Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : German Shepherd Critiques Wanted
 Regal Storm
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/22/2015 6:44:52 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post   

Here is my boy Bane. I will be showing him at the Greater Naples Dog Club show in October and want to know what you guys think of him. Here are some movement shots (they are blurry sorry) as well as a stacked shot:

Also some videos of him moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJu9Y4eDE3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPcW-Whp6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPun2ztK9Ak
 Regenhaus
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 8:54:41 AM reply with quote send message to Regenhaus Object to Post

bump!
 Regenhaus
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 6:10:42 PM reply with quote send message to Regenhaus Object to Post

Any GSD handlers or breeders?
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
9/28/2015 10:11:32 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Beautifully coloured, masculine boy. There are a few things here for your critique. First one is for you, not him. Becareful on how you stack him. He appears to be more german (ish) lines, than american lines, when stacking him, try and keep his hind legs closer together. Line up his inside hind leg (toes right under his knee) and for his back hind leg, try and make sure his hock is straight up and down. This will allow him to stand more naturally.
Using my girl Molly as an example (here is the correct placement...taking into consideration her amount of rear).

And here is a photo I drew in the lines of where her feet should meet and how I have pulled the inside hind (in particular) out of alignment when stacking her.

Secondly for your dog, there are three things I see. One is that he does have a very, very slight roach that is more noticable in movement (and you can help him look better when standing by not stacking so stretched out). Two, he has a steep croup (which is not helping his topline look better, in fact it makes him look more roached that he is). And three (and this is his biggest fault in my eyes), when he moves he is not opening up in the shoulder, he is reaching from his elbow. I don't know if he would move better if someone was doubling him.

He also has a lot of good things, colour, secondary sex characteristics, deep chest with a nice prominate chest bone.

Good luck at your shows. I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. I would also look into UKC shows, if you have any around your area.

krisk
 Regenhaus
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2015 4:50:19 AM reply with quote send message to Regenhaus Object to Post

Thank you krisk! I really appreciate it. The lines in the second stacking picture are a big help. Quick question: what is doubling him? Just curious as I've never heard of the term.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2015 3:11:41 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

To me (as a sporting dog person) he doesn't appear balanced. He could reach better in the front, but he doesn't have great drive either.
The two triangles made from body to two front legs and body to two back legs should be equal in size, balanced, and I don't see that in him.

I notice the roach significantly more when he is moving than stacked - practice in front of a mirror to see where he looks best. I also don't like the way his neck flows into his shoulders - could be excess coat too. I'd keep that tighter there and along the top of his back to help with topline.

I do like his head, pigment, and front. I also like his bend of stifle.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
10/2/2015 6:49:39 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Doubling is something you see a lot of at GSD specialties and such. It give the dog a reason to move out to the maximum of their gait. It involves people encouraging them with several methods. Some people call, some ring bells, some squeek toys... I once watched a fellow run around the outside of the ring, squaking one of those rubber chickens...Sometimes it gets a little crazy. But it is all done to encourage the dogs to move out and open up their stride. Check on you tube for some GSD specialties and you can find some people on there doubling, or look up Sieger shows (as they do it for them as well). Most GSDs need a reason to move out.

As for a dog moving with balance, here is a good illistration of what you are looking for. Some dogs will reach more (with front and rear) and some less (front and rear), neither is nessecerly incorrect. The dog should be able to open it's stride depending on how it is moving and at all speeds it should still maintain the balance of equality of movement. A gsd's gait is faulty when it either out reaches with the front or out drives with the rear, also when it doesn't reach enough or drive enough. This will make it less efficient in movement. "GSDs gait should cover the most amount of ground with the least amount of effort".

and my girl Molly (I use her because she does not have a lot of rear angles) so you can see it in theory. Notice the equal spacing front and back in her movement.

krisk

-----
Last edited by krisk on 10/2/2015 6:50:45 PM
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
10/3/2015 6:39:21 AM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Thank you krisk! You've been very informative happy :) I completely understand what both of you are saying now.

Just got the judging program for the show next Saturday, we show at 9am against 6 other males and a total of 16 GSDs. Nervous now, but it's about having fun. I've been working Bane everyday on stacking and trying to improve his gait.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
10/3/2015 11:23:23 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Excellent. Yes, I hope you have a good time and learn a lot. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

krisk
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2015 6:15:19 AM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Thank you! I'll let you guys know how it goes happy :)
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 12:01:46 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Hey everyone, the show this weekend was both stressful and fun! Bane didn't do too hot but we placed third in Open class which isn't terrible. Bane did not want to stack at all! Though he did move fairly well once I went the right pace. I learned a lot there from a professional handler named Arvind. He told me what I need to work on and I have my work cut out for me. We are probably going to be going to the Seminole Dog Show in Ocala and possibly the Hernando County Show in November. Super excited and feeling more confident after this first experience.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 1:19:17 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

How awesome that someone was willing to work with you!!

Bane, work with mama!! laugh :D

I can't wait to hear how he does!
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 9:18:41 PM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Thank you! We had fun and it was really educational. Arvind was very helpful with tips on showing, breeding shepherds, and even critiqued Bane's daughter. He also was one of the only people to tell me that I was doing a good job considering it was my first show. It's always great to hear that when your stressed out. I am looking forward to the next shows and I may even attend a few conformation classes in Naples for additional help. Anyone have tips on free stacking shepherds?
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 11:09:26 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

I am glad you had a good time and found someone to help you along. That will make is much easier as you go along. It is not surprising that Bane was entirely co-operative. For dogs that have never been to a show, it is a completely different atmosphere (and going to class will help but it is still not the same feeling - for you or the dog - as going to an actual show). He was probably picking up on some of your nerves too. The more you show, the better you both should get.

As for free stacking, practice you hand stacking and staying. Slowly work you dog so that you can stack him and then stand in front of him (slowly getting further and further away until you can stand at the end of the lead). This teaches them to stand and hold the position that you want. Then I use food (or you could use a toy if that is what your dog works for) and the leash/collar to guide my dog where I want them. I use food to bring them walking forward and I use the collar to get them to stop when they even get close to the "stacked" position to begin with. I will also give them a command when I want them to stand in the "stacked" position (usually "stand proper"wink ;). You can also slightly nudge a foot you want to move with your toes.

There are several videos on youtube about free stacking.

krisk
 Regal Storm
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2015 6:12:57 AM reply with quote send message to Regal Storm Object to Post

Thank you krisk! I will definitely work on that and your right, he was probably catching on to my nervousness but hopefully we will do better in the future!

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.