Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Yorkie Color Help
 HotSauce
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/1/2015 10:53:07 AM reply with quote send message to HotSauce Object to Post   

So I have been looking at the Yorkie color code trying to figure out how to get Black and Tan to show up, but it appears Blue and Tan and Black and Tan have the same coding? Am I missing something majorly obvious here? laugh :D

www.showdog.com/breeds/genetics.aspx?breed=Yorkshire%20Terrier

I will message Jeff if needed, but I just wanted to get input from you guys first. happy :)
 shadowbrook
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2015 10:56:58 AM reply with quote send message to shadowbrook Object to Post

Blue is a dilute of black that's the difference
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2015 12:53:55 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Thank you!

So if I breed a black and a blue together, wouldn't black show up? Or is it a case of there being too many blues in the pedigree?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2015 4:08:23 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Treestand Kennel
Thank you!

So if I breed a black and a blue together, wouldn't black show up? Or is it a case of there being too many blues in the pedigree?

It's helpful to be able to look at the dogs in question, but the short answer is - It depends.

Blue is dd
Black is DD or Dd.
(If your black dog is out of a blue parent then he/she is definitely Dd. But even if both parents are black, the 'd' can remain hidden through a number of generations.)

The problem color breeding in breeds with small litters is sometimes the genes are there, but the litters are just so small that you might not get the gene to produce in every litter.

If you have a blue (dd) and breed to a black (Dd) and you get 2-3 puppies... it is possible that they could all be blue.

Statistically the puppies will be
50% Dd (Black carrying Blue)
and 50% dd (Blue)
- but when you have litters of 2-4 sometimes the genes just don't show up in every litter.

If you have a blue (dd) and breed to a black (DD) then ALL puppies should be black carrying blue (Dd)

That would indicate that there is indeed a coding issue.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 9/1/2015 4:10:28 PM
 HotSauce
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 9:53:45 AM reply with quote send message to HotSauce Object to Post

Thank you! That makes sense! Here is the girl in question: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14182744

What I am having issues wrapping my head around is:

Black and Gold CchCch
Black and Tan CC
Black and Tan CCch

Blue and Gold CchCch
Blue and Tan CC
Blue and Tan CCch

To me they look the same. I love blue in any breed, but darnit I want another color! lol I was thinking of doing a color project, but until I understand how things work, I am afraid to take on that task.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 1:15:46 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

posted by HotSauce

What I am having issues wrapping my head around is:

Black and Gold CchCch
Black and Tan CC
Black and Tan CCch

Blue and Gold CchCch
Blue and Tan CC
Blue and Tan CCch

What you are seeing there is the same.
The table is not showing the Dilution gene - "D"

Black and Tan would be
DD CC, Dd CC, DD Ccch, Dd Ccch

Blue and Tan would be
dd CC dd Ccch

Black and Gold would be
DD cchcch, Dd cchcch

Blue and Gold would be
dd cchcch

... so you weren't missing anything, information is missing from the table.

Fedora is a Black and Tan out of a blue dam.
So we know she is Dd C?
.... Probably CC as there is no 'and Gold' (cch) anywhere in the last three generations.

So, she is able to produce
black and tan (Dd C*)
AND blue and tan (dd C*) puppies.

Again, with the small litters color breeding can be difficult, because that one "D" that you need to pass down, doesn't always do so.

It's the same concept as sex of puppies - you have a 50/50 shot of boy or girl. But you can have a litter of 6 puppies all boys or a litter of 8 all girls and 1 boy.

I would try her again, she should give you a black puppy at some point - maybe the next litter will be 3 black puppies.

GraveDigger Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 4:47:04 PM reply with quote send message to GraveDigger Kennel Object to Post

Perfect, I will definitely keep breeding her until I get a black. I was thinking of keeping a few puppies and as horrible as the COI would be, breeding two from seperate litters together to see what that does.

Thank you Rhonda! Now I feel comfortable with starting the color project. lol
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 6:10:11 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Just so you understand - a blue to a blue will NEVER give you a black.

Black can 'carry' blue - (Dd)
but blue can only give the dilute gene. (d)

Mom is Dd
Dad is dd

the puppies get one gene from mom. In this case it can be D or d

the puppies get one gene from dad. In this case it will be d or d - (a blue dog, can only give the dilute gene.)

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.