Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Can anyone explain these results to me please?
 Ostfeld
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/16/2015 1:54:33 PM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post   

Can anyone tell me why my 2 puppies Ostfeld Hearts On Fire and Ostfeld Heart of Gold were beaten by dogs that have lower SOP yet have the same training and condition and was a handler free show? Just out of interest because im getting baffled wink ;)

Show: www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=August+2015+Siberian+Husky+Nationals&breed=Siberian+Husky
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2015 2:40:11 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

She is 6 days older than your girls, I'm thinking she has 6 days of training on your girls.

I have also had lower SOP dogs dominate in the show ring. There are hidden traits that are also taken into account.

Good luck!
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2015 6:07:41 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

First of all, the judge of that show prefers dogs over bitches - so that might be a factor.

Additionally the judge also has a preference for HQs, FQs and the dog's feet - I haven't looked specifically so maybe that's why your dogs are out-ranked? Though if you are beaten frequently in shows it's probably because of the reasons Treestand stated. happy :)
 Ruby Bloom Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 6:16:12 AM reply with quote send message to Ruby Bloom Kennel Object to Post

My understanding is that SOP was added on at players' request and is not taken into account by judges. I've had high SOP dogs that didn't do well, and currently have a lower SOP dog that is beating specials that are .3 SOP points higher. It's all part of the fun - the game would get boring quickly if it was predictable.
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/17/2015 11:57:41 AM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

SOP is just an approximation of overall quality. There are any number of factors that will determine the outcome at shows - SOP is not actually one of them.

In my opinion, this uncertainty is extremely beneficial to the game. If we had a single number that told us before hand that this dog would place over that dog we'd have the same quagmire we have in ShowHorse!

This simulates real life. We do not know for certain the results until the judge hands out the ribbons.

Now, there should not be huge variations. A 93.0 SOP should not normally beat a 94.0 I would think, but maybe if all the traits, handler preferences, judges preferences line up - wouldn't rule it out.

So, just like in a real show, when this happens, you shug your shoulders and walk away. Perhaps you'll avoid showing under that particular judge. This is great!

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio1 on 8/17/2015 11:59:50 AM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 5:37:46 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

The judge is low for everything except hindquater which they love and feet and forquarter which the like.
The winner in the class has a better fq than hearts of fire so that explains why it beat that one. For hearts of gold their traits show as the same in those three however you need to keep in mind the numbers we see for the traits are rounded to one decamal place, so it could be that the winner is rounded down to a 9.5 and yours is rounded up to 9.5
(So they could be 9.52 and yours could be 9.49
 iBark
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2015 6:20:01 PM reply with quote send message to iBark Object to Post

As the owner of the bitch in question, I'm relatively positive that it has to do with your dog's age. If sessioned every day from day zero, a husky is not 20 in show training until day 31, so those few days my bitch is ahead of yours actually means a LOT of training.

See you in the ring and good luck!
 Ostfeld
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2015 9:34:14 AM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post

Thanks for all the responses and ibark it certainly wasn't anything personal wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class