Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 18

Author Topic : Question re booties to protect paws from heat.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/14/2015 1:22:33 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post   

as some know Sophie is my service dog. I had progressively been getting where I could not will myself to leave home some days, ran out of Costco in a panic more then once!
But with Sophie's help at my side I am usually ok dealing with people.

My question is she goes with me everywhere, I am concerned if I should protect her feet somehow. If she would let me. She's been with me 4 years this coming January. 20 lb and I love her dearly. Usually just do one errand shopping trip per day, and avoid total sidewalk most of the time, but the stinker likes walking balance beam on curbs. I know it has to be hot on her paws!

Just wonder if many use socks or boots and what type if so. Should have done a poll.

Please give input!
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 6:49:25 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I wouldnt use boots for that as dogs sweat threw there paws so having boots on during a hot day cuts off one of its ways to cool itself.
I've not see boots designed to cool the pads so I'd just advoid going places in the heat and Waite untill it's cooler to go shopping.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 1:30:47 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Maybe try Musher's Secret? It's a paw protectent that's not just for winter conditions, per their website and I've known several people that liked it.

www.musherssecret.net/about.html
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/14/2015 3:07:29 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Those are good ideas, will look for Mushers secret, might help my paws too, think it has lanolin? The sweating through pads was part of my concern too.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 3:12:46 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

Ingredients for Mushers Secret

Ingredients:

Lanolin, beeswax, vitamin E, arnica, comfrey extract
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/14/2015 3:21:29 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Just thought question, does it protect from heat or just heals paws?
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 3:30:18 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

It forms a breathable bond on the paws and helps protect them from heat and cold apparently. We use it all year for the dogs feet.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 3:32:35 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

www.musherssecret.net/ their website.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 3:36:43 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

Just ordered on Amazon. But no avocado oil??
 GraveDigger Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 7:30:32 PM reply with quote send message to GraveDigger Kennel Object to Post

I saw some sandals on petsmart.com last night. happy :)
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2015 12:02:41 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

And heard back from company, avocado is not one of the oils, yeahh
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/15/2015 8:19:44 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I was gonna suggest mushers secret too. Let us know how you think it works!

Kelli
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2015 12:13:21 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Thks everyone! I will Kiroas.. Just posted sop surprise litter in alpha sigh.
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 3:38:39 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

I have used Ruff Wear shoes on working beagles with good results, as long as they were fit properly to the dog. They are heavier duty but relatively easy to put on. These dogs worked outdoors in summer, we always monitored their temp and physical condition and never had a problem with overheating. If you are just walking your dog back and forth over pavement and the dog remains with you, the dog is already conditioned to the temperature where you live, and the dog is not currently showing signs of overheating when outdoors with your normal routine, you can give it a shot.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 6:02:27 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

Mushers secret came today, lightly applied on paws, she wanted to lick my fingers while I was doing it but, hasn't licked her paws after at all, will update.
Not hot hot today as sun in and out of clouds but still humid from hurricane south..
Tested ground with my foot. As supposed to last several days...
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2015 11:44:23 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

Kiroja Sophie seems to do well with mushers secret, this week has been hot but haven't caught her lifting her feet like she was before.
She likes standing and observing cars, people walking on our side of the street and across the street, she can walk on the grass but does just to jump across and walk along the curb. Maybe grass to dry with our drought?
Today caught her standing up observing someone touching up makeup while parked on our side! She wouldn't budge till they drove off!
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/29/2015 1:47:41 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Good to hear! Yes if the grass is really dry it might feel like straw poking at her feet. happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2015 2:20:30 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I'm so happy she likes the Musher's Secret! I need to get some for my boys!
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2015 12:45:14 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

posted by FallenStarz
It forms a breathable bond on the paws and helps protect them from heat and cold apparently. We use it all year for the dogs feet.
Fallen start how often do you apply in summer? More heat wave here this week again so going to apply.
She goes on strike walking back to car when we leave one restaurant I think because further distance from car in parking lot, stops going and when I try to scold and coax her she stands up to be carried, it is over asphalt so i I oblige, glad she's not big as if I needed mobility service!

Replies in this thread : 18

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.