Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : German Shepherd Question
 Regal Storm
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/16/2015 10:19:07 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post   

Alright, so I've been reading until I've seen spots and I am still not sure of the exact answer. If I am wanting to show AKC with my male and he has the tiniest strip of white on his chest will he be disqualified? I know in the standard it says no white dogs but it is not specified whether this means completely or ANY white on the dog. I've also seen dogs with championships that have small white spots, so of course it confuses me more. If someone could please please clarify. He is a beautiful dog and I originally got him to show in AKC. Wanting to show him in October or November if I can.
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/16/2015 10:30:57 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Here are a few pics of him so you can see it.

krisk
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 4:48:02 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

No he will not be disqualified for that. Most of mine have had a small amount of white on their chest or toes. For most of them it tends to blend in over time, but not all dogs. I have seen several solid black GSDs shown in AKC conformation and they have more white on their chests than that. My breeder likes to tell people about one of her bitches that was born with white feet and tan freckles. She showed her and placed with her in a specialty class.

krisk
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 7:54:59 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

So happy to hear that! Will definitely be looking at local shows in October and November then happy :) Thank you so much!
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 8:03:12 PM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

You sure can! The number one dog all breeds is a GSD with a huge white patch, and it certainly isn't holding her back. She's an excellent representative of our breed. Your dog has excellent pigment. You will not believe the lengths that myself and GSD breeders have gone to in order to try to get that rich color. Where will you show him? Hope to see you in the ring eventually!
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 8:04:01 PM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

His white is barely noticeable. If it really bothers you, put some red chalk over it.
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 6:20:45 AM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I live in Florida so I think we are going to start with either the Greater Naples show in Arcadia (10/10 & 10/11, the Hernando County show in Brooksville (11/07/15 & 11/08/2015), or the Greater Ocala Dog show in Ocala (11/14 to 11/15).

I have shown Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in the past but never a shepherd. I got Bane from a breeder in California specifically to show but we put it off for quite awhile because we were having some issues with one of his ears not staying up.

Thank you for the compliment! I love the red on him as well. Can I post some stacked pics later to get a critique maybe And any tips for showing? I have been working on stacking him correctly.

-----
Last edited by Regal Storm on 9/18/2015 6:27:59 AM
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 6:37:48 AM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

May I ask what breeder? That pigment really is to die for LOL! But sure, I'm still a junior, so my critique wouldn't mean as much as an experienced breeder's of course. But I do know the standard, and am in shepherds.
 Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/18/2015 7:52:23 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

Regal I live in Hernando county and attend the Brooksville show. I'd love to meet you and your dog this year!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 10:27:25 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I love him!!

Krisk would be a good person to listen to as I know she's in Shepherds. I believe there are a few other Shepherd folks too. happy :)
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 5:44:14 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

posted by Nouveau
May I ask what breeder? That pigment really is to die for LOL! But sure, I'm still a junior, so my critique wouldn't mean as much as an experienced breeder's of course. But I do know the standard, and am in shepherds.
Rachelle Salerno at Von Salerno kennel. She has quite a few red and black shepherds with this kind of pigment. His father Zamp von der Urbecke has gorgeous pigment. Here is his pedigree if you want to see the other dogs in his background : www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=727973-quiency-blitzhenhaus-von-salerno.

Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 5:51:45 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Here are some stacked photos of him. Sorry for the crappy quality and he was being goofy and not really wanting to stack :/ hoping you guys can still critique him from this maybe?

Tips on how to get him to stack properly are very welcome!! Love him to pieces but he was being an absolute brat.
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 5:54:03 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

posted by Blue Moon Collies
Regal I live in Hernando county and attend the Brooksville show. I'd love to meet you and your dog this year!
That would be awesome! As of right now looks like our first show may be in Arcadia and then we will see from there happy :) Hoping I'll be at the Brooksville Show though!
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 8:27:52 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

I wouldn't bother chalking in his white, it doesn't detract from the dog. He is german lines and has that look to him, so be careful when you stack him that you are not over stretching him. That is what is causing him to bridge and look so uncomfortable. Try keeping his front lets under him (they should be a straight line from his elbows to his pasterns). And for his rear, keep his hock straight up and down (for the outside leg you pull back). And for his inside rear leg, don't bring it any further under than to line up his toes with his knee. For his body structure he would look better with his back legs closer together. Don't try and stack him like American breed dogs, he doesn't have that build. (I hope this makes sense). When you over stretch him, like the first photo, it gives him a broken topline. But if you look at the 2nd picture, his topline looks quite good. I like the overall look of the 2nd photo, but the 3rd photo has a better placement of his hind assembly (just pull the outside leg back towards him more).

I have a male that is like that, because of how he is built (body structure), he looks terrible when over stretched. But some of my other dogs can be stretched a little, it is all up to the structure and comfort of that particular dog.

Try getting him to walk into a stack on his own (and have someone take a picture). This will give you a better feel for where he naturally would like his feet placed.

You might go ahead and try him in UKC too. A movement shot would tell us a bit more, for evaluation.

Good luck and enjoy your boy.
krisk
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/19/2015 6:18:42 AM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Thank you krisk! I really appreciate the evaluation. I will definitely try to get a movement shot this weekend. I understand what you are saying about stacking him. It makes a lot of sense. Especially that he has to be comfortable. I am not overly worried about his white anymore thanks to your comments. It was just a small thing nagging at my brain before. I will look into UKC shows too.
 Spellcraft Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/19/2015 5:43:59 PM reply with quote send message to Spellcraft Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

A German showline would do better in SV type shows like at this one in Florida

www.gcscfortmyers.com/events.html

I just did a conformation show in Kentucky with my working lines for their rating. If you contacted the club, they probably have practise training sessions to show.

-----
Last edited by Spellcraft Kennel on 9/19/2015 5:48:45 PM
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2015 9:55:24 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

I've heard of Sieger shows and thought of trying to attend one but growing up showing in AKC I want to give showing him in AKC a shot. If it doesn't go well for whatever reason I have other options happy :) Oh krisk! I wasn't able to get a movement shot just yet. Will be trying to get one this week. Been super busy this weekend. Had my first 4-H dog obedience class this Saturday as an instructor. Went pretty well. Any other tips for showing Bane are most welcome.
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 8:24:44 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Corrected stacked photo:

How is this?

Here are some motion pics of him (sorry for the blurriness but you get the idea):

Here are some videos of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPun2ztK9Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPcW-Whp6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJu9Y4eDE3I

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.