Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Sun Bleaching...Help!!
 ShowMuttz
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/7/2015 9:22:24 AM reply with quote send message to ShowMuttz Object to Post   

I have a very sun bleached blue merle MAS, and I'm looking for tips on how to get the red tint out of her coat. I don't want to whiten for fear of making it worse on her black spots, but I don't want to darken either for fear of loosing contrast. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

There will be majors at all her upcoming shows, and I really don't want to take her in the ring with her coat looking like this D:

PHOTO: sta.sh/01npgat7d4rg
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 7:27:50 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I think in future prevention would be better than cure so maybe one of the grooming coat preparation sprays with a silicon sunscreen used as a routine part of your grooming might save the coat from bleaching.
In the meantime I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest if you don't want to use a whitener chalk or a 'blackening' shampoo. I think there used to be a shampoo called something like 'tru blu' which brightens existing blues and whites but I'm not sure who made it. Maybe you could try a human 'blue rinse' wash in, wash out temporary rinse (like the 'blue ladies' have) a couple of weeks before a show, see what effect it has on the reddened coat. I don't think it will make it blue again, and I worry the coat might appear 'lilac' as the rinse wears off. I honestly think a 'black on black' shampoo, even though it will darken the coat, might be the best option until you can get to the end of season, trim the bleached ends, use a silicon coat protector and maybe use a lightweight bodysuit whenever she is out in the yard in the sunlight.
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2015 7:24:04 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I think a blackening shampoo would be your best bet. Black on Black doesn't really affect lighter areas of coat (I've used on brindle & white dogs with no change to their white). I know Isle of Dogs makes an excellent black shampoo as well. I would either skip a black conditioner (like all systems midnight) or carefully apply it to just the black areas. It would definitely stain white/light areas though!

Prevention would be key in the future. I'm not sure how well it works, but christensen ice on ice spray says it has a sunscreen in it to prevent sun bleaching. You could also only let your dog out in shaded areas or at dawn and after the sun starts to go down. I think putting a coat on the dog would be too hot, but it would also prevent sun bleaching.
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 3:28:33 PM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

I'm sure you can buy 'bodysuits' made of lightweight stretch nylon made of the same material that childrens uv protection swim wear is made of. They are designed especially to protect coats from sun bleaching. Can't for the life of me recall the 'trade name' though, sorry.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 3:30:38 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Playapup make doggy sun suits - Amazon sell them

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.