Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Obedience Trial Points
 LeBleu
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/18/2015 2:35:58 PM reply with quote send message to LeBleu Object to Post   

Waiting for the obedience trials to run and was wondering...

Can someone explain how points are awarded for the trials?
Does it correspond to 'real life' or is it SD specific?

(I've shown in conformation, but don't know much about obedience.)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2015 3:39:48 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

There is a specific Obedience forum on SD where obedience competitors are happy to answer any questions, however the basics of SD obedience are:

It's free to enter trials at the moment.

Only enter dogs that are trained up to the level you are competing in ie up to 18 in first 5 exercises for CD (Novice) plus you need to be at 20 in show obedience; up to 18 in first 10 exercises for CDX (Open); up to 18 in all exercises for UD (Utility). Note: you may need to up certain exercises for CDX/UD if your dog is failing to Qualify.

Qualifying dogs aren't necessarily pointed towards a title. Points only awarded after 170 gained in a trial.

3 pointed placings in Novice (over 170 score) for CD.

3 pointed placings in Open (over 170 score) for CDX.

3 pointed placings in Utility (over 170 score) for UD.

No ObCH titles at the moment.

Don't enter more than 4 dogs per day or you get knocked back because the 'handler is stressed'.

First couple of trials dog won't qualify because it needs to get 'settled' into the trials.

Hope that helps.

Come join us on the obedience forum. Good luck.

ps the obedience judge is on his holidays at the moment, not sure when he'll be back.
 LeBleu
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 10:48:14 AM reply with quote send message to LeBleu Object to Post

Thank you for your reply. I understand qualifying scores and how many it takes to achieve the titles.

I am asking about points. For example:
www.showdog.com/shows/obedienceresults.aspx?id=13849558

She earned 11 points, 8 points and 11 points on her qualifying legs.

In real life AKC obedience I understand that the number of points are awarded based on the number of competitors. I am questioning whether the system is already set up to award points that could be calculated toward an OTCh - or if the points that are being awarded are based on something else.

**OTCH – Is earned by accumulating 100 Championship points; Championship points are earned by winning 1st through 4th place in either the Open B or Utility B class. The number of points earned is based on the number of eligible entries showing that day. Ex: In Open B - 14 to 16 entries would garner the following Championship points: first = 14 points, second = 4 points, third = 1 point and fourth = 0.

In addition to 100 Championship points the exhibitor must also win a first in Utility B with at least 3 dogs competing, a first in Open B with at least 6 dogs competing and an additional first place in either class with similar competition requirements. All three wins must be under different judges.

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 1:42:31 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

NO OTCH on SD so no point trying to work out points, however we are hoping we may get the opportunity to work towards OTCH in future on SD.

At the moment we just train, compete, qualify and gain titles. After we've finished UD we either retire from obedience or we keep trialling in Utility class.
 LeBleu
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 2:22:28 PM reply with quote send message to LeBleu Object to Post

Yes, I am aware that there is not currently an OTCh.

I am questioning how the points are currently awarded to determine whether that part of the criteria is already set up and functional and we just need a few more tweaks -
or whether the points are completely unrelated and the project would be starting from scratch.

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 5:57:47 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I'm not sure any of us players can answer that. Maybe you should drop Admin a message and ask. If you get a reply maybe you would post and let us know what Jeff says. Thanks.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 6:01:24 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I always thought the # of points awarded in SD was related to the # of dogs you placed above, ie you had higher numbers than 5 dogs you won 5 points. If there were two dogs above you they were awarded 7 points and 6 points respectively.
 LeBleu
Basic User

Basic User
5/19/2015 6:12:15 PM reply with quote send message to LeBleu Object to Post

It does look like you receive 1 point for each dog entered in the class.

In two classes she was 1st in a class of 11 and received 11 points. In the third class she was second, there were 9 entries and she received 8 points.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.