Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Caring for a deaf dog?
 linlin23
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/25/2015 11:30:25 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post   

Hello!

My family is considering adopting a dog, and I found one rescue who seems to be a perfect match for our family, in my opinion. The catch? She's deaf. I don't think this is really a big deal-- her foster family has already taught her some hand signals-- but the rest of my family considers that to be a deal breaker.

She's a small fluffy type dog, by the way, and no behavioral issues have been mentioned so far. So I'm not talking about a rambunctious dalmatian here or anything of that sort.

So, my questions:

Is taking care of a deaf dog really that much harder than a hearing one? Is it a big deal?

How do you get their attention?

(Sort of the same question) What's the best way to correct them when I'd normally tell a dog "No"?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2015 2:19:56 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I have a deaf dog, although my situation is different in that she is an old dog who only recently lost her hearing- we had many years when she could hear and have the benefit of gotten to know each other then.

Is taking care of a deaf dog really that much harder than a hearing one? Is it a big deal?

-I think it depends on your situation and on your dog and on what you want to do with the dog. If you want a dog who will instantly obey, or who you can let wander the farm unsupervised, then a deaf dog isn't likely for you. Likewise if you have small children who might sneak up on and startle the dog.

That said, not a lot changed for me when my dog went deaf- it even took awhile before I was sure she could no longer hear. But she has the benefit of being a long-time dog and she has learned to take cues from my body language and I have learned to read hers quite innately. And I'd always paired hand signals with commands anyway.

Some things did change- she never had a hand signal for "leave it" and what I thought was general good behavior around unattended food turned out to be just a strong "leave it"- which obviously if she couldn't hear it, she couldn't obey. So, small adjustments- if I put food on the table and leave the room, I have her come with me. If I hear her doing something forbidden when I'm in the other room, I can't do much about it until I can get to the other room and physically interrupt the behavior. That sort of thing. I also find myself telling strangers she is deaf so they don't think she is rude when she doesn't respond to her name.

How do you get their attention?

- depends on the dog. My dog sticks to me like glue, so she is normally watching anyway. Sometimes I stand still so she will stop and look back at me. I am careful to give hand signals in her line of sight. I go to her if she is in another part of the house or sleeping etc.

For younger dogs or different situation, you can find instructions on the web or buy pre-made vibrating collars that you can use to train different commands. (for instance, that when it vibrates, it means "come"wink ;). Some people use lights or lasers to help signal. Some dogs will respond to vibrations- if you stomp on your floor they will feel it.

(Sort of the same question) What's the best way to correct them when I'd normally tell a dog "No"?

-Depends on the dog and the situation. Physical corrections obviously would still work. Lots of redirection as well- distract from the bad behavior and replace with something better. And setting them up for success- don't let them get in trouble in the first place. Dogs also aren't stupid- they know by body language and gesture when you are unhappy as well.

Overall, I'd say how much work a deaf dog is depends on the situation and the dog. For a high energy dog, or a dog that has always been deaf, it may be harder than an old dog who goes deaf over time. For a dog like this, coming into your household deaf, it will take some work, learning and adjustment. What I think is key is that to the rest of your family, this is a deal breaker. And everyone would need to be on board in order for a deaf dog to work well. So this may not be the dog for you.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2015 2:56:14 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

(I haven't been here in forever and can't remember how to quote so I'll just paste)

"I think it depends on your situation and on your dog and on what you want to do with the dog. If you want a dog who will instantly obey, or who you can let wander the farm unsupervised, then a deaf dog isn't likely for you. Likewise if you have small children who might sneak up on and startle the dog. "

We wouldn't be having any dog roam around unsupervised, and there are no small children in my family, so that won't be an issue.

She's an older dog, about 7 years old, but since she's a small dog I know they tend to have long lifespans. She's been in foster care for at least a couple months, so I'm assuming her foster family has been working with her and they'd be able to tell us more precisely where she needs work. I don't know if she has always been deaf or not.

I won't paste all the training advice but I do appreciate it, it's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

"Overall, I'd say how much work a deaf dog is depends on the situation and the dog. For a high energy dog, or a dog that has always been deaf, it may be harder than an old dog who goes deaf over time. For a dog like this, coming into your household deaf, it will take some work, learning and adjustment. What I think is key is that to the rest of your family, this is a deal breaker. And everyone would need to be on board in order for a deaf dog to work well. So this may not be the dog for you."

Thanks, I understand their point about deafness being an issue but I don't want them to rule out an otherwise good match, and we wouldn't adopt her without everybody being on board and willing to help. We need to discuss which issues we can handle-- a younger but higher energy dog, an older one with disabilities, etc. We'd have to talk to her foster family to get an idea of how much work that is.

Thanks again for the advice!

-----
Last edited by linlin23 on 6/26/2015 2:58:47 AM
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2015 6:59:23 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

I would also suggest if the rescue permits Foster to adopt, where you have the dog a week or so, they provide food, and it's a trial as to how the dog fits with your family.
Also many times rescue groups are willing to help support the adopter for example for the adjustment period. Does your family have kids? Would it be your first dog?

Many Foster to adopt families work well for the dog and family.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2015 11:42:13 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

I'd like to do a foster-to-adopt if possible, but I don't know for sure if the rescue allows it or not.

There are kids in my family but the youngest is 12, so no young children. This would be out first dog, but we've had some foster dogs in the past so we have some experience from them.
 Calming Waters
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2015 4:31:45 PM reply with quote send message to Calming Waters Object to Post

I knew someone who used a vibrating collar to get the dog's attention. It wasn't a shock collar, but the dog would come to them or look at them when they pressed the button. It seemed to work well. We even tested it to show that it only vibrated.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/30/2015 12:45:12 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Update LinLin? This is Chery from here and Purrs Port.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 1:40:57 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Thanks for the suggestion, Calming!

I asked in an email about a foster-to-adopt and haven't heard back yet. We're looking at a couple other dogs so far, although I don't feel like I have enough information on the others to say I think they're "a match".

Right now I'm trying to do my research because I feel like my family is overestimating the amount of work for this specific dog-- despite being deaf, I get the impression she's very laid back and well behaved. So I'll try to get them to reconsider if I can get information that supports that. We just need to compare the most potentially problematic elements of each dog, be it deafness or lack of training or a high energy level.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 3:04:33 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Maybe meeting her will help put their minds at ease? The right dog will come along! happy :)

I'd love to see her picture too! wink ;)
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2015 4:00:04 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Did you ever get to meet her?
 Street Wise Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 6:05:11 PM reply with quote send message to Street Wise Kennels Object to Post

The advice you have been given is excellent.

I had a deaf white Bull Terrier named Harley. She was born deaf, but like in humans, her eyes and nose really made up for a lot!

Remember, when working with a deaf dog, always make sure you are in their eye sight.

Obviously, leashes on a walk aren't optional. :P

They do very well with hand signals! I was able to get Harley to sit, stay, "go to bed", and some other small things. Very helpful!

Good luck, and I hope all goes well. happy :)
 Jumping Jacks of Glory
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 9:27:34 PM reply with quote send message to Jumping Jacks of Glory Object to Post

My dog is deaf and was born that way. It has been no different to take care of him. They get attached and know to stay with you. I personally just always keep him on leash and if we're in the backyard you just go over and they learn to follow when you come from them, they even start looking for you.

JJG
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 11:36:50 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Quick update:

We were considering another non-deaf dog at the time and pursued that for a couple weeks, but we just found out her foster decided to keep her. We're still looking at dogs online but less actively-- we aren't in a rush.

I just checked and the deaf dog I was referring to is still available for adoption, so although I hope she finds a home soon, she may still be an option if we begin more actively searching again.

Thank you for all of the advice, even if nothing happens with this dog I'm still glad to know more about it. After all, a hearing dog could suffer hearing loss as they age. I appreciate it, and will keep you posted on if we find another dog to seriously consider.

Thanks!

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.