Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Joint Supplements
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/28/2015 4:38:46 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post   

Just looking for suggestions on everyone's favorite or most recommended joint supplements. Thanks!
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/28/2015 8:32:24 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Cosequin. It's one of the few that is tested and regulated.
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
5/28/2015 9:20:39 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Specifically which Cosequin product? I know they have many different ones. What about Dasuquin? Anyone have experience with it?

I should mention that I currently have my old girl on Springtime's joint health as well as fresh factors but am possibly looking for another alternative. Feel like there is a lot of other stuff in springtime's prdducts not to mention I have to give a lot more tablets to get the desired results and correct amount and she is a small dog.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2015 1:45:08 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I use Dasuquin. I'm pleased with it, it cost about the same as my previously preferred supplement (Zuke's) and good amounts of the supplement in it. However, my dog needs it to be hidden in her food- she for some reason doesn't like any of the Nutramax products even though they're made to be chewable (we use the tablets).

Hard to comment of effectiveness as she was on joint supplements as long as I've owned her and is now terminally ill, and we only switched to Dasuquin 9 months ago. (her illness is breed/age-related, nothing to do with the Dasuquin). However, for her age and known joint issues, I would say her joint health is actually excellent- I rarely worry about or notice mobility issues.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2015 12:10:12 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I use Dumor, which is actually for horses, but it works great for Abigale. She has pretty bad arthritis in her old age and when she is on her supplement she pretty much reverts back to her younger days without the limping and hurting the next day.

It has to be figured out as far as serving amount though. Other than that, I love it!
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2015 8:46:30 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I use Nupro Silver and love the results I get with it. I add it to their kibble or raw meals and have never had a problem with any of them refusing it.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2015 2:33:26 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I use Cosequin DS but will be adding the MSM soon. I have given others like Springtime and Nupro that I have won in raffles just to make use of the jars. I tried a round of Dasuquin on my oldest and may go back to it but didn't see a noticeable difference. My dogs don't do the chewables no matter how tasty they try to make them so they are added to their ground raw breakfast and go right down.
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
5/30/2015 9:46:22 AM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I am looking at all of them. Cosequin seems like a great product but I like what I see with Nupro Silver as well. I have heard of Nupro's products before but have never tried them. Looks like a great blend of ingredients for overall health.
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2015 11:24:30 PM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

I've used several different kinds. The one that seems to work best for my old girl with arthritis is Connectin.

WishMaker
 ShowMuttz
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 11:20:26 AM reply with quote send message to ShowMuttz Object to Post

A handler recommended I try PhytoFlex. Faith has been on it for 4 months now, and she seems to be doing well.

However, just remember that glucosamine and chondroitin DOES NOT rebuild cartilage or joint tissue. It only prevents further damage and reduces pain.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 2:30:15 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

I use Joint Mobility :
www.wholisticpetorganics.com/canine-product-line/joint-support/wholistic-canine-complete-joint-mobilitytm.html

I've seen nice results with my 9yr old shih tzu.
It was recommended to me by my agility instructor, who swears by it.
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 4:22:07 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I use a product called Canine Joint Works that is made by Pet Wellness Blends. I don't know if you can get it in your area, but its worth it if you can. The company is based in Maine. The supplement is made by hand in small, made in the USA, contains no fillers, is certified non-GMO, and all ingredients are either Certified organic or responsibly and ethically wildcrafted. Those things are all just perks though. I love it because after just 2 weeks on it my little girl with scoliosis, lardosis, fused patellas, and arthritis went from falling on her butt every 3-4 steps to being able to walk up stairs again with assistance.

Edited to add: Also, its the only supplement that I've tried that I don't need to bury in stinky foods. They'll eat it just sprinkled on top of dinner. I have finicky chihuahuas. This is huge for us. laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Yippee Yahoo Kennels on 6/10/2015 4:24:08 PM

Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 5:08:23 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

When my mom and dad's male Great Dane was alive, we were giving Liquid Health glucosamine. It was the extra strength one. It had a cat, dog, and horse on it. The product labels have changed, but I believe this is the one we used www.vitacost.com/liquid-health-naturals-k9-level-5000-glucosamine?csrc=GPF-PA-Pet%20Health-765462905361&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=765462905361&gclid=CPuOtduQhsYCFUeTfgodgmUA0w

For Charly we noticed a gigantic difference for him on this, compared to the other joint supplements we tried. The pills and tabs took 5-7 days to take effect. The liquid had him moving around and not stiff within 24 hours. We switched to another supplement at the suggestion of a pet store, but it didn't seem as effective for him, so we immediately went back to Liquid Health and the next day he was up and moving around. The big bottle would last your little dog a long time! I believe having two Danes on it, it lasted us about a month.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 5:09:06 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Apparently took too long to type. The above was me.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.