Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Please help!
 Sakura Ridge Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/9/2015 12:24:42 AM reply with quote send message to Sakura Ridge Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Help Niko the Siberian husky get cataract surgery. Just $1 dollar will help make a difference. Poor guy just turned a year old in June and is already blind in one eye and another cataract is forming in his other.

www.gofundme.com/bcgcnu2n

-----
Last edited by Sakura Ridge Kennels on 8/9/2015 12:30:49 AM

-----
Last edited by Sakura Ridge Kennels on 8/9/2015 12:33:37 AM
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2015 4:33:16 PM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

This is another example of a genetic problem - what quality of life has the breeder given this dog, let alone what expense and heartache have they imposed on the owners.
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2015 10:13:53 PM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

A responsible breeder would have tested for this before breeding and producing this pup ... did you not have a "health guarantee" when you bought the dog? Were you not offered the health testing of the parents to see before buying this pup? Did you research the health tests necessary for this breed before shopping responsible breeders to know that they have done all the necessary tests on both parents? This is just a very sad example of why people should do their homework and shop around before committing to a puppy of any breed.
 Grand Strand Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2015 11:33:43 PM reply with quote send message to Grand Strand Kennels Object to Post

To the person above me. Did you not read the page? They didn't buy this puppy. The owner of the dog posts on the funding page:

"My mother rescued him from a back yard breeder"

No need to bash on someone for "not being informed" when that obviously isn't the case

-Hayley
 Sakura Ridge Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/10/2015 5:49:39 PM reply with quote send message to Sakura Ridge Kennels Object to Post

I agree that it is important to get dogs from reputable breeders, who test for these things. But sadly, alot of people do not. This pup isnt mine. It's my mothers. Despite being a back yard bred pup, he is very well loved and they are very saddened that he is going blind so young. He's very special to my 15 year old sister who has been going through depression and cutting among other things. She loves those huskies with all of her heart and soul. This is why I am posting here to find anyone to help with any donations for them. They, at the very least, hope to have enough to save one eye so he wont have to go through his whole life being blind.
 Sakura Ridge Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2015 12:01:51 AM reply with quote send message to Sakura Ridge Kennels Object to Post

My mom has decided that once he goes completely blind and havent got enough to pay for the surgery, she is just going to get him put down. I'm actually quite mad about this decision. Its unfair. I dont see how him being blind causes any suffering besides the obvious. If I didnt live in a tiny apartment, I'd take him in myself.
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2015 5:41:32 PM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

The dog has no quality of life without sight. It may seem the right thing to do to try and raise funds for a pup but what happens 2.5.10 years down the line? Your mum wont have the time to devote to a blind dog, your sister will be in college or married with a family, the restrictions are great, no one who takes him can move home without retraining him to find his way around. In all it's far kinder to give him sleep now.
 CelebrationHounds
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2015 5:48:12 PM reply with quote send message to CelebrationHounds Object to Post

In 'rescuing him from a backyard breeder' your mum did him or herself no favours. She simply took the responsibility from the breeder when it should have been left with them to decide whether to give him sleep or spend the money on him. I hope he's nuetered at the same time as his eye op if it goes ahead. There are many eye problems in huskies and selective breeding from tested parents is the only way forward.

There is an appeal in a local paper/online here to raise $15,000 to give two prosthetic back feet to a pup born without them. Any responsible breeder should have given this pup sleep at birth, not reared it and given it up to rescue to 'put right'.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.