Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Judges list / handlers
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/2/2015 6:14:43 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

Is it worth it to use a handler for a show?

How does the Judges' List affect where my dog places? If I pick a handler who has a high rating with the judge, will I do better? I noticed that one of my dogs got best of breed when owner-handled, and 4th in class when showed by a handler...Best of breed is better, right?? (or am I totally dumb?)

Anyway, advice would be really helpful happy :)
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 6:50:53 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Totally depends.
Each judge has a preference. Click their nam.
They'll say 'prefers to see the owner handling' or 'not very political' or 'has a tendency to use certain handlers'
I always assign a handler unless it says they prefer to see the owner handling.
Not very political means the skill (number next to handlers name, lower is higher skill) isn't very important.
Tendency to use certain handlers mean they prefer handlers at the top of the list, but you want to combine that with a handler with good skill.
There's a lot of good threads on this topic with awesome explanations
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 7:50:26 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Assuming you are talking about Sebastian, there are a few things to point out.

Yes the Best in Breed is a better placement than Fourth in Class, BUT his Best in Breed was only awarded as he was the only NSDTR entered in that show, so he could not be awarded anything less. Both judges prefer a handler on the dog vs the owner handling the dog.

The dogs that were entered in his class, in the show last night are sessioned to all 20s and condition shows as 20 as well. Sebastian shows as 19/20/16/18.

Because his sessioning (Training, Muscle, Coat) are below 20, you cannot get the top handlers even if you were the first to enter your dog. Lower ranked handlers are not as skilled in the ring as the higher ranked handlers, and do not usually yield high show placements.

So, get him up to at least 19/20/20/20 (training/condition/muscle/coat) and that will give you all but the top two or three handlers and then you should start seeing better results. It looks like NSDTRs aren't hurting for show entries to gain points, so I would just pull him from the shows until he is better prepared (sessioning) for the show ring.

Good luck!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2015 9:49:33 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Thanks. I'm working on sessioning him every day in order to reach that level. Hopefully he will be the first dog I ever finished. That is the goal happy :)
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/3/2015 7:33:20 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Ok, another question. So I sessioned Sebastian again and his numbers didn't go up at all. Is that normal?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2015 12:12:43 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yes, very often that is normal.

As you get closer to 20, they go up more slowly. Also when you see a 16 for 3 days running, it may actually have been 15.8, 16.1, 16.3 so it would be going up, just not enough to cgange the fraction.

Also, older dogs that have not been sessioned and/or fed right from early on are even slower.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2015 10:39:02 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Oh okay! That makes sense happy :) Thanks.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2015 11:14:35 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

If you haven't already, custom rations are helpful to make, to speed up the muscle and coat sessioning. happy :) They are more expensive, but they help you session faster, and in my opinion, are worth it since you will use less sessions. wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.