Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Question: Does anyone ever purchase males?
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/11/2015 11:03:19 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post   

I was cleaning out my kennel (not my closet, lol!) and was putting dogs up for sale, and I chose to FH all the boys that I was going to sell because I feel no one ever buys boys.

If I am looking to purchase new blood - I always look at the girls.

Do many people actually purchase males from other kennels?

Just curious happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 11:25:22 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I periodically will buy a boy or two to bring in new blood. Or if I see a boy with a trait I need or want, I scoop that boy up. A few weeks ago I bought a not so pretty Borzoi boy because he had a gait below 10 ... Now if only I could find a Zoi with a coat above 10, I would pay hundreds for that! laugh :D
 Legend Has It
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2015 11:31:54 PM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post

I do, sometimes cause I'd rather buy a male than pay some stud fees. Especially is I plan on breeding with him more than once. Especially when I'm entering a breed.
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 3:30:52 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Yes I buy males.

Sometimes I'll show them, other times they are better than my in house males so they'll move into my stud kennel.

Probably if I added it up it would be cheaper to use outside studs than feed my boys ... however I hate to fh a good boy with a good trait who is just a little below show level. still can't think of them as just binary digits.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 5:33:01 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Interesting happy :) Good to know some people buy boys happy :)

I will endeavor to keep a couple of boys to sell in future happy :)

Rij of Chaos and Havoc
(posting from my other kennel)
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 7:33:47 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I will buy boys if they are better than my current studs, have traits I am specfically working on or match well with more than one female. I will generally show them if they are show quality. However I only really buy dogs when my kennels aren't full, which they all are right now so I'm not really checking breed for sale pages. If someone posts their dogs for sale with high SOP or with nice traits in the forums (which I check daily) I will at least take a look and see if it's worth making space!

-----
Last edited by CS Astronomical on 7/12/2015 7:34:27 AM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 3:07:02 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I tend to not buy males as id rather just use studs than take up space in kennel with another male.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 5:03:43 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I'll buy males, If I happen to be looking through dogs for sale and a nice boy catches my eye I'll buy him. If I'm keen on a stud (even too old for the show ring) I'd rather buy than pay a couple of stud fees.
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2015 9:52:09 PM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

I buy boys too if the are a good match to some of my females. I am still so new at this game I know I have too many boys in all my kennels
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 12:15:27 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by PPvallhunds
I tend to not buy males as id rather just use studs than take up space in kennel with another male.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2015 11:43:29 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I know I buy males occasionally but not really that often. It would have to be one that I feel is showable (note food/sessioning/condition) and/or I expect to breed to several times.

If you have a really nice boy that you can't keep, I'd list him for a week and see what happens. Take into consideration the food/condition. If he's not good enough to show (and be prepared for that) then there are probably better males around for breeding. You can make exceptions if he has a very good number where the breed is generally lacking.
 Agamede
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/14/2015 10:57:24 AM reply with quote send message to Agamede Object to Post

In Siberians I usually buy males once or twice every few months, but only if they are finishable. There are often partially or mostly sessioned dogs for sale that I buy and finish, even if I don't end up breeding them much.
 JiChiDi Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2015 4:13:12 PM reply with quote send message to JiChiDi Kennel Object to Post

I buy males, usually to show. One of my other kennels is actually just males. I am super impatient with breeding. I have managed to breed some pretty good dogs in this kennel, but I still buy from others in my breeds

Here is a list of my kennels and breeds. If anyone has good males they would like to sell vs. FH-ing, let me know.

JiChiDi- Norwegian Buhund
Soliatina- Collie
Formesia- Chihuahua
Legerest- Whippet
Chidiego- Dalmatian (just offered on some today)
HollowWood- my basic account, currently looking for a breed just to show.

-Jill
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2015 9:51:27 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I'll buy males in my obedience kennel. Most of the time if I buy an obedience dog I dont even pay attention to gender.
 Airboarding2
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2015 9:53:47 AM reply with quote send message to Airboarding2 Object to Post

I always look what is for sale but tend to buy more bitches for new blood than dogs.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.