Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Impossible to gain majors
 Stiggo with Pelagia
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/31/2015 6:40:56 PM reply with quote send message to Stiggo with Pelagia Object to Post   

www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Kerry_Blue_Terrier.aspx

This is becoming ridiculous. Please look at the points numbers for this breed.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
7/31/2015 7:12:06 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

It's not a bug, the points are calculated the same way for every breed.

The following shows would have been majors for KBT bitches the past month...

Project Wes 21
Glittering 2
Wicken 204
Highland Games 4
I love you Sleepy
Glittering 3
Kilhey 27
Revival All Breed 3
Jidokey All Breed Show 10
Because I Love You Sleepy
GaylanStudio All Breed 07-19
Glamour Paws 24
Jester Dogs 33rd All Breed Show
Jester Dogs 34th All Breed Show
Opportune Moment
Summertime II
Underground X In July
Project Wes 24
Icekist July 7th All Breed Show
Glamour Paws 22 Stars and Stripes Forever
Granite Creek July 9th Show
Fallenz All Breed 4
Camp Weewok EXPO
Barnsforde Bash 172
Project Wes 25
Traiag All Breed 3
Revival All Breed 4
Summertime
Tullamore Summer Days

And for dogs...

July 2015 Kerry Blue Terrier Nationals
Barnsforde Bash 172
Camp Weewok EXPO
Revival All Breed 3
Fallenz All Breed 4
Opportune Moment
Glittering 3
I love you Sleepy
Jester Dogs 33rd All Breed Show
Glamour Paws 22 Stars and Stripes Forever
Glamour Paws 24
GaylanStudio All Breed 07-19
TNT 30th All Breed Show
Summertime II
Wicken 204
Because I Love You Sleepy
Highland Games 4
Project Wes 21
Icekist July 7th All Breed Show
Glittering 2
Granite Creek July 9th Show
Kilhey 27
Extra August Kerry Blue Show 1
Summertime
Underground X In July
Traiag All Breed 3
Revival All Breed 4
Glamour Paws 21
Jidokey All Breed Show 10
Jidokey All Breed Show 9
Jester Dogs 34th All Breed Show
Party Under The Golden Bridge 7
All The Chocolate 3
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2015 7:57:21 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Admin is correct with the Point Scale for Majors.

If you look at the number of dogs entered in each show in the past month you can see that there are TONNES of dogs in your breed being entered.

I'm in 3 main breeds at the moment and we generally only have a max of 10-15 dogs entered per show per day (we often have 4 shows a day filled with dogs but we never put too many dogs in the shows).

I had a look at the show results for the top winning Kerry for July - and noticed that for some reason a lot of Kerry breeders are entering crap loads of dogs in handler shows.

I don't really see the point of this - as for instance if you look at Edward Thomas - he only likes 4 top handlers (Veronica, Bob, Kristen and Yvette). Therefore if it were my breed we would only enter 4 dogs and 4 bitches in that show - as realistically Edward Thomas is very unlikely to look at a dog who has a handler that isn't ranked in the Top 20-25 Handlers. So you'd only be wasting your entry fee money if you entered heaps of dogs like this show has here:

www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Traiag%20All%20Breed%203&breed=Kerry%20Blue%20Terrier

If you look at the dogs who won points and placements at that show - they have Edwards favourite Top 4 handlers!

Winners bitch - Kristen Gowin
Reserve Bitch - Veronica Sheidt

Winners Dog - Kristen Gowin
Reserve Dog - Veronica Sheidt

Best in Breed - Bob Golub
Best Opposite Sex - Bob Golub

Edited to add - in my breeds the only time we enter 'a lot' of dogs is in no-handler shows.

Also:

When I'm entering shows I have a list of Judges and who their favourite handlers are - as well as a number that appears next to their name on my list that denotes how many Top handlers that judge likes - for instance:

Patrick Tatum = 6 (Roxanne, Reberol, Joe, Yvette, Sam, Billip)
Sarah Brush = 3 (Veronica, Bob, Kristen)
Wilfredo Feaster = 4 (Maret, Jos, Tod, Hunterte)

Therefore if I was entering lots of dogs I would look at the shows current entries for Patrick Tatum and I would automatically know that he will only look at 6 bitches and 6 dogs who have his top handlers on them. So if other people have already chosen all of the top handlers for both bitches/dogs then I won't bother entering. Same goes with every judge - you need to know how many handlers they will look at - as you are honestly wasting money on entry fees if you are putting more dogs/bitches than the judge will actually look at. (Unless you're trying to stack for points in rare breeds etc).

This is why I enter in advance with judges who like my breeds.

-----
Last edited by Chaos and Havoc on 7/31/2015 8:05:01 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/1/2015 3:28:04 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

One way you can influence your point schedule is to spread out the entries for the breed among all the available shows. If I understand the process right, piling large numbers of dogs into a single show will drive up the point schedule.

Once you have enough entries for a major,and a couple of specials for each sex for the GC points, look for a different show.

Chaos and Havoc's post above this one is sort of going along the same track, from a different angle.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 8/1/2015 3:30:42 PM
 Stiggo with Pelagia
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2015 6:05:44 PM reply with quote send message to Stiggo with Pelagia Object to Post

Many thanks for the knowledgeable and accurate replies, but my vagueness in the original message didn't reflect why I posted.
The Kerry blue breed contains many kennels but not many individuals. I think I can name 4 kennels who are individual. The others are multiple kennels of one person who enters en masse with multiple attached handlers to make the breed inaccessible to others. They aren't succeeding but every month the numbers get higher and the chance of majors lessen.
I've been observing this for years now. If you'd like more observations please message me, as there are many giveaways.
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2015 6:50:00 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Stiggo - Now that more information has been provided I now understand what your original post meant, lol!

I feel sorry for you that this is happening in your breed. :/

Have you tried talking to the other players and asking if they could stop doing what they are currently doing to make it more 'fair' for other players?

The difficult thing with this situation is that if they don't decide to play more 'fair' then unfortunately it would seem to be a doomed situation and you may not be able to get a resolution.

Although the majority of players in a variety of breeds play 'fair' it does seem that you come across the occasional breed that has become 'tainted' due certain players and the way they choose to play the game.

However perhaps these players do not understand why its bad to enter such a large number of dogs? I have met some players who have been a part of this game for years and yet don't understand some of the basic concepts of the game.

I would try to talk to each of the players (whether they are indeed one person with multiple kennels or separate people) and see if you can get a resolution to the problem.

If not - perhaps it's time to move on and find a more fun breed to be a part of happy :)

I know that any of my three breeds would welcome you on board - feel free to PM me happy :)
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
8/2/2015 4:27:20 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

I have been in KBTs since the beginning of SD. It used to be a fun breed. Now, successful showing is almost impossible. I never left the breed, and won't because it is my RL breed. I was just breeding and not showing for several years. Recently, I have started trying to show again. I did manage to finish two dogs, but it was slow and not much fun.
Blunotes
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2015 6:45:45 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

posted by Stiggo with Pelagia
Many thanks for the knowledgeable and accurate replies, but my vagueness in the original message didn't reflect why I posted.
The Kerry blue breed contains many kennels but not many individuals. I think I can name 4 kennels who are individual. The others are multiple kennels of one person who enters en masse with multiple attached handlers to make the breed inaccessible to others. They aren't succeeding but every month the numbers get higher and the chance of majors lessen.
I've been observing this for years now. If you'd like more observations please message me, as there are many giveaways.

as long as they run mutable kennels separately you can have more than one kennel in the same breed.

Sound like they may be entering lots of dogs to prevent other getting any good handlers.
Handler hogging in some breeds has allways been a problem which is why an excessive handler usage fee was brought in to help diswade people from doing it (as tecknely it's not against the rules to enter lost of dogs to take up handlers just poor sport) however now money is so easy to get now things like this fee are no longer a problem for people who wish to take up lots of handlers for this reason.

Maby Jeff should look into increasing the fee to combat this?
 Stiggo with Pelagia
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2015 10:13:58 AM reply with quote send message to Stiggo with Pelagia Object to Post

Thanks again for comments. As you can see the high entries are very calculated but that's the game I suppose. I did try a while back but was told that I shouldn't be telling them what to do. I intend to try again. As I am in a lot of other breeds which are quite low in interest, the Kerry challenge is at times exciting and other times frustrating so I intend to stick with it for now.
Blunotes, I know you aren't part of the other camp and glad you've stuck around.
I had also forgotten that separate kennels are allowed to be owned by the same user.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2015 8:28:59 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

might be a case of entering well in advanced

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.