.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : feeding puppies
 Gymea
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/30/2015 11:30:59 PM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post   

OK, maybe I'm dumb or wasting money.

However I put all the puppies I breed on a good custom ration.

That way if I decide to keep them, I don't have that much work to do to get them to breeding/showing status.

If I decide to sell them, the new owner doesn't have much time and money to spend to get them to breeding/showing status. I don't lower their food because they're up for sale - sometimes I decide to keep them anyway.

Yet, stupid me, I continually buy puppies in a range of kennels/breeds that come to me with very low condition, and sometimes even negative points in muscle and grooming.

I commented to a mentor of mine that feeding pups well was not rocket science ... and my mentor agreed.

Do you save that much by putting your pups onto Old Boy or a custom equivalent? Am I being dumb? I'm spending a lot of days with pups on great food before I can show either gender or breed from the girls.

Comments are sought.

Gymea
 Elusive Border Collies
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2015 1:45:44 AM reply with quote send message to Elusive Border Collies Object to Post

I personally keep all my sale puppies on pet house for puppies in case someone does want to buy them. Their condition will go up a point a day or something but not bad enough that they can't catch up.

Custom rations are really expensive for puppies though if you just plan on selling them so I only use custom rations on my keepers. Personally with all my extra sessions sometimes I lose money every day from my food/entry bill. A dollar could be the difference from breaking even and losing money.

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2015 4:31:42 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

My shown breed puppies get a custom ration from day 1. My other pups get whatever takes my fancy. I don't change the food if someone buys one, HOWEVER as basics can't make custom feeds I will happily switch puppy food to whatever the buyer wants if they message me to ask beforehand.
 speedy2
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 1:51:45 AM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post

I'm still working on getting condition up in puppies/dogs I have bought. In a range of breeds. Sigh.
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 2:48:46 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

I've been playing on/off for 9 years and have always fed my dogs the same way and never had any issues - nor have I ever heard any complaints from those who buy my pups.

My feeding rules are:

Automatic puppy ration that all pups are born on: Custom Ration 'Pups 1171' (all fat, nothing else)

If I plan to keep a female pup as a brood - she stays on this til Day 14 - then goes onto Pet House for Adults.

If I plan to keep a male pup - he goes straight to Old Boy Adults (cheapest ration since it doesn't affect how he produces)

If I plan to Show a pup - it goes onto a Custom Ration: 'Pups Sess 1666' which is then switched to 'Adults Sess 1666' at day 14. i stop sessioning once Coat and Muscle reach 18-19 and just let the good food do the rest for me. I save money this way. Once all stats have reached 20 and been at 20 for several days then I place Show dogs on Pet House for Adults. They do not lose any condition on this food so I don't bother keeping them on a Custom food.

If I plan on selling a pup I place bitches on Pet House for Pups, and dogs on Old Boy Adult.

You do save money doing it this way - and I've never had a single person complain about it happy :)

Ofcourse if the person messages me prior to buying a pup I'm more than happy to put it on a better food for them.

PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 12:56:06 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

i thinhk a lot will dep-end on how much you breed. i will only use custom ration for pups i plan to show. any i dont want i get rid of on day 1, a few i put up for sale but would rather not keep i feed the same as i do the ones i plan to keep but not show which is just pet house.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.