Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Looking for a new breed (or breeds) to get into
 Kept Secret
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/22/2015 12:26:53 PM reply with quote send message to Kept Secret Object to Post   

Hi there!

I was an obsessed member of the SD community right back in 2008/9, had another dabble in 2011 and now want to get back into it again happy :) I'm trying to find a breed to get into though. I was set on getting a rare breed but its hard to find ones that I'm interested in and that have a bit of community with them. I wanted to get into greyhounds but there are no dogs for sale and I messaged the top two breeders and they haven't gotten back to me sad :(
Just looking for something that I can start again in and that has a bit of a community but isn't super competitive. Let me know if you've got any suggestions and you're either willing to sell or you know the breed well enough to give a bit of suggestion towards source breeding happy :)

Thank you for your time!
X
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2015 2:18:52 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Pulis just starting a revival project; Spanish Water Dogs well into a revival project, Champions now getting made up; Bergamascos; Komondors; Otterhounds great community, majors every day; Bloodhounds great community, majors every day, group placements; Mudis; Pumis; American Foxhounds; Harriers; Whippets; Keeshonds great community, nice people lol;
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2015 2:22:22 PM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

Samoyeds! A rare breed, with some nice members.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2015 6:35:42 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I can back up multiple of the breeds Oakwood mentioned. XD

Pulik - We've just stared some source lines and are breeding them against one of the established, current SOP breeder's dogs. There are four of us source breeding and the one current SOP breeder. If be more than happy tobhelpbyoi get started with them. No show competition but a few of us are starting to session dogs. happy :)

Pumis - SOPs are in the high 80s/low 81s, but there is one breeder way ahead who has stock in the 82s. happy :) I'm only really just starting in Pumis as well but I have a few dogs I could help you out with. Moderate/low show competition.

Spanish Water Dogs/SWDs - I'm just leaving them but there is an ongoing source breeding/revival project going on. One current SOP kennel but they're closed.

German Spitz - The weirdest breed I've ever been in. XD A revival project is ongoing, and there are both current and source SOPrd dogs out there. Both lines are being shown, around one source show/one current SOP show a night. Tons of colors that nobody has under control.

Belgian Laekenois - Not exactly rare or in need but we could use a few more breeders. happy :) Two color varieties (masked and unmasked) and a few colors in need. There are three of us breeders in addition to one starting up, one keeping them as a side breed and one potentially returning after hiatus. I've been stacking huge shows recently but not putting many handlers on so moderate competition and easy points haha.

Sorry for such a long post. >.> I have too many breeds that I'm passionate about lol.
 Kept Secret
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2015 4:04:09 PM reply with quote send message to Kept Secret Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Wow so many responses thank you!! I think maybe Pumis could be for me... Could you give me any more details about them and the dogs please? happy :)

-----
Last edited by Kept Secret on 8/23/2015 4:05:22 PM
 Revival
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2015 4:20:46 PM reply with quote send message to Revival Object to Post

posted by Myths

German Spitz - The weirdest breed I've ever been in. XD A revival project is ongoing, and there are both current and source SOPrd dogs out there. Both lines are being shown, around one source show/one current SOP show a night. Tons of colors that nobody has under control.

=o Why are german spitz so weird? huh? huh? Is that why you left us? LOL
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2015 4:36:37 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

posted by Revival
posted by Myths

=o Why are german spitz so weird? huh? huh? Is that why you left us? LOL

-pats Ash on the head- They're weird because you're there. XD
But in all seriousness because there are both current and source lines at large. It's confusing and entertaining but weird lol.

But anyhow, Pumis! laugh :D They're a really nice breed - I was in them before I took a two year-ish hiatus and am only just returning. The breed is a bit small with only a few breeders, but we're all pretty friendly. happy :) Stud fees are extremely cheap.

Color-wise white is the dominant color, the others (gray, black, fawn) are marginally behind on SOP. Most breeders have mostly white with some random splashes of color, but Miracle League is only breeding color. She has another account in Pumis (Electric Shock) where she breeds whites and there she has most of the Pumi high SOPs I think.

At the moment I think I've been the only one entering shows recently and have begun to stack a few entries but not many yet. I've been showing without handlers so it'd be pretty easy to jump in. happy :)

My highest SOP at the moment is a 82.15 bitch, second highest of mine is a 81.90. Highest SOP I know of is 82.30, belonging to Electric Shock, but I haven't been out kennel snooping for awhile (I would go now but in on my phone lol). I personally keep everything over 81, then most in the 80s as well. SOPs are really scattered haha, and SS tends to be a problem even when breeding 20/20 dogs to one another. >.>

That was a lot of writing, but if you want to know anything else I'm over here. laugh :D
 Kept Secret
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2015 5:01:18 PM reply with quote send message to Kept Secret Object to Post

Thank you for all the info laugh :D I've had a snoop around the current top dogs and it seems they're all around 8-8.5 on head and coat which are the most important traits so I'm thinking of breeding sources to current and see if I can have a line of >10 on those that can be bred to the others to improve those traits.... Sound like a plan? I was thinking of doing something similar with greyhounds and actually just went ahead and got a few sources last night but I'm impatient and want to start afresh :P
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2015 6:14:32 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

No problem! I tend to write a lot but hopefully it's all helpful. XD

That sounds good! I don't think anybody has tried source breeding genetics for awhile in Pumis, I'm sure they'd be able to even fit from it. laugh :D I'd join you but unfortunately I've got a full-on source project in another kennel so I'm sourced out lol. I still might end up buying a few sources though. happy :)

Will you be breeding current SOP Pumisbon the side? I can probably help you out with a few broods if that's the case.

Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2015 9:18:10 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Yeah I think I'll have a go with the source breeding happy :) and I'll have a couple of currents going alongside it happy :) let me know if you have anybody you'd be willing to send over
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2015 11:07:16 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I just read this. Im excited to have more people in the Pumis! ( My kennels are Electric Shock and Miracle League ). If you need or want anything I have, don't be afraid to send me a message about what dog you would like and I can work something out laugh :D ( Also I tend to forget ot put studs up so if you see a male that should be up just remind me haha )

- Hayley / Beach Dunes / Electric Shock / Miracle League
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2015 5:23:42 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Everyone wants to be cool like the keeshond kids...
 Kept Secret
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2015 6:06:54 AM reply with quote send message to Kept Secret Object to Post

Oops that post from unnamed 'basic user' was from me! Not sure why it came up like that! and it's nice to meet you Hayley / Beach Dunes / Electric Shock / Miracle League! :P
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/31/2015 8:55:56 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

How about Wire Fox Terriers?

There only seems to be two of us.
We seem to be having our own shows.

Picardy Briar just won Best in Show at the World Cup.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.