Search

.com Forum · German Shepherd Dog

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Top SOP in GSDs?
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/20/2015 8:12:52 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

Can anyone supply me with the top GSD SOP right now?

I just had a bitch born at 98.45 and I want to find a stud with a higher SOP than her so I can get a nice litter from her in the future.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2015 8:41:46 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I'm not in GSDs but I have way too much spare time, so I went kennel stalking. XD

The highest I found was 98.60:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14324051

After that I also found three 98.50 boys:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14292985
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14316516
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14299482

There are a ton at 98.45 so I didn't bother to collect links for them haha. Personally I wouldn't base my stud choices completely off of SOP, but maybe a few of the traits on these boys would work well for your girl? happy :)
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/20/2015 9:14:07 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Can I get your advice on that?

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14333663

This is the girl I want to breed. What traits should I look for in addition to SOP? I don't know a ton about trait-breeding, I've only ever bred for SOP (because I'm used to ShowCats, where the most important thing is really just SOP).
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2015 9:29:58 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I mainly breed for SOP as well, but a lot of the time high SOP dogs aren't compatible for each other because of traits. For example I had the highest SOP Laeken for awhile, but he was a TERRIBLE producer because his traits weren't great.

I just try to compare the two dogs and see if the traits are balanced - is there a point in breeding the two dogs? Will they improve each other? For example, if I had one girl with a terrible HQ but a great head I'd try to find a stud with a higher HQ and perhaps not as great of a head. Then the two better traits would (hopefully) increase and you'll get a better pup (likely both SOP-wise as well as trait-wise).

If you're looking for ring-competitive GSDs it looks like it'd be good to specifically keep an eye on HQ, FQ and TNB though. They're the highest rated traits for the breed (aside from head and gait which look like they're already 10.0 with GSDs). happy :)

Hopefully that helps a bit, I don't really have a strict process for these things - I just look at a bunch of studs and count how many traits they'd improve on my bitch, or just do it by eye - but I hope you get the gist haha.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2015 9:54:37 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I've found its better to breed two averages than two extremes.
If the bitchs head is 8.9, you'd be better to breed her to a 9.0 or 9.1 than say a 10.6.
No idea if there's merit to that, but I've noticed you'll get more middle ground traits and better traits overall this way, it may not jump a ton the first generation but it'll raise slowly and be consistent which is key
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/21/2015 8:13:22 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

That is very helpful happy :) I don't entirely understand all of the trait stuff yet and I'm still trying to wire a spot in my brain for SD - because it's really tailored towards SC right now, where you don't necissarily have to worry about traits unless you are trying to improve on that trait within that breed. SC is more about showing to get CHs (it's much much easier to get a CH there).
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 5:16:41 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Honestly, the best way to see how things work is through trial and error. It won't make sense for a while, but one day it will just click. wink ;)

Good luck!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.