Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Name ideas.
 White Birch Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
7/14/2015 12:14:33 PM reply with quote send message to White Birch Kennel Object to Post   

I need a few naming subjects as I'm out of ideas. I've done, books, songs, paintings, racehorses, butterflies, gems and sayings. A nice big list of subjects would be just perfect and keep me going through all my kennels!
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 1:03:58 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Colors
Emotions
Song Names
Landmarks
Stationary? (Blue Marker or Sharp Paper? o.o)
Cards (King of Clubs, Two of Diamonds, ect)
Place Names (Pick a country important to you?)
Dog breeds! (The Manchester Terrier named 'Pumi' razz :p)
Food! xD (A burrito dog needs to exist)

Half of them are silly, I'll try to think of some actual stuff when I'm not on a sugar-high.
 GraveDigger Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2015 7:35:28 PM reply with quote send message to GraveDigger Kennel Object to Post

Not sure what breed you have, but for my hounds kennel I am doing a guns/ammo/other gun related names. For my Klee Kais I am doing a Dr. Seuss theme.

What are your breeds?

Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2015 4:13:38 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

One of my newest ways of finding names is book titles. I go to The Book Depository site, choose a word e.g. Moon, type that word in the search box for books.Then I click through the pages looking at the book titles. Not a bad source for names.

Song titles and lyrics are also a good source.

I also use names from history, as early as I can find online, and gods and goddess from various cultures myths and legends ...... and I could keep going on and on (I find names fascinating happy :) ).

some useful sites:

www.lowchensaustralia.com/names.htm

www.20000-names.com/index.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gods_by_culture

www.horses-and-horse-information.com/horsenames/d.shtml

www.funhorsenames.com/gender.html

And I have barely scratched the surface of the sites I have bookmarked........

Hope that helps -- have fun happy :)
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/15/2015 4:15:09 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

That's me above -- if you want more ideas let me know happy :)
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2015 9:46:58 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Let's see...in my kennels I've done:

Flowers/Trees
Alcoholic beverages
Beatles songs
Mythology
Insects
Alliteration (Dapper Dan, Darling Dyna, Delightful Diva, Dainty Dianna. You could choose any letter)
Book titles
Cliches
Patriotic
Snack foods
Colors
Weather
"North" (North Face, Up North, North Star, etc)
Smurfs (Brainy, Hefty, Sassy, Smurfette - the whole litter was blue)
Medieval/Robin Hood
Sci-fi
Sports terminology
Music
Mountains
Nautical

Shall I continue? laugh :D

White Birch Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2015 10:58:23 AM reply with quote send message to White Birch Kennel Object to Post

Thanks for all of these. They'll keep me going, I was feeling very uninspired!
 Street Wise Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2015 7:38:26 PM reply with quote send message to Street Wise Kennels Object to Post

I know I'm kinda late to this, but just my two cents...

When I'm out of ideas I'll take a look at what the names of the parents are, and sometimes I'll get inspiration from that.

For example, on Showhorse one of the horses had "gold" in her name, so I looked up the terminology used in gold mining, or gold jewelry, etc. I've come up with some very distinct and interesting ones that way.

But then, I'm retired and have time for all that "googling". happy :)

Good luck and happy showing!
 Backwoods Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 6:33:34 AM reply with quote send message to Backwoods Kennel Object to Post

posted by Street Wise Kennels
...When I'm out of ideas I'll take a look at what the names of the parents are, and sometimes I'll get inspiration from that. ...
I have used the great grandparents since I subscribed my first kennel. Only now am I choosing to do themes, as the names are starting to get similar. laugh :D

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.