Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Rare breeds, plea your case!
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/21/2015 8:23:04 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post   

I am strongly considering (read: already decided to, just waiting for payday) adding a second family account exclusively for rare breeds.

So, who needs a new breeder? Tell me why your breed is bestest. Bonus points for creativity. I'm partial to the toys and terriers, but will consider all. Please tell me about the community feel of your breed, current projects, showable SOP range, etc
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 8:43:30 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Why join German Spitz? Because they spit fire!

Erm. I lost my creativity mark, didn't I? xD

But yes, German Spitzes. happy :) They were a dead breed (now I think there are four breeders including myself) and while there are a few current SOP dogs floating around (and a good abandoned stud list to work with), most lines are source breeding. It's fast progress since we've been getting good results breeding to current SOP studs with source bitches and there are multiple current SOP broods around.

We're showing both current SOP dogs and source dogs, it's a confusing mess but we'll get it sorted. razz :p We've been getting majors every night and I think we got a group placement at some point somewhere. o.o

Spitz have the potential for a GIANT color breeding project, but right now we're focused on getting some lines established before any of that happens lol.

The abandoned studs can be pricey, but studs we've been putting up are cheap and rarely go above $25. Breeders are very friendly, we'll be willing to help you get started in anyway you need, but there isn't all that much to catch up on at the moment haha, source dogs are still well into the pedigrees.

Why join Belgian Laekenois? Because they make the noise! (Get it? Laekenois sounds like make the noise? Sort of? Slightly? Okay, not at all but still. I tried. >.>wink ;)

Lost another creativity mark there. .-.

I'm just getting into Belgian Laekenois myself but I've got a ton of broods that I'd be willing to throw at you. happy :) Competition is light but should be picking up soon once I get a few more dogs into the ring. Studs are currently sort of expensive but I've got a list of very good abandoned studs not far from current SOP that are all really cheap, and all of my boys once they're old enough will be going up for $25.

SOPs are tight; showable dogs are in the high 91s / low-mid 92s, high SOP that I know of is 92.40%. The Masked gene is a little rarer and a bit behind on SOP but they're closing in.

There are three of us breeding; one who sort of quit but came back and still had all their stock (except for the bunch I bought from them lol), one who is slightly more reserved but very active in the breed (stud and show-wise) and I. We could really use a few more breeders to pick up activity in the breed. happy :)

That's all the information that came from the top of my brain, but if you'd like to know anything else I'd be more than happy to keep rambling on about either breed. laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Myths on 7/21/2015 8:45:22 PM
 Legend Has It
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 9:14:32 PM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post

I second German Spitzes. I think one of the best parts about this breed, is the community is very involved, on the forums, in the ring, showing whatever dogs they have.

Also, Portuguese Water Dogs, they are about to reenter the breed ring. The highest SOP being 93.00, with the majority being around 92.70. There are currently two breeders, and I think, I'm fairly nice happy :). My current project is to get the PWDs back into the ring and to attract more people to the breed.

Another rare breed I work with is Maltese. I haven't actually talked with many of the community members, but I think there are 4-5, Mignon kennel has a couple dogs with about 85 SOP, but, I'm mostly working on source breeding. Unfortunately, these dogs are't being shown yet in the ring.
 Sombra Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 9:24:17 PM reply with quote send message to Sombra Kennels Object to Post

I've currently got two rare breeds- Briards in this account and Black and Tan Coonhounds in another.
Briards have good colors goins, I currently am working on keeping them all but some are a little lower SOP. Right now I'm at high 93's for SOP.
I'm the only one showing but ther are two other breeders.
Black and Tans have no colors, so one less thing to worry about. SOP is low- my high is 91, but the average is mid 90. I'm the only one showing but there is one to two other breeders.
 Revival
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 9:31:22 PM reply with quote send message to Revival Object to Post

I third German Spitz. Myths and Legend Has It have it covered. I love sharing my girls so let me know if you're interested and I'll send some your way
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2015 5:39:03 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Myths: I'll give you a half point for effort. But yeah, that was bad :P

So far I'm considering German Spitz, Maltese, Portuguese Podengos -the colors!, Beagles, Toy Poodles, Shih Tzu, PWD, Lowchen, and Irish Red and Whites

Anyone else wanna sway me one way or another?
 AngelAviary
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/22/2015 7:25:48 PM reply with quote send message to AngelAviary Object to Post

How about some of the small guys! I just got involved with Toy and Mini Poodles. Both are very low in the breeds list with the toys I think with only 3 kennels with them. Both have nice colors and SOP is not to bad. But we need more players working with them. I have a pup up for sale now and looking to have a few more litters soon. All the other kennels working with both breeds are very friendly and helpful providing good breeding stock to get you going.
 Legend Has It
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2015 10:31:31 PM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post

I could give you a couple PWD, Maltese or German Spitz puppies.
 Legend Has It
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2015 10:31:33 PM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post

I could give you a couple PWD, Maltese or German Spitz puppies.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2015 4:43:09 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Bergamasco's ? Just because we need more breeders, high SOP's too.

SWD's? (I notice Myths didn't suggest these lol!) They are working hard just 3 kennels, one kennel (not in the three) totally unhelpful with studs and stock but if you like a challenge this breed has to be it, active breed forum.

American Foxhounds?, active rarebreed, source dogs showing and getting titles even though there are one or two high SOP dogs around

Kommondors? High SOP, major every day, need more kennels
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2015 9:45:39 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Yay! xD A half point. .-.

But yes, I didn't mention SWDs because of the fireworks that went on recently. razz :p I figured I'd try to let some of the dust settle before launching my sales pitch on that breed to people. But you could join us! wink ;) There are two of us source breeders (and potentially one more, though I'm not sure what they're up to lol), and we'd love your help! laugh :D

We're planning to show low SOP dogs and have started sessioning some pups though we're not sure if the current SOP kennel will be showing as well which might make the situation a bit harder. We're just getting into the second generation of source breeding (though it isn't pure source, we've been using abandoned current SOP studs) and I have an army of breeding stock I could throw at you. razz :p

---

Back to Spitzes since you're considering them already. razz :p I could back Legend up in giving you some pups, both current and low SOP. I've actually got a current SOP litter due tomorrow and would be more than happy to give you the pick. wink ;) Aside from that I could throw a ton of decent bitch pups (ranging from 3 to 26 days in age) and a few source broods if you need them as well. laugh :D
 Crystal Cove Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2015 11:32:10 AM reply with quote send message to Crystal Cove Kennels Object to Post

mini poodles would be awesome, if you chose that happy :)
 Jumping Jacks of Glory
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2015 7:59:41 PM reply with quote send message to Jumping Jacks of Glory Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Please join Neapolitan Mastiffs! I myself am just starting out in them and have begun breeding for colour. There are currently two other breeders and almost all of their dogs are the same colour. You obviously don't have to do colour breeding but it would be great to get some more competition in the ring. Showable SOP range is in the low 90s. I don't have time to type a lot out right now but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to email myself or either of them. We are all super friendly and always willing to help out fellow breeders.

Jamie

-----
Last edited by Jumping Jacks of Glory on 7/24/2015 8:01:01 PM
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2015 9:03:55 AM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

And the winners are!!

WhiteStar Kennel: Westies and Maltese

Traditions: Mini and Toy Poodle

Green Leaf Hollow: Beagles

Ebb & Flow Kennels: Portuguese Water Dogs, maybe also Irish Red and Whites

Fire-Breather Kennels: German Spitz

(I may need to give Myths more creativity points)
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2015 9:13:44 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

YES! I WIN (I guess?). But yeah, hand over those creativity points. razz :p

Is the family sub already up? Because I can start looking through my lot to see what I have at my disposal at the moment. laugh :D
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2015 10:17:13 AM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Yes it is. Working on getting all my settings straight as we speak. Would love to see what you have to share.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.