50 would be an amazing achievement - 800 is IMPOSSIBLE in ANY breed!
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:36:14 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

So I propose;

Bronze for 50 points,
Silver for 100 points,
Gold for 150 points,
White Gold for 200 points,
Platinum for 250 points

- any dog gaining 300 points should receive a lifetime achievement award.
 Secret Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 4:55:05 PM reply with quote send message to Secret Kennels Object to Post

I love this idea but the points for each award would need to be lowered to something more like what Mournebrake suggested.

Here’s my reasoning:
A dog on SD can show for 106 days (they can’t show until 14). Assuming they finish in 3 days with three 5 point majors that leaves 103 days to show for grand champion points. 103 times 5 equals 515. That means that the most any dog could ever get, not counting SDWC or specialties, is 515.

My point is, it is impossible to reach the suggested platinum level (800), and very unlikely that a dog would reach even gold (400) in most breeds due to lack of specialties and entries. I would love to see this implemented though with some adaptions and I look forward to reading other’s comments. happy :)
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 5:42:47 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

I'm sure it could be edited to make sense for the game.
Perhaps you didn't read that? I'll just quote it again.

That example was based on the top and I included my proposal for an average.

eta There is no such thing as White Gold. That isn't really necessary.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 5/11/2015 6:18:26 PM
 Secret Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 5:58:22 PM reply with quote send message to Secret Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kievan Kennels
I'm sure it could be edited to make sense for the game.
Perhaps you didn't read that? I'll just quote it again.

That example was based on the top and I included my proposal for an average.

Sorry, I must've missed that when reading. I really do like this idea and I'm sorry if it came across otherwise.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 6:07:30 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
So I propose;

Bronze for 50 points,
Silver for 100 points,
Gold for 150 points,
White Gold for 200 points,
Platinum for 250 points

- any dog gaining 300 points should receive a lifetime achievement award.

I LOVE this idea and really do hope that it is implemented - but as Mourne Brake mentioned - the point system needs to be altered to a more SD achievable goal.

The points scale listed by MourneBrake would be ideal.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2015 7:17:24 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

My suggestions are merely that, lots of room for tweaking.

I think the general feeling from players is that we want 'awards or rewards' for achieving 'milestones', in both conformation and obedience. I do feel that we obedience competitors are the 'poor relations' and would love to see ObCH titles for UD qualified obedience dogs and Dual Ch for conformation CH + UD titled dogs. Obviously a GCH UD titled dog should have a recognised award too but I'm not sure what that should be.

I'd like to add that many of the disagreements on what we want for the game are based on the fact that players are from many different countries; the governing kennel clubs have different qualifying requirements and some suggestions just don't translate directly from AKC qualifying requirements.

I'd like to see us agree a workable suggestion that we can submit to Jeff
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 11:32:34 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I would like to hear some opinions from some of the 'Top 15' breeds - Malamutes, Aussies, Kerry Blues, Sibes, Standard Poodles, etc.

In my personal opinion..
I can possibly see not including Platinum due to the high number of points needed and our shortened showing time frame; but I don't see 100, 200 and 400 being an issue.

1. you can't base your scale of points on breeds from the bottom of the 'Breeds' list just so everyone will be able to reach the goal. The popular breeds have 2-4 specialties each week - that's a potential for 10 points in one day. I am in Puli and with our current entries, I would not be able to achieve Bronze - but I don't expect the point scale to change just so I can reach the merit. I believe that there are plenty of breeds where 100 GCH points are happening.

2. you also can't base the scale on what our numbers (dogs/players/etc) are at any one point in time. Our numbers are continually changing. (Go take a look at the All Time Top Dogs boards.)

2. Also, (and maybe this is where I am wrong) I don't see these merits as one step above Grand Champion. I see maybe 1 dog out of every 8-10 champions being a 'potential' Bronze.

If you put Bronze at 50 - you're halfway there when you hit GCH. I believe you'd see 1 in 3 dogs achieve the Merit - and to me that's not what the merit was meant to represent.

The Bull Terrier I'm campaigning has 47 GCH points and will be 60 days (2yrs) in the next few days. He's had a great 2nd month - but, his first month wasn't anything special. If he can repeat this month in his 3rd month - then I would think he deserved the Bronze GCH. But in my mind - 1 great month doesn't mean Bronze.

I looked at the AKC Grand Champion rankings for Australian Terriers (just a random pick) out of 100 dogs there are 16 Bronze, 8 Silver and 1 Gold.
Those are the type of percentages I envision.

Just my opinion.
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 2:14:00 PM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

Under this system, Alaskan Malamutes would have 21 Bronze GCH, 10 Silver GCH and no Gold GCH, which sounds about right considering there are currently almost 1000 dogs in the game right now.

The amazing Drakes Oracle Sea is about to retire in a couple of days with 350+ pts holding the top spot on our GCH rankings. So it would take a near Gold GCH to bump him down. Again that sounds right to me.
 K D And E Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 2:19:05 PM reply with quote send message to K D And E Kennels Object to Post

Aussies would have 3 silver (all deceased) and 24 bronze. Our top dog Kangaroo Perfect Game is holding the number 1 spot with 348
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 2:36:30 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

Sibes are about even with Aussies with 5 Silver (all retired from the ring) and 24 Bronze.

If you look at the overall all-breed GCH pts, you see 15 dogs that have enough pts to be Gold GCHs. And not all of these are in the "popular breeds".

In fact it would probably be easier for an outstanding dog/bitch in a mid level breed to get more pts because they are not splitting the available pts with so many other dogs.

-----
Last edited by Almost Heaven on 5/12/2015 2:37:57 PM
 Skylos Elysium
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 2:44:33 PM reply with quote send message to Skylos Elysium Object to Post

Just throwing out the numbers for Great Danes

2 Gold
16 Silver
30 Bronze

I feel the AKC scale is viable for the game. It SHOULD be a rare dog who gets Gold. Sure we are not going to see a Platinum, but that is okay. I don't feel that we should lower the numbers to make it easier to achieve.

One more thought. This would probably encourage MORE specialities in the game as people campaign dogs toward their GCH goals they are going to want as many pts available during that window when they are showing their dog. Does that make sense? example if a dog is only a few pts shy of a level and only had a week left to achieve them, throwing a speciality or two out might make the difference whether they achieve it or not.

-----
Last edited by Skylos Elysium on 5/12/2015 2:49:51 PM
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 3:28:30 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

posted by Skylos Elysium

One more thought. This would probably encourage MORE specialities in the game as people campaign dogs toward their GCH goals they are going to want as many pts available during that window when they are showing their dog. Does that make sense? example if a dog is only a few pts shy of a level and only had a week left to achieve them, throwing a speciality or two out might make the difference whether they achieve it or not.

Yes!
Also, in many breeds - if players worked together to add 1 or 2 specialties a week - you could easily see the number of GCH points available go up. (AND encourage some community activity.)

>IF< we are able to get this off the ground - we could also ask Jeff to consider adding GCH points for Select Dog and Select Bitch - using the existing 2nd 3rd 4th placements at breed level.

GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/12/2015 3:53:34 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

This is all fine and I certainly don't oppose it. What I have always wished to see though is a permanent recognition of top dog in each breed/group/all breed.

I think it would be nice to see on a dog's page that they were Top Dog in the breed for April 2015, Top Dog in breed for May 2015, Top Sporting dog for May 2015. It could be just a list or it could include a little shield or a colourful ribbon symbol. As it is at the end of the month all those top dogs are 'forgotten' the next day and there is no record of their achievments. Each dog could have its own little 'Trophy' case. The Sire/Dam awards could go there too.

All breeds would be equal because it would not be based on a point system that is set to accommodate all breeds.

I'm not involved in obedience and I'm not sure if there is a top obedience list but perhaps this could be extended to include obedience - Top Obedience (breed/group) for May 2015.

We should probably recognize top in all breeds too. We could see whose dog had the most trophies - we could be TrophyDog!

This would be my preferred way if I had to choose. I am always much more interested in how a dog stacks up against others of its breed.

Perhaps we could have both. Perhaps we could even raise the forced retirement age to 150 to accommodate the original proposal.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio9 on 5/12/2015 4:05:32 PM

Replies in this thread : 41
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.