.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 1

Author Topic : Wire Fox Terrier Health?
 Perdix
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/10/2015 9:04:48 PM reply with quote send message to Perdix Object to Post   

Quick question for you guys-

I have a friend looking for a WFT, and I said I'd look into what health tests they need. But I'm having some trouble seeing what is needed in this breed etc. The UK Club seems to imply no testing is needed. The US club is a bit vague, merely referring to CHIC, which seems to say Patellas and hearts, but not what for on the hearts. Anyone know what we should be looking for here?
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 10:32:26 AM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

Unfortunately this is one of the terrier breeds where people are not particularly open and honest about health. Patellas are important to test if you can find a breeder that does it, but depending on which country your friend is in you might be hard-pressed to find someone who does. Personally, I like to test my Scotties' eyes and hearts as well just to be safe, but the eyes are not based on known health problems so much as paranoia on my part and the hearts are because I have been in the breed long enough to know that heart defects crop up every now and then.

Your best bet would be to speak to individual breeders that have dogs you like about what health problems they feel are an issue in the breed and what they have observed in their lines. You might very well be met with the classic response of "this breed doesn't really have any health problems" though.

Replies in this thread : 1

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.