Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : not sure continue to play
 kc meadows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/12/2015 5:42:25 PM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post   

Does it take awhile to get going with this game I am already thinking about quiting am I just being impatient or just not figuring it out right
 SilknT
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 6:39:55 PM reply with quote send message to SilknT Object to Post

Hi

You need to learn showdog patience.

You get a great puppy and start sessioning it - but it takes time to get to showable condition. Like generally 2 weeks if you work on it every day. And then it might not get anywhere in shows for a little while as it has to build up experience.

Or you get a really good brood bitch, but she needs to get to 30 or 31 days and have good condition before you can breed her.

Unlike other games I've played, I can't be destroyed as a player while I sleep. So my tradeoff for that is to breathe deeply and wait for the dogs to develop.

You can always email the top kennels in your breed and ask if they have females ready to breed that you could buy for a litter and then return. Most kennels are happy to help out a newbie.

Give it a try.

SilknT
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 7:25:07 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

This isn't an instant gratification game, you have to have some patience, but I definitely second the suggestion of messaging some kennels in your breed(s) to see if they have something to help you out. happy :)

Is it everything that seems like its taking forever, or something specific? I know when I returned it felt like it took forever for things to get going, but after you buy enough bitches and get them bred and have some dogs in the ring you will miss the slow going beginning. laugh :D

Stick with it! happy :)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/12/2015 9:12:42 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I looked around your kennel a bit.
Unless you plan on source/color breeding the 'starter' dogs aren't going to do much good for you other than take up space.

I did see you were just starting to session a 21 day old Golden, but have 2 young puppies that you haven't started sessioning. If the youngsters are show quality, you'll want to start sessioning them as soon as possible.

When you start late (like with the 21 day old Golden) it's an uphill battle.
In general it takes at least 14 days to session a dog for the show ring. If you start right away with the puppies they are ready to go in the ring right about the time they are eligible to begin showing.

The game does take patience and there's a lot of 'waiting around' time.
I’m sure most everyone has a routine to their SD day – it helps to break up the ‘waiting game’ – Here’s mine...

AM:
**Check show results – I check the “My Results” page – but I also follow the link to view the Breed Results – (who else was entered – dogs & kennels, how’d they do? Who got Best of Breed? (It helps me keep track of who’s winning and what’s going on in my breed.) – Who got points, how many, etc.

**Session. Check to see who’s close to being ready for the ring – in busy breeds you may need to look at entries a few days prior to the actual show.

**Check on the dogs
-Has anyone turned 14 days (check condition/ change food / move to adult kennel run)
–Has anyone turned 30 days? (eligible for breeding/put up at stud)
If I have puppies due, I make note of the time so I can log back in later to check on the puppies.

**I answer any PMs - take a look at the Latest Topics on the Forum.

Periodically during the week I will:
Check the Breed, Group and All Breed rankings. (Take a look at the show results for the top dogs in your breeds – which judges are giving out Group placements in your breed? Make notes so you can be sure to enter under those judges. Look at and compare the traits of the top dogs and your dog – Where is your dog strong, where is your dog weak? (In the competitive breeds you’ll need that info when you choose which judges to show under.) – Study and learn.

Maybe I'll spend some time looking to see where my dogs are in regard to earning their title – do I need another major, is that dog just 1 point away from GCH?
I might spend some time considering my plans for the dog – do I special, go for obedience, could I hit the top GCH boards?

Breeding and planning/comparing different potential breedings

I’m forever checking the “Breeds” list – what breeds are at the top – what breeds are at the bottom.
Take some time to look at some of the top dogs from the Top Dogs All Breeds/ Group – make some goals.

PM:
Answer Mail – Check Latest Topics on the forum.
Then I do my show entries for the next day.
(Some breeds I can enter tonight for tomorrow – some I need to enter tonight for a few days out in order to get good handlers)
Check to see if I have any puppies due tonight or tomorrow.

I think that’s about it. I have a Family account – so once I do one kennel I flip to the next and ‘repeat’
There’s a lot of ‘planning’ and ‘preparing’ – for a few minutes of AM excitement when I check Show Results and when I check on newly whelped puppies.

Just keep sessioning.
Do you have a sessioned dog that you are showing now while you session the Golden?

Good Grief I wrote another book!
Sorry about that.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 5/12/2015 9:13:33 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/12/2015 11:02:30 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yep, pretty much as Rhondacline said.

In general, I'd say foreverhome your starters if you have them and to start I usually suggest sticking with one breed to a kennel. Everytime I have more than one thing going I run out of space and end up adding another kennel - I have ten now.

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2015 1:10:24 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I'm not sure which breeds you are in and I haven't yet checked to see all I can say is decide which route you want to follow:

ie do you want to breed 'up' from starters (long long time before you reap rewards);

or do you want to buy/loan a brood to breed a quality litter from to show and breed on from with your own kennel name on (again not instant reward);

or do you want to buy a fully sessioned dog or a finished dog and gain a Championship or Grand Championship.

Once you've decided this way forward sell or forever home source dogs/buy new dogs/post requests for dogs/message kennels asking for help.

Take a look at my dogs and if any of them appeal to you PM me and I'll give/loan you something to get you showing/titling/breeding.

Please stick with the game, don't give up too soon, there are lots of us willing to help you.

kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
5/15/2015 10:08:52 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

Thank you everybody soooo nice and helpful can't quite so addicted already LOL
 Kovert
Basic User

Basic User
5/15/2015 3:11:49 PM reply with quote send message to Kovert Object to Post

It has a way of keeping you sucked in! happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/15/2015 4:39:35 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Too right !!

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.