.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 33
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : naming puppies
 kc meadows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/29/2015 7:44:54 PM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post   

Just asking because a player came to me quite hateful!! because I did not put there prefix in front of an unamed puppy I bought from there kennel. This is the first time anyone has said anything if this is an unspoken courtesy please you all let me know. Cause they were really mad at me.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 8:05:56 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

It depends largely on the person. Personally, I always make a point of naming unnamed pups with their respective kennel's prefix, but I usually also PM the breeder to see if they would prefer that I name them after a specific scheme / pattern.

However, seeing as you bought the dog, and the breeder had set that dog up for sale willingly, they can no longer control what you do with that pup and if they wished to have it named after a certain style they should have done so before selling. They have no right to get angry with you over the fact; if naming the pup with a certain prefix wasn't apart of the deal then the breeder has no control over it.

Basically, it is a general courtesy that I believe most people follow after, but the breeder shouldn't have gotten angry about it either.

-Myths
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 8:37:02 PM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

If they would have just educated me it wouldn't have been a problem but they were quite nasty. Thanks for the input now in the future I will respect the kennel names I buy from. And ask for there input thanks again
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 9:06:04 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

My thoughts are the dog was placed up for sale unnamed, so the breeder did not care what the dog was named. If they did, they should have either a. Named the dog or b. put the dog up for sale on approval, so they could name the dog after you submitted an offer.

Typically when I purchase a dog or puppy from another breeder, I will name them with the Kennel's prefix but add "ad Tavin" at the end, so in case the breeder wants to use the name down the road, it's not taken by a dog they no longer own. For example, I have a Gordon Setter bitch named Dondaig First Maid at Tavin. I have messaged this particular breeder (pooh98) if she had a preference on how I named the dogs I purchased from her. I told her my ideas and she was happy with them. I have seen another kennel put "please use my prefix" in the call name so the purchaser knows her wishes.

I recommend messaging a breeder when you first purchase a dog from them. At the same time, people need to take a chill pill and be happy someone is buying their puppies.

I had a kennel tell me she didn't like the feeding method I was doing for non-show quality pups, and wouldn't drop it, so I eventually stopped doing business with her.

Some people are very opinionated and do not stop to think how their words affect others. I am sorry you had to deal with this.
 country meadow
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 9:14:43 PM reply with quote send message to country meadow Object to Post

The sad part is I really didn't know I was doing something wrong or I would have done it does anyone think I should ask jeff to change the name for me I don't want anyone upset over something I just didnt know.
 country meadow
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 9:16:44 PM reply with quote send message to country meadow Object to Post

It was really very upsetting I want to have fun playing the game. Everyone else has been so nice and helpful when I have ?
 Ariege
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 9:57:58 PM reply with quote send message to Ariege Object to Post

I'm so sorry to hear that another player upset you - thats not fair on you sad :(

Like the others have mentioned - you didn't intentionally do anything wrong - so it's not your fault happy :)

If I place a pup up for sale on no approval and it's un-named - then I honestly don't care less what the new owner calls it.

If I wanted my prefix at the start - I would have named it myself. At the end of the day it still says 'Bred by Ariege' on the dogs page under the 'Breeder' section happy :)

If I buy it off someone - I will quite often call it something like 'Ariege - Shadows of {Breeders Prefix}' and that way it clearly states in the names who bred it and who owns it happy :)

At the end of the day it's no big deal and they really shouldn't have been mean to you about it.

This game is a lot of fun - think of it as the dog park - you get to meet great people, enjoy your love of dogs, and occasionally you come across a turd. You just gotta focus on the good bits happy :) :P
 KC Golden Ridge
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 10:19:55 PM reply with quote send message to KC Golden Ridge Object to Post

Thanks you guys made me feel a lot better taking youguys advice not gonna let it bother me and I gave it a great name LOL
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 10:50:59 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I figure if the people didn't care enough to name their dogs before putting them up for sale, it's no big deal. Sometimes I'll name them with the breeders kennel, but most of the time it's fair game. The breeder is still listed, they still get the messages if the dog finishes, why does its name matter? Live and learn, you can't please everyone.
 speedy2
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2015 11:03:04 PM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post

Hi.

I've only recently learned this courtesy and now use it - but I've been playing for years. As everyone said, if this is important to a breeder you then either name the pup before you sell it or put it on approval so you can chat about it.

As said, most people are nice and polite here. Sometimes someone gets tetchy ... then we all take a deep breath and remember it's a game we play for fun, and smile and move on.

Sometimes I get a little twitchy about people misfeeding my pups ... so I now do a courtesy email when someone buys a pup, a bit like the breeder sheets that go with real pups, just explaining the diet the pup is on, and when to move to adult food and the benefits of good condition.

Hang in there - most of us are nice and you're doing fine.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 12:33:09 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

And welcome to the game happy :)
 A Little Pixie Dust
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 1:57:17 AM reply with quote send message to A Little Pixie Dust Object to Post

Personally, I always name the puppies I buy with their breeder's prefix. If they want to name them that't fine with me. I actually just offered on a Dal that the breeder wanted to name first. I never ask about specific names because most of the time my names are just random anyway.

I would *like* people to use my prefix when buying unnamed puppies, especially if they plan on finishing them because I am a bit OCD about my champions bred all having the same prefix. That being said I never get mad when people don't use my prefix. I am selling an unnamed puppy there is a strong possibility someone will buy it and name it whatever they want. I view it as more of a preference not a requirement. Jeff put the feature in the game for a reason, people wanted to sell puppies unnamed. Before we had to name each puppy before we could put it up for sale and that was a pain.

Don't stress too much! It's just a game and if the breeder cared that much they should have named it before they put it up for sale.

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 2:57:02 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Well, I was keeping the issue private, but since kc meadows has chosen to make this public, I might was well make the message I sent public now too. Here is is:

Putting your kennel prefix on a dog you bought from me that I bred IS offensive. Taking credit for breeding that puppy by putting your own prefix on it IS offensive. It is common courtesy (or at least it use to be in this game) to put the BREEDER'S kennel prefix on dogs they bred. By putting your own kennel prefix on the dog's name, you're saying that you're taking credit for work *I* put into that breeding and so YES, that does offend me! And simply apologizing without changing the name might as well be spitting in my face.

EXAMPLE: I bought this puppy (unnamed) from hnc2010 kennels. www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14078870 When I went to name it, did I put my "SU" prefix on the dog? NO! I put the "HNC" prefix on the dog and gave the breeder credit. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!!!!

First off, I am not angry or mad with this user.

Now then…having reread it several times, it certainly was uncalled for to write in all caps and I now see that it was rude of me to say, “And simply apologizing without changing the name might as well be spitting in my face,” when that could have been left out altogether. I am sorry for that and have already privately apologized to the user prior to discovering that they chose to make this a public issue.

With that said, however, I do feel that I was educating this user. (I provided them with an example, for crying out loud!!)

Additionally, is Grouse Meadows the same person as kc meadows and KC Golden Meadows? I ask this because on 2/8/2015, Grouse Meadows purchased a puppy from me. The dog was pre-named with my prefix (because like several people have already mentioned, breeders that want their prefix on the dog should just name the dog themselves…so I did.) Shortly after purchasing the pup, I got this message:

Would you please reset the Name on your bitch puppy that I bought SU Up For Sale is a lousy name to carry and I am sure that you did not mean it. I am not sure if you can do this unless I sell her back to you and you reset and then I buy her back.
I am restarting this kennel in Danes.
Thank you

To which I replied:

I don't think I can reset it, though I would be happy to do so if you know how. I would be happy to let people name the dogs they purchase from me themselves, but after seeing several put their own prefix on MY dog instead of mine, I've started naming them again to avoid this issue. Sorry for the crappy name, but after playing the game on an off again for nearly 10 years, I'm all out of creative, "wow" names. If this is an issue as well, I will just start FHing dogs, I guess. (Don't really need the money...) Again, if you know how to reset the name, please let me know and I'll do it.
To which they replied:

Thank you. I am quite pleased t o have your prefix on the name try "Ladies Who Lunch" Yes I know it's odd but I give my dogs Odd names because it is fun.
Thanks

I renamed the dog as she requested. Later that month, several more puppies were purchased by this person and I again gently reminded them about the kennel prefix:

Enjoy your new pup! It would be nice if you would kindly rename him with my "SU" prefix in front of the name to give credit to the breeder (i.e. me). It used to be a pretty understood thing/common courtesy on this game that the breeder's prefix precedes the name, as this is how it generally works with real life breeders…
That (naming to include my kennel prefix) never happened. Anyways, my point is if Grouse Meadows is indeed the same person as kc meadows and KC Golden Meadows, then they WERE previously “educated” way back in February on prefix names.

I agree with everyone on here that I should have named the dogs prior if I cared that much about it. Honestly, the naming thing doesn’t matter much to me, but in this case, I (wrongly) assumed that kc meadows was also Grouse Meadows and after already informing Grouse Meadows four months ago about kennel prefixes, I was a little upset that the other “meadows” kennel (kc meadows) continued to name several of my pups with her kennel prefix. If kc meadows is someone entirely different, then I am sincerely sorry for my behavior towards this user. It is not typical of me to act this way.
 RockBottomHounds
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 3:50:54 AM reply with quote send message to RockBottomHounds Object to Post

Can't you both CHILL? For Dogs sake its a GAME!

This is sheer pettiness SU - You can't DEMAND a new owner adds your kennel name (either as a prefix or suffix) so if you want a dog named either put them up for sale on approval and message the interested party to discuss mutually acceptable names before accepting the offer or name the puppy BEFORE putting it up for sale! Simple. Oh and think about the names you pick - I agree crappy names are unnecessary and unhelpful.

I give you credit for realising that you were out of order in your message - it WAS horrible, mean spirited and unnecessary. I also give you credit for changing a crappy name when asked - good on you.

So can't you and KC make friends and chalk it up to experience, move on and work together?

Obviously it's great to sell dogs and finding a new kennel who wants your stock is a big bonus, so work together.

As for KC I think you should chalk it up to experience, move on but remember if a dog is unnamed when you buy it to either message the seller prior to offering (or add message in box under offer box) to request that either they don't name it, they name it with both kennel names, or your suggestion for a name. I do think you were right to ask other players opinions on the matter and hopefully you'll be wiser in future, as will SU.

IMO if the dog I'm selling isn't named I don't care what the new owner calls it, nor do I care if it bears my affix or not when they name it - of course it's nice if they include it but I know I bred it and good luck to them if they finish it so why shouldn't they have their choice of name on it.
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 4:46:11 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

I just wanted to respond on me going to the open forum with this I didn't mention the kennel or print the messaage I received I just wanted everybodys help on the naming rules or courtesies of naming new puppies one again thanks for everyones input feel a lot better about it.
 Elusive Border Collies
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 4:50:24 AM reply with quote send message to Elusive Border Collies Object to Post

Just wanted to add... Even if someone names a puppy with their prefix instead of the original breeder prefix all the actual breeder credit goes to the breeder (champions bred, gch bred, etc). It also shows up on the page who bred the dog (which everyone of course knows).

Just saying I don't think this person was really trying to take credit for anything. Merely naming a dog something the wanted, which is actually a pretty common new person thing.

We need to bring back SD breed mentors. Helping people instead of jumping down throats, that's how we will get people to stay and contribute to the community.
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 7:10:33 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I used to name puppies using their breeder's prefix/kennel name but then I noticed in the naming rules it says,

"Do not use usernames of any of the users on the site other than yourself. If your name is similar to another user MAKE SURE that other users can tell the difference."

I figured it was against the rules so I stopped doing it. I didn't want to break any rules. >.< So far no one has ever messaged me about it or anything.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 1:02:09 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

posted by RockBottomHounds

IMO if the dog I'm selling isn't named I don't care what the new owner calls it, nor do I care if it bears my affix or not when they name it - of course it's nice if they include it but I know I bred it and good luck to them if they finish it so why shouldn't they have their choice of name on it.

I agree with this and typically do not care. I don't even care if kc meadows keeps the name on the dog now! I simply thought kc meadows and Grouse Meadows were the same person and as mentioned in my previous post and as such I thought I had already informed this person about naming prefixes.

Anyways, moving forward, I will plan to either FH pups I don't want vs. listing them for sale at all, list them for sale but with approval (so I can message them regarding the prefix issue), or name them prior to listing them for sale and the buyer will just have to live with the name given to the pup. (Sorry, but "Ladies Who Lunch" is just as crappy as "Up For Sale" IMO, so why bother?)

Everyone here has given very valid points. Kudos to those wanting to help. I have been on the fence about quitting the game for some time now, as all I really seem to do is breed for betterment, but rarely show (as it is time consuming to pick handlers and I'm quite short on time in real life. Maybe it's time for me to take action. happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 1:29:44 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Think carefully before throwing in the towel - you breed super dogs and add much to the competition and bloodlines. This naming matter isn't mega important enough to warrant giving up.

I think sometimes we are all dealing with RL issues and use SD as an escape, when issues surface in SD it can simply be the catalyst to our RL problems that push us (and our responses) 'over the edge'.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 4:28:04 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

At the end of the day once a person sells a dog they lose all rights to it. So if they sell an un named dog the new owner has he right to call it whatever they want.
It will forever say on the dogs page who bred it so the orignal breeder will get the 'credit'.

If having your affix on all dogs you breed is important to some people then they shouldn't sell un named dogs simple.

I would not put someone affix on an UN named dog I brought as I wouldn't want others doing it with the ones I sell personaly as it then takes up those names so I can't use them myself, unless they asked me to before I named it.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2015 4:47:03 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Jeez, I have been playing since the beginning of time, and I just recently goofed when naming a bought puppy. I don't normally name until almost 30 days old. If I get in a naming frenzy, it is quite possible to overlook the bought pup amongst my own. Unfortunately, this time I didn't catch the error until it was too late to rename.
I've also had the tables turned on me. Whether knowingly or unknowingly, I would never get my panties in such a bunch. S#*t happens, it's a game.

Replies in this thread : 33
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.