Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Question re: rare breeds with no dogs
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/9/2015 8:58:41 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

I was having a look around to see if there was a breed that was desperate for new people - and I found the 'Spanish Water Dogs'

According to their 'Breeder Directory' link there is only one player who owns one dog (which is a starter dog) ...

How do I find out if there are any other SWD's around?

There are none listed for sale, and NONE listed for stud ... does that mean that this breed just does not exist?

Or are there kennels that are abandoned that have some of this breed - and if so - how do I find them if there aren't any dogs with a pedigree to look through?

Anyone have any ideas?

Or is this breed extinct?

Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2015 9:16:17 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I've just started to go through the breed forum and look through the kennels and pedigrees that are listed in the posts to see if anyone has any dogs up for sale or stud in abandoned kennels.

I've found 4 studs so far ...
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2015 9:38:00 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Okay - so I have made the commitment to be the main person who is going to revive this breed.

I have just purchased 10 Starter/Source bitches - and I will be breeding these dogs in my Dalkeith kennel under the prefix of 'Revivals - '

Is there anyone out there at the moment who would like to help me be at the forefront of reviving this breed?

It will mean a long term commitment, source breed using the abandoned studs etc - and a very long haul - but it will be well worth it!
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2015 9:46:19 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

The current price for purchasing source bred starter dogs from your own kennel is $20 per bitch (for a 'random' colour).

If you want a particular coloured bitch - I think the price is higher - but it lets you know if you choose that selection.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2015 9:47:51 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

Odd coincidence, I just logged into my old kennel, Revival, to start doing just this with German Spitz.

I'm source breeding Klees with a few other people, so no free kennels.. yet. In the next couple weeks I'm going to upgrade another family, so I'll def. be interested in helping then.
 BanCree Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/9/2015 10:02:54 PM reply with quote send message to BanCree Kennels Object to Post

If you dig through the all time to dog list you can find kennels with old studs in them to breed with.

I'm doing this with American Foxhounds. I bought starter females to breed with studs in abandoned kennels.
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 3:44:29 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

I'll join you, could get 3 starter bitches, or I'll wait and take 3 bitch pups off you - I'm always in for the long haul and up for supporting rare breeds.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 7:34:58 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Fallen - wow that is a coincidence, haha! Looking forward to when you can join our breed happy :)

BanCree -thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate any tips happy :)

OakWood - thats awesome! I'm so glad you're able to help out - I'll send a PM to you now happy :)
 AdvoKat
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 9:48:38 AM reply with quote send message to AdvoKat Object to Post

At the end of the month I might get another kennel. If I do I'll definitely help out. happy :)
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 11:57:21 AM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

I'm assuming you saw this kennel?

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Willowmede+Kennels

I wish I had room to help! I have been toying with the idea of getting a family sub and reviving some old kennels. I'd love to help out if I end up doing that!!
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 1:59:49 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Willowmede must be active - they finished a champion on 5/31/15
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 3:03:03 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

Willowmede hasnt signed in since May - hence why they dont show up in the breeder directory.
Im hoping they are still active though - ive sent them a message already happy :)
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 3:55:00 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Good luck on your projects! That seems to be quite the undertaking you've all signed up for.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 4:50:40 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I found Willomeade by clicking on the Spanish Water Dog link which took me to the breed info. I hope you get a response!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2015 5:29:26 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

OK I'm up and running - will be a long haul as some of my starters are 4.3 SOP !!
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/11/2015 4:44:08 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Awesome - I'm glad you're up and running Oakwood happy :)

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.