Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Project Suggestions
 NissaV
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/14/2015 6:40:31 PM reply with quote send message to NissaV Object to Post   

I've had just one account for quite a while, but I'm getting nostalgic for having multiples. I'm thinking of subscribing another, largely so I can work on some weird projects. I'd like to have one goal-oriented project (color or trait breeding), and one where I just chill out and source breed.

Here are some things that would get me interested in a breed:
-Missing/bred-out colors
-Locked traits
-Relatively low SOP
-Sighthounds

Dealbreakers:
-Breeds I'm already in (Afghans, Mudik, SWDs)
-Top 10 breeds
-Toy breeds
-Squishy-faced breeds that are not Boston Terriers

Looking forward to any information/Suggestions. happy :)

Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/14/2015 9:28:02 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

Would you be interested in helping bring long and smooth coats up to show SOP in dachshunds? They are only about 1 SOP point off now, but I am the only one continuing with this project now and it's been difficult to keep COI down. Depending on how long this takes, you could also always switch to color breeding. We obviously have tons of colors to choose from, some of which are nonexistent!

Em
 CS Riverflow
Basic User

Basic User
8/14/2015 9:39:43 PM reply with quote send message to CS Riverflow Object to Post

Anatolians? I think I'm the only one color breeding at the moment. Most current SOP dogs are brindle or blue fawn and white, highest Sop is mid 93. I started color breeding using studs in abandoned kennels, Sops are 88-91, and I could set you up with a variety to get started-white, red fawn, biscuit, fawn and grey fawn. There are also liver abandoned studs. Friendly breed, studs are mostly $25-50.
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
8/14/2015 10:42:41 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

A vote for Anatolians! ( I don't color breed, just getting back into the game, but definitely a great friendly group and easy to get into!)
 NissaV
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 6:19:54 AM reply with quote send message to NissaV Object to Post

posted by Amoroso
We obviously have tons of colors to choose from, some of which are nonexistent!

Any examples of which are completely missing?

Putting Anatolians on the list for consideration; thanks for being so specific. happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 10:33:34 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Just six hours ago I went through and compiled a list of the colors everyone has for Canaan Dogs. I am just getting into the breed, but the current breeders are FANTASTIC, VERY friendly, and are willing to help out any way they can. There is an active color breeding chat thread, and a general Canaan chat thread.

-Missing/bred-out colors Yes, we have about half of the colors currently.
-Locked traits This I am not sure about. (Just bought dogs a few days ago)
-Relatively low SOP I believe the showing SOP is under 95 (I think I have seen a 94.8??) and obviously the source dogs keep color SOPs low for now.
-Sighthounds We are a herding breed, so not sight hounds.

Best of luck in your search!!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 1:34:55 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

American Foxhounds need people, so do Harriers, sort of halfway meets your sighthound request, at least they are hounds lol
 Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 5:06:10 PM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am in greyhounds in another kennel. The SOP is under 94 currently and anything in the 92-93 range is finishable. We need breeders badly! Some kennels are working on bringing back colors. At the moment, most active kennels are working with starters anyway to bring new blood into the small gene pool.

-----
Last edited by Roaming Tazi Kennels on 8/15/2015 5:06:36 PM
 NissaV
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2015 6:00:37 PM reply with quote send message to NissaV Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Roaming Tazi Kennels
I am in greyhounds in another kennel. The SOP is under 94 currently and anything in the 92-93 range is finishable. We need breeders badly! Some kennels are working on bringing back colors. At the moment, most active kennels are working with starters anyway to bring new blood into the small gene pool.

-----
Last edited by Roaming Tazi Kennels on 8/15/2015 5:06:36 PM

Oooh, which colors? I own an actual real-life Greyhound, so...unfair advantage wink ;)

EDIT: Looks like only whites are showable for the most part. So one breed found. Still open for suggestions on the other.

-----
Last edited by NissaV on 8/16/2015 10:39:31 AM
 SKYY Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 5:31:04 PM reply with quote send message to SKYY Whippets Object to Post

Whippets!

We definitely need more breeders, and we have lots of colors that need work. As a plus, I have lots of dogs from various projects that could give you a boost.

Missing colors and markings...
Cream
White
Brindle in showable dogs
Parti colored markings in show stock
Fawn and red are finally getting up there, but still need work

Lots of traits need work wink ;)
 SKYY Whippets
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 5:32:10 PM reply with quote send message to SKYY Whippets Object to Post

I have greyhounds in one of my closed kennels, I will put them up for sale.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 6:25:55 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

If you're enjoying source breeding in SWDs, perhaps consider Pulik? xD As of yesterday they only had one breeder (a basic with 3 sources who haven't logged in since the day they joined), but now we've got three premi kennels out (cherrywood kennels, Zinga/PixelPups and myself in Suave Kennels). We've got our first source litters due on the 21st.

So, as stated, sources. Three current SOP studs in one kennel but I can't find anymore - so the gene pool is going to be tight and we'll have to stick to primarily source lines. As far as colors go there are three (Black, White, Silver) - white is the main color in the current SOP lines but I suspect that black is going to be the more dominant color.

But, aside from that, maybe consider Belgian Laekenois? happy :)

Highest SOP is 92.75%, but the second highest is only a 92.50% I believe. We only recently broke 92% really. We could use some breeders, there are three of us plus two breeders that are just joining / not really active / taking Laekens as a side breed / I don't know lol.

In Laekens there are long wires / short wires. Long wires are a bit behind on SOP. Then there are masked / unmasked genes, masked dogs are a bit behind on SOP. Then there are three colors - red, mahogany and fawn. Fawns are a bit behind on SOP.

So Fawn Long Wires w/ Masks are the lowest SOPs from all that. xD Mahogany Long Wires w/ Masks are also a bit needy, but reds are pretty well off in general. I have tons of stock that I could give you to start out as well. happy :) (Both high SOPs are mine if my numbers stand.)

My last sales pitch would be for German Spitz. I'm just leaving them (I joined them since they were a rare breed, but they're decently well off now so I'm putting Pulik in their place), so I've got a few decent things that you could take if you want.

They are frankly a bit of a mess lol. There are both current SOP and source dog lines going on, you could go either way or keep both. Both lines are being shown, we've got two shows being stacked a night pretty much - one for each haha.

High SOP for the current SOP stuff is around 85/86, you can show anything above 85 pretty much I think. Sources are varied, one kennel is trying to finish a 0.50% girl lol.

Colors are even messier than the breed haha. There are 35 colors and only around 10 are represented in source lines at all... I started to try to deal with them but quickly gave up. razz :p
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 7:11:34 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

German Spitz? Rumour has it some 720 puppies were forever homed last week, surely they deserve help, if only to see if another litter that large appears again happy :)
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 7:12:05 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Deerhounds?

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class