Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Show schedule questiion
 angelpetshouston
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/14/2015 7:56:33 AM reply with quote send message to angelpetshouston Object to Post   

I am now to dog shows. When a show is 4 days like the Texarkana or Lake Charles shows - when is BoB held? Is it end of day Satruday or is it Sunday? I am curious if I enter a dog do I need to plan to stay over night?

Also - how do handlers usually charge to handle a dog in a show like that? A salaried lump amount? by the hour? By the day? Mileage? Per Diem? I am a hired handler for a client I groom for and not sure how to charge for shows.....
TIA
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2015 8:19:08 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Best of Breed (or Variety depending on what you are showing) is awarded at the end of Breed (or Variety) judging.

Then all Best of Breed (Variety) dogs compete in Group. (Group 1, 2, 3 and 4 are awarded)
Then all Group 1 dogs compete for Best In Show.
This happens each day.

If you have a 3 day cluster, that is in essence 3 separate shows. You can choose to show just on 1 day, or you might choose to enter 2 or all 3. Each day is a separate show/separate entry. If you entered for all 3 days, staying overnight would depend on how far you are from the show.

Based on your post, I would say that you might want to hold off on entering.
Spend some time going to shows, learn how they work. Watch the handlers, study the breed you'll be showing. How does the dog you're showing compare?
Find a conformation class in your area - you will need to learn what is expected of you as a handler and your dog will need to learn what is expected of him/her in the ring. The folks you meet in your local conformation class will be an invaluable source of information and help.

Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2015 2:31:14 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Thank u so much for the help! I showed my Brittany to CH as a teen but that was 25 years ago! So am familiar. The dogs are bred for show form a CH bloodline and the client wants them shown. I am not going to advise them against it. I suppose after a couple shows if someone tells us the dogs stink we may quit but we arent going to give uup easily.

And I meant Best of Show, not breed. I forgot each day was its own show with judging thru BoS on same day, that is good to know!

I am already taking the boys to conf class at HOT

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.