Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Preparing to introduce myself to future puppy's breeder... Help please?
 TCrown
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/13/2015 12:53:49 AM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post   

Hi everyone! Haven't been on much lately but do still jump on to stalk the forum happy :)

Quick question for those who breed dogs in the real world on here... What are some key points you might like to see when first becoming hearing from someone interested in a future puppy of yours (sport bred if that matters)?

I hope to be adding a puppy to my home here in about a year and a half or so. I know which breeder I would like to get the puppy through and I know which of their bitches I am most interested in having a puppy out of when the time comes. I'm part of their FB page and see their updates on dogs they've bred/placed as well upcoming litters and other announcements yet I've never actually spoken with them or been to see their dogs in person (other than dogs in my sport of choice that I know have come from them).

I'd like to let them know of my interest and get a feel for what their plans might be late next year when I would hope to be on the road to adding the puppy to my home. But how do I introduce myself? What do I say now vs waiting until later to ask or tell?

Something like:
"Hi there happy :) I've been watching your updates on your FB page as well as all the lovely dogs you've bred whose owners enjoy sharing about them. I just love what I've seen of the dogs you have bred- their personalities, structures and athletic abilities. You seem to have some really great dogs and produce some exceptional puppies too happy :) I wanted to introduce myself as I hope to be able to add a puppy of yours to my family sometime in the future (1-2 years from now) and would love to begin building a relationship with you all well before I might be looking to bring the pup into my home."...

And then what? Or was that terrible already? I have to dogs already but one was a sort of rescue that I was introduced to by a local trainer and the other was from an out of state breeder who advertises and sells online without really even looking into the homes their pups might be placed in. I've learned as I've went and this time I want to get a puppy from a responsible breeder. One who I can have a relationship with throughout and potentially even after the dogs life. I don't want to give a poor first impression so any help will be greatly appreciated happy :)

Thanks!

Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 1:24:12 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I've never had someone else pick a puppy for me, but expect this breeder probably does that for her litters (very common in the agility world) so am interested to see how that goes but am prepared to trust they know what's best for their puppies and the future homes. They are only a few states away and it's possible I would be able to arrange a time to go visit with them if they would be alright with that (though I have never visited a breeder before having already chosen a puppy to pick up so...). I would hope to have a girl puppy, rough coated, colors/markings I find attractive and out of one of the bitches they own that I am fond of, however all but that last one are very adaptable as I've had both girls and boys in the past and while i have a preference toward girls i would love either one if it was going to become "my" puppy happy :) that and looks are very low on the list, I'd hope not to get a puppy I find just "ugly" (be that color/markings, or the puppies general "look", etc) but know I'd fall in love with it in no time flat after bringing it home. So much more to a dog than its appearance happy :) health tests would be important to me though I believe they do those. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know when it's appropriate to bring any of this up? I would guess just wait for the breeder to ask for preferences in a puppy before stating those. And that health tests should be asked about upfront but how do you not sound like you're questioning they're dogs or quality as a breeder?

So yeah, THIS is why I'm asking for your suggestions. I really have no idea what I would be doing! The first and last time I spoke with a breeder about their dogs I was so very impressed with all that they and their dogs had accomplished together and I told them as much and wrote about what sort of puppy I was hoping to find (personality and working ability) and the things I was looking to work toward in my sport... And I obviously gave them the impression I judged or valued a dog based on its performance and not our relationship together and they quite bluntly told me they would not look to place a puppy with me... I felt terrible I gave them that impression and while it felt like a punch to the gut I respect them for how they were willing to protect their puppies from the impression I had unmeaningly given them. However I hope to learn from that and be sure not to make the same mistake twice!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 1:28:43 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

I think above all HONESTY from day 1 is all important. If the breeder you have chosen is dedicated to their breed, and concerned that the pups they breed go to equally dedicated owners then approach them in a businesslike but friendly way initially and aim to build up a frendship during the time you are waiting for your pup.

Remember that your timescale might be 1-2 years away, but will that fit in with their plans to breed a litter from the bitch you are interested in, and will their choice of sire (if they do in fact chose to breed this bitch in that time frame) suit you?

Be led by the breeder in all matters, tell them what your situation is now, explain you did the unthinkable and bought a dog online, and that you now know differently and that is why you have made the choice to get the advice off a respected breeder for your next dog/competition project/family pet.

Ask them what their plans are for the future. Ask if they will add your name to their waiting list and keep you posted as to what is happening. Ask if they welcome visits and if possible try and arrange one, or ask where they are competing and try and meet up at an event.

The important thing is to build up a relationship with the breeder, which hopefully develops into a friendship that lasts the entire life of your dog and longer.

If your attempts to achieve a good relationship don't work out, I'd say think very carefully about buying from this breeder. Good luck.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 6:00:34 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I would also add that it's not a good idea to come over
a) as an idiot/lunatic
b) grovelling
c) overly sucking up or praising
d) desparate
e) overly picky and fussy ie I want this colour/coat type (when surely the dog you want is the best temperament and trainability for the task ahead of it)
f) a stalker

Also don't be directed to a puppy that isn't your choice UNLESS you are totally committed to letting the breeder choose for you ie if you register an interest in a puppy now, ask when you will be able to reserve a puppy for definate from a planned litter. Ask if you pay a deposit to reserve a puppy where will you be in the picking order from the litter.

Street Wise Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2015 8:13:58 PM reply with quote send message to Street Wise Kennels Object to Post

The information on here is absolutely true!

I just want to share that I went through the same thing when I wanted a RL Bull Terrier.

The cool part is that Anne became my best friend for at least 10 years (until I moved out of state). She was my mentor on learning how to handle dogs at shows, breeding and genetics (I'm still confused about those! LOL) and just better dog care in general.

IF you are lucky, hopefully you can make a good friend of the breeder, as I did.

Best of luck! HEF

Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 5:41:50 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I have done this with my last couple of puppy purchases-contacted the breeder at least a year ahead of time to introduce myself, explain my goals, and that I am willing to wait for the puppy that fits those goals. If there are dogs that I particularly like, I will briefly mention why those stand out to me but that I would be interested in making a visit to meet the dogs in person and to chat more about what I am specifically looking for.

Before I ever contacted either breeder, I had done my research though-talked to tons of people at shows or events with dogs I liked, stalked the OFA database to see the health testing results (in US), and how many of the puppies were tested even if in "pet homes". I joined breed health email lists to see what is common in the breed, and if the breeder encourages open reporting. the current breeder I am considering for 1-2 years down the road has a facebook page that is very active with her puppy owners, some of whom still post birthday pics 10 years later-and I really appreciate that questions are answered openly (with advice I agree with LOL). Her website is informative but not full of "sales pitches", which I'm not fond of. Though the website is not updated often, she does write a description of the expectations for each litter and why she made the match she did-and the descriptions are thoughtful and seem to be born out by the placements of the puppies and their success in performance events or as working dogs. She also openly encourages people to visit before they decide on one of her dogs-I would never buy from a breeder who didn't let me visit.

I guess the best advice is to be yourself and be honest. Don't get your heart set on one thing (especially looks) because that might come across wrong. Personally (and I'm not sure if you were kidding about this), I wouldn't mention in my introduction that I didn't want an ugly puppy, or even specific color patterns/markings-that might give the breeder the impression that you find that more important than health, temperament and suitability for your goals-the breeder should ask you for your preferences. And if color or looks are more important to you, expect that some breeders will not take you seriously.

Keep your intro relatively short, and ask the breeder how far in advance they would want you to get serious with a deposit. If the breeder has a website, they usually have a process for contacting about puppies, so follow that format if you can!

It may be that you have to contact several people to find a good match. It will be worth it to get the right breeder and dog for you!!

(This was CirclingSky in case I timed out)
 CirclingSky
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 5:55:33 AM reply with quote send message to CirclingSky Object to Post

Sorry-got a little carried away and didn't realize you'd already mentioned several of the things I suggested to do before contacting a breeder.

One other thought-I do describe a little bit about my experience with the breed or in the particular sport I am looking for a puppy for, so that the breeder knows the puppy will actually do the things I say I will do, in addition to my specific goals for this puppy. If you've never had that breed, maybe a fairly short assessment of why you feel they are the right breed for you and your goals.

And a last thought-some breeders are not very active on internet/social media, so it may take some time to get a response, especially since it is so far out. I would definitely say in the email that you follow her facebook page and will keep an eye out for updates there, but is she open to contacting more often by email-then i would just send congrats for notable accomplishments or specific questions-trying not to be too pushy!
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 3:29:12 PM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

Some of the best breeders may be older breeders and they will have a wealth of experience but probably won't have social media accounts or websites. Remember the old routes still work - word of mouth recommendations and Breed Club breeder lists are good places to start.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
6/14/2015 9:51:17 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

For me personaly you don't want to come on too strong with the complements. I like my puppy enquiries to tell me abit about themselves in the first contact.
when I contacted a breeder I introduced myself, said a bit about my home, lifestyle, why I wanted one of their dogs, what I was looking for in a pup and any little questions I had about their dogs.

in your case id probably word something like this.

Hello 'breeders name'
My name is 'your name' I live in 'where ever u live' and currenty have two dogs 'say what breeds and ages and sex they are'.
Ive been watching your facebook page with intrest and I very much like your what you have posted about your dogs and have so far met some that you have bred and was impressed with there temperament, conformation and abilities.
Im hoping to bring a puppy into my home in the future and would also like to compeat in 'what ever dog sport your you wish to do if you do with to do one that is'. So im contacting you to enquire about possible future breeding plans and going onto your puppy list if possible.
Im happy to answer any questions you may have about me.

thank you for your time
'your name'
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 12:31:42 AM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

Thank you for all your suggestions! Especially yours, PPVallhunds! Lots of good advice here and a little structure for me to work with. Thanks all!

TCrown happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 5:04:49 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Take time in your initial contact to double check your spelling and grammar. No text talk please, be polite, respectful, in essence 'short and sweet'. Good luck.

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.