Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : What am I doing wrong?
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/12/2015 9:21:55 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

I've been sessioning him every day and he only gets 2nd in class.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14219871

Is there something else I need to do in addition to make him a top dog?
 Blaidd Drwg Caucasians
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2015 9:42:47 AM reply with quote send message to Blaidd Drwg Caucasians Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

He needs to be fully sessioned before being put in shows.

ETA: Your handler choices are also sub-par. You won't be able to get decent handlers until he's closer to being fully sessioned. Pull him from shows, get his obedience, condition, muscle, and coat to 20/20/20/20 and then re-enter him.

-----
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg Caucasians on 9/12/2015 9:45:20 AM
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2015 12:09:56 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

It seems like it's taking so long! Do you know how long it typically takes to get a dog to all 20s?
 Blaidd Drwg Caucasians
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2015 12:21:26 PM reply with quote send message to Blaidd Drwg Caucasians Object to Post

It depends on the breed and when you started sessioning them.
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2015 12:22:35 PM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

Is he on an adult ration? It is unusual for show obedience to hit 20 before condition does. If so, it usually takes around 20 days of daily sessions to get most breeds up to all 20s. Some breeds will take longer, and the lower the dog's condition when you started sessioning, the longer it will take as well.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2015 12:25:40 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

(Edit: I took too long to post that. XD Everythig here was stated above I think)

Actually, sessioning times are different for each breed. happy :) I'm not sure what it is for Tollers, but for example my Elkhounds take 30+ days to reach 20 in obedience while my Laekens take much less time (probably more around 20 days).

The different traits also increase at different rates: generally coat is the first to reach 20, then exercise and finally obedience. It's a little different for each breed though, and the different timings depend on the breed (for instance if you have an 'intelligent' breed they'll take less time to session in obedience than others).

Also, I think it might take adults longer to session than puppies?... I'm not sure on that one though, don't take my word in it. razz :p

-----
Last edited by Myths on 9/12/2015 12:26:18 PM
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2015 7:58:08 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

posted by Blaidd Drwg Caucasians
It depends on the breed and when you started sessioning them.
I started sessioning him practically from birth.

I have him, I think, on Top Dog Condition Formula.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2015 8:12:18 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

posted by Little River Kennel
I have him, I think, on Top Dog Condition Formula.
Have you had him on that since he was a puppy? Because Top Dog formulas only work on adults, with puppies they cause the stats to decrease I believe.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/13/2015 12:41:48 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Not only that (puppies on TopDog) but Top Dog does absolutely nothing for coat or muscle.

If you are preparing for show you really should be using a 1777 puppy food to start. If you are a Basic then your best alternative is SuperDuper.

If you are only raising a breeding female, you could perhaps consider the TopDog formula, but again, not for puppies!

Once everything else is at 20, if you are still waiting for "Condition", "Coat", or "Muscle" you could try the appropriate TopDog formula.

In my experience, "Condition" comes first, then "Coat", then "Muscle". Using cheaper food is false economy. Sessions are more expensive than the food and you will need more of them if you are not feeding the right stuff at the right time.

My cockers are usually 18/19-20-20-20 by day 14, My setters are much the same except they are a little slower on the training.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/13/2015 12:45:20 AM
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2015 12:59:38 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

And make Sure he's on adult rations, sometimes hard to remember if ration is puppy or adult if age isn't in the rations title. Even the best puppy rations will cause problems for adult dogs!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/13/2015 7:24:00 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Not only that (puppies on TopDog) but Top Dog does absolutely nothing for coat or muscle.

If you are preparing for show you really should be using a 1777 puppy food to start. If you are a Basic then your best alternative is SuperDuper.

If you are only raising a breeding female, you could perhaps consider the TopDog formula, but again, not for puppies!

Once everything else is at 20, if you are still waiting for "Condition", "Coat", or "Muscle" you could try the appropriate TopDog formula.

In my experience, "Condition" comes first, then "Coat", then "Muscle". Using cheaper food is false economy. Sessions are more expensive than the food and you will need more of them if you are not feeding the right stuff at the right time.

My cockers are usually 18/19-20-20-20 by day 14, My setters are much the same except they are a little slower on the training.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/13/2015 12:45:20 AM

I have only had him on Top Dog since he turned 30 days.

What is 1777 formula?
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2015 9:07:02 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Premium members can make custom rations, and 1777 is the most effective combination of ingredients offered when you make a ration.

Under 'account tools' on your 'my account' page you'll find the 'create ration' option. Click on that and you will be taken to the page where you can create a ration. Name the ration (I would personally recommend saying whether it's a adult/puppy ration in the title so you won't start feeding an adult ration to a puppy), choose if you want it to be for an adult or puppy, and the next section will be about ingredients.

Meds and vaccines are proven to do nothing, so put a 1 in that column - the lowest setting. After that put 7s/the highest setting in the other ingredients (protein, fat, vitamin E) because they directly effect your dog's condition, exercise and grooming. There isn't a food to help with training though.

After all that go to the dog you want to assign the ration to and your 1777 ration will come up. Click on that and you should be set - just remember to make the distinction between pup and adult rations.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/13/2015 5:45:31 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

thanks!!

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.