Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Not Having Fun In This Kennel. What would you do?
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/13/2015 2:27:04 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post   

So I have a family account plus one basic. In all my other accounts I am having fun, love checking the results, seeing the pups being born etc.

In this kennel I am just "ehh, blah". Some days I am not even sure I log in. In one breed, even though I consistently win BOB/BOS there is nothing exciting. The breeds popularity just isn't there. Everyday is just more of the same, if you know what I mean. I have the number one dog, 197 GCH pts, and I am just like "oh look, Cash won again... whatever."

In the other breed, it is a popular breed, but again I just feel like I am not excited by showing in that breed.

Oh and the kennel is in debt <$400.

What would you do if you felt this way?
 Picturesque
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 2:54:39 PM reply with quote send message to Picturesque Object to Post

Sell off the dogs, drop the kennel and start a new one. Or sell off the dogs and rebuild the kennel slowly, taking in one or two dogs to finish to find a breed I truly enjoy.
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 3:18:18 PM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

Thank you.

I should have said, this is my oldest kennel and I do have a history with it and the name. I don't want to drop it completely.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 4:37:57 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

If your current breed doesn't keep your interest, I'd drop the breed and look for a new one. happy :)
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 6:07:03 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I'd Either drop the breeds and try something new (maby a colour breeding project) or realy cut the breeds back and get in another breed.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 6:15:36 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Almost Heaven - I had this exact thing happen with one of the kennels in my Fam Sub. (except that particular kennel didnt have a money issue).

I was extremely active in 4 of my 5 kennels, and my Northern Lightz kennel was my 'blah' kennel as you described lol.

I swapped breeds 3 times in the last 12 months in that kennel ... and just couldnt get hooked on a breed.

In the end - I decided to open a 2nd kennel with one of the breeds I already had. (Obviously I run it as an independant kennel). It took a while to get it up and running and I'm still catching up to the current top SOPs etc - but its worth it because I have always loved working in this particular breed.

Because I wasn't sessioning/showing dogs in the Northern Lightz kennel the money got better and better each day and it is now my most financially stable kennel!

I am mainly working on 2 trait projects in that kennel as well as breeding high SOPs and just recently I have been finishing a large number of CHs in that kennel - so its definately become one of my favourite kennels to look for updates and to look at pups when they're born etc happy :)

It does take time - and you have to be prepared to try a few breeds and you might not like them for whatever reason but eventually you will find a breed that just goes - BAM! :P

Or you can do what I did and open a 2nd kennel of a current breed - just remember to run them as an individual kennel. Also a good idea to let Jeff know if you're going to do that option too happy :)

Hope you find the breed that works for you in that kennel happy :) You may want to sell all your current dogs and let the kennel sit for a bit so you can get your money up happy :)

Trust me - it won't take long to get you out of the red especially with selling the dogs, selling 12 sessions and signing in every day to get the Lon In Bonus happy :)
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2015 7:20:47 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

Figure out what it is that does interest you...and find a breed that will offer that!
 Almost Heaven
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 12:34:18 AM reply with quote send message to Almost Heaven Object to Post

So I decided to put them all up for sale, took everyone out of shows and went to no sessions for 1 week. In a week I am going to decide what to do. Hopefully by then the account will be out of the red and most of my dogs will have new homes. If not at that point I will have to see how strong my desire to leave the breeds when I have to FH current GCH and Top 10 dogs happy :)
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 3:41:42 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Yes - I have a similar blah kennel. Although my $ are ok in that kennel. And I don't have that - 'oh look, x won' problem.

Am currently sessioning and showing 1 breed in it as a finishing kennel, have 2 dogs of another breed which haven't grabbed me, and have tried 3 other breeds which haven't grabbed me.

Maybe I need to try colour breeding in one of my existing breeds.
 CS Animalia
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 5:01:52 AM reply with quote send message to CS Animalia Object to Post

I have a couple of blah breeds (for me) for various reasons. I was top SOP and breeder in one kennel, tried to leave the breed, didn't sell enough dogs (and Fhing would have left that breed in a bad place.) One thing that helped was getting a single male of a breed that needed help-he shows really well and has been quite popular with folks who are working from source breeding to bring back more lines. I ended up waiting until there were available females and that breed is gradually easing out the first breed. I still show enough to help with majors for other folks, and breed enough to maintain top dogs, but sell off the pups for the most part and have gradually FHd the older dogs once they have enough representation.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.