.com Forum · Canaan Dog

Replies in this thread : 110
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Color breeding chat
 CS Animalia
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/6/2015 5:56:20 AM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post   

Just wanted to start a thread about color breeding. I am working on color breeding with about half of my dogs, working from starters to bring back some of the colors that I didn't see when I started with the breed. My main goals are to get solid color dogs to showable SOPS and to have a variety of colors/patterns so that any of the combos can be produced. I will post the colors/patterns that I have later when I have time to go through my kennel, but I was curious if anyone has any of these colors or patterns in their kennel.

Cream (solid or in any combo)
Unticked dogs or bitches
Black and white (as opposed to white and black)
White (solid)

In any case, feel free to chat about your goals or post dogs of unusual colors!
 top dog the k9 place
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2015 3:26:00 PM reply with quote send message to top dog the k9 place Object to Post

Inspired by the traits post, I got four starters, three of which are variations of cream (Cream long coat, Cream and White long Coat, and White and Cream long coat liver pigmented) and the other is Gold and White long coat liver pigmented. I've tried my hand at color breeding Canaans before back when Kadima and Silvermist were also doing it, along with others I don't remember. With 100+ color options in this breed, it can get intimidating pretty fast. My color breeding project turned into a trait breeding project I believe, but I'm very willing to try again. On that note, the Cream long coat is up for stud if you would like to join razz :p
 CS Animalia
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2015 8:40:41 PM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post

Awesome! I've got several color starter lines coming up, most are now in the 60-70 SOP range so will keep a few at stud if I know others are potentially interested. I also have some long coats and long coat carriers-will try to mark the carriers in their call name.

The color combos fascinate me-I've had a couple of litters with 7 different color/pattern combos out of 8 or 9 pups. Can't quite wrap my head around some of them-no idea which gene the cream comes from for instance! Guessing e locus and similar to white? Will definitely use your stud when I have a girl ready!

Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2015 12:00:20 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

I have an absolutely horrible starter bitch who is black and white. I'm probably about done with her if anyone is interested.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Lany%20Getting%20Started

One of her offspring that I kept is also black and white.
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2015 12:02:31 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

And I do have a solid white

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13986172

CS Animalia
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2015 5:37:46 AM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post

I'd like the black and white-and post what you get out of the white breeding please! I'm really curious to see how that turns out. I'm going to try a solid black to solid gold breeding to see what pops out!
 CS Animalia
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2015 5:40:55 AM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Oh-and I will breed a solid black to the solid cream top dog! By chance, did you get unticked cream and white starters? will have to breed to them too or get a pup out of them to bring back an unticked line!

-----
Last edited by CS Animalia on 6/7/2015 5:41:35 AM
 top dog the k9 place
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2015 5:29:21 PM reply with quote send message to top dog the k9 place Object to Post

Yeah, the dog is unticked as well as one of the bitches. I have a litter due Thursday from that pairing and depending on what they produce, we can all get this cream unticked line started together.

happy :)
Heather
 CS Riverflow
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 7:45:49 PM reply with quote send message to CS Riverflow Object to Post

Count me in for at least one pup-maybe a Male?
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/11/2015 5:32:11 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

In glancing quickly at the genetics, it looks like cream acts like the other solid colors, so a solid cream may not actually be non-ticked. I think the only way to know for certain a dog is non-ticked is for it to be "something and white" or "white and something". The ticking only shows up on the white, so if the dog is solid, you can't see the ticking (at least that's how I think it works). The color genetics of this breed is very confusing!

If someone has a white and something or something and white (non ticked) stud dog, I'll do one more litter with my black and white starter to see if I get any ticked. Or, I'll see how much the starters are and just buy one.
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/11/2015 5:35:03 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

Holy cow, starters are over $1000, I think I'll pass on that! Esp since I'd want to pick the color, so double that! So, if anyone has a boy with the above color, let me know!
 top dog the k9 place
Basic User

Basic User
6/11/2015 5:29:55 PM reply with quote send message to top dog the k9 place Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hey guys, here are the colors I got today. Let me know if you'd like one--don't be shy, I want us all to share!

Cream Long Coat (1 Bitch)
Black Tricolor Ticked (2 Bitches)
Black and White Ticked (1 Bitch, 2 Dogs)
Gold and White Ticked Liver Pigmented (2 Bitches, 1 Dog)

Heather

-----
Last edited by top dog the k9 place on 6/14/2015 11:14:56 AM

-----
Last edited by top dog the k9 place on 6/14/2015 11:18:56 AM
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
6/11/2015 6:57:26 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

I'd be interested in the white and cream male and possibly a solid cream male and a solid white female. -probably going to have to make some space in a different kennel for color breeding projects!
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2015 1:42:33 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

I'll go through them all tomorrow, but I got a lot of "odd" colors with my litters today. Not sure who/what I'll keep...I may decide to scrap showing and just work on color projects (since I find it hard to keep up with entries in 5 kennels!).

SOPs are low to REALLY low happy :)

Litter one:
White and Gold Ticked (1 dog, 1 bitch) Should be black based
White and Liver Ticked
White and Gold Ticked Liver Pigmented (1 dog)
White and Black Ticked (1 bitch)

Litter Two:
Liver Tricolor Ticked (1 dog, 3 bitches)
Black Tricolor Ticked (2 dogs, I'll likely keep one)

Litter three (best SOPs by far of the litters)
Liver and Tan (1 bitch)
Black and Tan (1 dog, 2 bitches)
Black (2 dogs, 1 bitch)
Liver (1 bitch)
White, Liver and Tan Ticked (1 dog)

I think that's right! If there is interest, let me know and I'll keep that in mind when I decide who I'm keeping!

Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2015 1:44:52 PM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

Top dog, once I organize my kennel tomorrow, I may be interested in some of your "non-liver" dogs. If I go full in for color breeding, I'll likely try to get away from the dilute. I did it in another breed, and it's not easy, but fun.
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 5:26:01 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

Do either of you have any non liver pigmented boys that aren't up for stud? I have a couple really low SOP white and black girls ready to breed and would like to breed them to a non dilute. Mid Lumpy Gravy is too closely related to use, he's their dad.
 CS Animalia
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 7:52:36 AM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post

I just put up a black based dog Vegas and a sand dog who was out of a black based male. Missed them! Will have a lot more options when my current 7 day pups are old enough.

Lany, I have most of your color combos except solid liver and black tricolor. I would potentially be interested in those two.

I think I'm going to close out a breed in another kennel and have just a color kennel for this breed too! I am really fascinated by their color combos and it's nice to have folks to work with!
 Lany
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 2:16:39 AM reply with quote send message to Lany Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I named the pups I definitely want to keep, so if any of the others interest either of you, just let me know or make an offer. I will probably keep more of them, but want to offer them up first. I'll go put color as their call name to make it easier, though I'll have to abbreviate to make it fit. If there's a T they're ticked, if there's a L, they're liver pigmented. I'll likely FH in a few days.

TopDog, do you know what pups you have available for sure? I'll probably get one or two of the "odd" colors.

CS, thanks for putting up your boy. I used him on my girls.

-----
Last edited by Lany on 6/14/2015 2:23:20 AM
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 5:14:18 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

I offered on a couple from this kennel, Lany.

top dog, I will offer on a couple of yours as well when you get them sorted-definitely interested in the ones I mentioned above since I'm expanding to have a color breeding kennel!
 top dog the k9 place
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 11:11:55 AM reply with quote send message to top dog the k9 place Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

CS, I put the dogs you mentioned above up for sale on approval.

Lany, if you'd like to go through the list I posted and say what you're looking for, I'll put those dogs up for sale too. I took the dogs I wanted and the ones CS wanted off the list, so anything else can be yours.

ETA: Also Lany, I'd be interested in one of your solid black dogs.

Heather

-----
Last edited by top dog the k9 place on 6/14/2015 11:26:28 AM

-----
Last edited by top dog the k9 place on 6/14/2015 11:30:59 AM
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 5:55:46 PM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Thanks! I offered on the 3 starters. Will be interesting to see what they produce!

Replies in this thread : 110
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.