.com Forum · Spanish Water Dog

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Spanish Water Dog Revival Report
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/15/2015 7:51:28 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

Spanish Water Dog Revival Report

So I’ve just gone through and assessed the first pups born in the Revival Project and I thought we could keep a thread going in the SWD forum for all of our updates happy :)

I bred 10 bitches with SOPs ranging from 11.75-18.55% to the only remaining outside studs in abandoned kennels (listed in another thread on this forum).

The results were certainly interesting :P

I have ended up keeping:
7 studs – with SOPs ranging from 18.40-33.30%
8 bitches – with SOPs ranging from 15.90-23.80%

The 33.30% male is my highest SOP so far happy :)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14096279

I have placed some pups up for sale as well - Link to kennel:
www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Dalkeith

At the moment I can’t be bothered giving them proper names – so they will be named as:
Revivals – 33.30 – 17.0ss
(the 1st number is their SOP and the second is their ShowShine)

I can’t wait to see what everyone else is breeding with their SWDs happy :)

Other than myself (Dalkeith) we now have 2 other SWD Revival Breeders:

Oakwood Creek: www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Oakwood+Creek

Who has some litters due very soon – looking forward to seeing what comes out of those matings happy :)

And Myths: www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Myths

Who will hopefully be upgrading soon and will be joining our team happy :)

I’m so glad we already have 3 kennels on board – as we’re going to need all the help we can get :P

Please feel free to post any updates on here - I love creative discussion happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 7:54:40 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Forgot to mention - In case you're all wondering why I have all my SWDs on crappy food (Old Boy for adults) - its because there's no need to keep them on a good food when they are source dogs unless you plan on showing them.

I will keep all my SWDs on Old Boy until they reach a point where I feel like showing them - but I don't think this will happen for quite some time hahaha. From what I've read from other source breeders it can take up to 12 months to get them to the point where its worth showing them. (this is with breeding the source girls to the abandoned studs). Obviously if we weren't using those studs it would take years :/
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 9:53:09 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Good on you for taking on this challenge! I started my Gordon Setter source project in June and used mainly source dogs with some show quality dogs mixed in, so I could get my desired traits locked down. Now I use only show quality studs and June 12th marked one year since the start of my project. My highest SOP is 89.15, so yes it takes a long time, but is soooo rewarding!

I look forward to seeing your progress!
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 10:08:51 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

*Jumps onto the bandwagon*

Hello. :P But yup, I'm hoping to get my upgrade within a few days then hopefully I'll be able to get into this right away! I think I'm going to get two rare breeds into this kennel, SWDs and German Spitzes if all goes according to plan.

I'll get a few updates up once I start getting some dogs, but I might nab a few of Dalkeith's sale pups as well.

I think I'll end up calling my SWDs 'White' [name], since my Spitzes are going to be 'Black'. I decided that prior to my hiatus since I was already looking to get into Spitzes; I don't really agree with it anymore but I'm going to roll with it and make it work. :P
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
6/16/2015 5:01:45 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

OK - status report from 'Perro de Agua' SWD's

I have 8 source bitches ranging from 4.35 - 16.30 SOP

and two puppy bitches I've bought off Revival SWD (1st gen from source)

I've had two bitches whelp to an outside stud from an abandoned kennel. The pups range from 7.80 - 32.65 SOP - I've kept all the bitches and highest SOP male (just incase I need him)

The other 6 bitches are in whelp to 4 outside studs from abandoned kennels.

All my attempts to get a response from the one active SWD kennel (Willowmede) have come to nothing. If they read this please please put stud dogs up at public stud.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2015 6:33:18 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

So I've just bred my next 'batch' of litters. It feels weird to be breeding 10 bitches at once! I tell ya what - I hate seeing my balance drop down so quickly though - as the price per stud is $50 at the moment sad :(

Although I did do a quick calculation to try and cheer me up - if we log in each day we get a $50 daily bonus. Each bitch is pregnant for 5 days and then in 'recovery' from a litter for 5 days - so in effect although we are spending $50 on stud feed per litter we are also getting $500 worth of daily log in bonus per litter.

(Obviously that money is going to be spent on lots of different things depending on how active each kennel is)

Anyway - enough of my babbling hahaa. Looking forward to how each of these litters will turn out happy :)
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2015 7:11:50 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Alright! My sub is finally up, so I'm ready to jump into this thing. laugh :D

I'll look into buying some source SWDs once their prices start going down - over the last few days they've been costing 1k+ or around 600. It seems to be working its way down though, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few dogs soon. happy :)

Meanwhile, I've nabbed this guy from Dalkeith:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14096253
I'm hoping to stud him once he gets old enough, he's got a pretty nice SS for a half source. happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2015 10:36:43 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Well I’ve just had my 2nd set of litters born today happy :)

Of the new pups that I kept from this batch the SOPs range from:

20.75-31.35% Studs
11.30-34.25% Broods

Current Top SOP Female:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14122214
SOP: 34.25% with a 13.5SS.

Current Top SOP male:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14096279
SOP: 33.30% with a 17.0SS

I’ve also placed a tonne of SWDs up for sale = so if you need any – please feel free to snap them up happy :)

Any SWDs that I have up for sale will be up for $100 On Approval – that way you can just press the ‘Make an Offer’ button and purchase them for $25 happy :)

Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2015 9:27:09 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I just got my first SWD litter! It wasn't a bad turnout. happy :)

I have three boys for sale right now, listed at 100 but feel free to offer whatever. Highest for sale has a SOP in the 18s I think, lowest at 12. I'll update this post with links and other pups I got later, but I'm on my phone right now so that's difficult haha.

My next litter is due tomorrow out of one of Oakwood's girls that I either borrowed or bought - I forgot which. razz :p

-Myths
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 2:30:16 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Alright, here's my update. happy :) I've now got two litter's worth of pups (both with source broods and current SOP studs, one brood which I bought off of Oakwood a little while ago).

My highest SOP boy is a 37.80, with an absolutely stunning head (9.7):
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14128597
And my highest girl is a 20.40:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14128598
I've also got another good 28.15 boy with a decent head and forequarters:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14128596

Other than that I've got four pups for sale ranging from 11.35-20.80 SOP, listed at $100 but you can just go ahead and offer $25 if you want one of them. happy :)

-Myths
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 4:33:24 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Wow Myths! That 37.80% boy is stunning!!! laugh :D

Well done!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 1:56:17 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Congrats Myths, I'm delighted!! He's great.

Strange thing is you bred Barcelona to the male I had used on her and got a much higher quality litter than I did - I wonder if the resulting pups are just very very random or if there is a programmed formula with source bitches ie the more you breed them the better the pups get.

Hope you'll be putting him up at stud sowe can use him.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 2:02:44 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I've noticed when there are source dogs in the pedigree stats are all over the board.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 2:15:35 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Yes, thank you so much Oakwood! I was surprised too. I was initially going to breed to a different stud but then I just went with the same one, I'm not exactly sure why. razz :p Gut instinct!

Anyhow, he'll definitely be up for stud, reckon I can make my first merit sire out of him? razz :p That's probably aiming a bit high.

But yeah, sources seem to be all over the place. I had a Spitz litter out of my lowest SOP girl (she's only a 2 something) and one of the lowest current SOP studs and I got a stunner out of her while my highest girl + the highest SOP stud's litter sort of flunked. razz :p
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 9:36:57 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

[edit] GUYS. I JUST REALIZED. We took SWDs all the way from the bottom of the breed list to rank 143. O.o We're ranked above some breeds who are getting group placements haha.

Just got another litter out of Barcelona. happy :) This time I bred her to Ferdinand, nothing spectacular but I got this 20.85 girl out of the litter:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14155408

She's got a decent SS.

I also nabbed a few more source girls since the SWD source prices went back down to $20. happy :) Those litters will be coming on the 16th.

Also, just had a few puppy sales to Indiana Kennels:
www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Indiana+Kennels

It looks like they're going to be getting into the breed. I sent them the link to both this thread and the abandoned studs thread presuming that they're not apart of one of your two's family subs? razz :p

-Remy

-----
Last edited by Myths on 7/11/2015 9:59:33 AM
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 4:01:32 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Hey great that Indiana is on board - not anything to do with me so think they might be new in SWD's

I'll go have a look at my SWD's and see what my SOP's are
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 4:17:35 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

My SWD's range from 17.25 - 37.40 SOP. My current best ss is 19.5

I'm waiting on the two bitches that I had off Dalkeith to turn 30 days (currently 26 days) and am still undecided as to which male to breed them to.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 4:42:47 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Well, it looks like Indiana FHed the two pups they got from me... Maybe they accidentally purchased from the wrong breed? razz :p

The two girls you got from Dalkeith look nice Oakwood. happy :) Duck 2 Water has a nice TNB~

The pups I've got in my kennel range from 7.85% (source bitch) to my 37.80% boy. The highest bitch I've got is 20.85%. >.> There's a pretty big gap there haha, I think the 37.80% was a bit of a fluke lol.

The highest SS I've got is a 19.1 bitch that I bought off of Dalkeith. Second is a 18.4 out of Barcelona.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 12:09:41 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Quick update:

Current Brood SOP Range: 11.30 - 34.25%

Current Stud SOP Range: 18.75 - 33.30%

I have some broods who will turn of age in 4 days time - they will be bred the moment they turn 30 days lol - so I will have some litters soon - yay!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2015 7:24:50 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

I've bred my two girls from Dalkeith, one is very tight half brother sister so I just want to see what SOPs throw and I've gone out to a higher SOP for the other bitch - watch this space!
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2015 8:27:01 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I had a few litters today, but there was absolutely -nothing- good haha. The only keepers I got were a 24.15 boy and a 17.60 girl. I had bought another few source girls which I had used in that, FHed one of them after that.

I've got one more litter due on the 19th, and one more on the 20th after that. happy :) One of the girls is a bitch I bought from Dalkeith (18.55), the other is another source. I bred them to Colorado and Ferdinand, though I'll start breeding to some source dogs soon I think. I've just been trying to get some decent SOP broods, which hasn't really been happening. >.>

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.