Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Halloween SD Celebration Brainstorm!
 Myths
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/23/2015 9:34:26 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post   

this post has been edited 6 time(s)

The official thread is here: www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=460924

As the lovely people in the 'Forums are very quiet' thread were saying (www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=458364), SD has been a little quiet lately. And as such, we could try to have a celebration-type thing with contests and payouts to get people motivated! laugh :D

I figured that we could create a new thread with all this stuff. I've started brainstorming a few contests already, but please throw in your own ideas. I'm writing this half-hazardously in the morning so most of my stuff probably won't be that great. razz :p Everything is Halloween-themed at the moment but we could easily have another theme. happy :)

Contest List

The Evil Minion Contest
Convert dogs into evil minions to carry out your bidding!
(In other words, how many dogs can you finish within a certain time frame? For rules I'm thinking that people should be confined to one kennel - they can compete from multiple but can't add up their CHs.)

Resident Spawn
Who has the most resident underlings to do their bidding?
(Similar to above, but who can breed the most -homebred- champions in a certain time frame.)

Evil Apprentice Award
Who's evil apprentice has made the most progress lately?
(I'm contemplating on how to do this one. Whose dog has beaten the most breed dogs within a certain time-frame? Whose dog is at the top of the leaderboard? Something about dogs and their winnings.)

Travelling Circus
Who travels around to lands unknown and brings back the most strange creatures?
(Who can finish the most CHs from different breeds.)

Versatile Knights Gathering
Great warriors from all over the world have gathered to demonstrate their many skills.
(Each dog who gains both a CH and CD within the time frame will be rewarded. Extra awards will be given to dogs who achieve both a GCH and CDX within the time frame - however no one-sided combos shall count so you have to get GCH and CDX to get the extra reward. A GCH and CD won't qualify.)

[Unnamed]
(A contest where a dog would be shown in ONLY Owner Handler shows for the month. At the end of the month each participant would update their ‘entry post’ with their dogs Breed and Group Ranking. The top ranking dog would win.)

Witch Convention
Gather all your wizarding friends and strive towards a common goal!
(Who can raise the most awareness for their breed(s), how many new breeders can they attract?)

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...
Who's the most powerful in the land?
(Who has the / gained the highest prestige?)

Warts and Long Noses Beauty Pageant
Who's the most popular witch around?
(Top community ranking.)

National Seer Champtionships
Who rains supreme over the crystal ball?
(Chat trivia! Time to be decided.)

Dog Dress-Up Contest
(Pretty self explanatory. XD Put costumes on your fur babies!)

Jack'o'Lantern Hieroglyphics
(Short story writing contest. Poems will be accepted as well, and must be autumn themed.)

Contest of Illusions
(An art/banner contest. I'll decide on specifics for that later, but it will be themed autumn.)

Possible Donor/Sponsor List
Myths: $3,000 (show payouts/sponsorship, prize money)
Yippee: $500 (one show sponsorship, prize money)
Treestand: [unknown]
Silk N Denim: $10,000 (indirect show payout/sponsorship, prize money)
Oakwood: [unknown] (indirect show payout/sponsorship, prize money)
Dead Until Dark: $1,500 (indirect show payout/sponorship, prize money)
rhondacline: $1,500 (prize money)
mournebrake: $200
OTT mournebrake: $200
Kommander: $1,000

-----
Last edited by Myths on 9/27/2015 12:32:11 PM
 Xi-Chi
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 10:06:09 AM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post

I'd be willing to try anything involving showing dogs to championship titles options. I'm a basic though so I can't breed anything. I'd have to have a breeder willing to throw some dogs at me lol

I could probably come up with a small donation to throw into the pot.
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 10:06:19 AM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I love these ideas. We could start on Oct 1 and run thru Halloween. In the meantime we can find people to sponsor prizes. SD money and commemorative banners are good possibilities. We could also try to coordinate shows and specialties for the month. Give them all similar names so they're easy to spot.
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 10:07:57 AM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I can commit to $500 prize money and one show sponsorship. Possibly more.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 10:33:42 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Fabulous idea Myths!! happy :)

-----
Last edited by Treestand Kennel on 9/23/2015 6:31:17 PM
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 11:49:48 AM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Little River Kennels and I had been chatting about a similar idea-more Autumn ideas than Halloween.
Ill direct them here because I dont want to share thier ideas for them but if theyre okay Ill post all the games we had talked about happy :)
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2015 1:16:09 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I can help with prize money from my basic kennel. I can't sponsor shows or add payouts but I have over $10 thousand I can donate by buying dogs From people who can add payouts etc.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 1:49:54 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I'm in the same boat with my basic - have a ton of money that I can use to help with 'puppy payouts'
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 3:59:38 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Fantastic !! I love the names and ideas. I'm skint in this kennel but a couple of my family kennels can spare some bucks and my basic kennel is well rich so happy to donate some from there!
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 4:02:35 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Oh and if any kennels want dogs to finish I have a few different (some rare) breeds I'm happy to sell/loan/offer as payment pups (or payment finishers as the case may be - happy for the money to go as donations)
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 6:10:31 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Oh wow, it looks like we've got a lot of support already! laugh :D I'll make a small list to compile possible donators, I'll be contacting you guys once we figure out which contests will be happening / how big payouts will be.

I'm about to edit in a Chat Night & Trivia. I personally have tons of fun in chat and I figure if we set a time to have a trivia and some prizes for trivia it'd raise chat awareness a bit. wink ;)

In addition, rhondacline suggested some contests for dual-titles and owner-handler shows so I'll be editing those shortly as well.

Yippee - I like the sound of that time-frame. I'll aim to have all the contests solidified by the 28th then, so people can have a bit of a heads up before they actually start. happy :) I'm also all for sponsoring shows and specialties! That is an excellent idea.

Dead Until Dark - Alright, I look forward to hearing from you and/or Little River then! laugh :D

Silk N Denim - Oh wow, that is a lot of money lol. Again, I'll be in touch! wink ;)

Oakwood - Sounds great! This will also be a great opportunity for basics to solidify some sources for dogs to finish, I know I'm personally always on the look out for dogs to take into my basic. happy :)
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2015 6:12:45 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Wow Myths, great minds think alike happy :) Dead Until Dark and I were planning an Oktoberfest idea. Can I PM you all the ideas we'd come up with and maybe we three can collaborate?
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 9:15:20 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

How about a real life dog costume contest? We could post pictures on one thread and have awards for various categories.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2015 9:18:25 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

posted by Yippee Yahoo Kennels
How about a real life dog costume contest? We could post pictures on one thread and have awards for various categories.

I find it so funny all the ideas that are shared between users - Dead Until Dark brought this one up to me too laugh :D I think we all just know what each other would be interested in :P
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 9:31:43 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I'm in support of the costume contest as well! happy :) I'll edit that in once I get back on my laptop.

But I agree Little River, I guess SDers think alike. XD
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 10:58:55 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

The ideas I sent to LRK

"

Im on mobile right now- so pardon my briefness
A couple "mini" games - low prizes, maybe $50
Caption the photo-set a cutoff and then allow votes. Could run this once a week 

Guess the object- take or find close ups of things like pumpkin stems, turkeys, gords, etc and people have to guess what the picture is of. Could also do dog breeds- take a picture of a nose or paw and make them guess the breed

Best pet costume- doesnt have to be a dog. Needs to prove its thier pet by having a paper with "showdog" written on it if people are worried about people just using internet photos

[Portion omitted...]

If the word association game cant go very far- maybe an A is apple for B is boogey man for C is for candy corn...type of game? 

Ill try to think of some bigger contest ideas. 

Id say lets post to general since off topic doesnt show up in latest topics- at least for the gaining interest and then we can make it clear well post in off topic for all the threads so its not clogged later ?

"

And Im on mobile again so I just copy/pasted. These are more forum focused for community involvement

I am more than happy to host/moderate some of the game and contest threads and can pledge 1500 from my basic if needed (I noticed someone said they can do 10K! Wow!!! Dont know if additional pledges still needed)
Most of these mini games I was thinking run every couple days with the costume contest being a larger prize amount and maybe awarding 1st 2nd and 3rs depending on how many entries
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 11:50:08 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I PMed you. wink ;)

It looks like we'll be having a more generally autumn-themed celebration, though elements of Halloween will most definitely still be coming through. I've started to plan a few more of the events out in detail with Little River and will start to talk with Dead Until Dark, at the moment we're hoping to have official outlines up by the 1st. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Myths on 9/23/2015 11:58:11 PM
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2015 12:34:30 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

what a great idea - and set of ideas!

in other games I play they have festivals around holidays where you can get awesome goodies cheaply.

i wonder can Jeff come to the party?

maybe we could offer our dogs for sale on offer and accept 1/2 price for them for a week - get more people into more breeds
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2015 3:37:27 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

It all sounds fantastic - I'm so looking forward to it!
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2015 9:49:28 AM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

This looks fun. Between my kennels, I can provide some prize money too, probably $2500 worth, the easiest for me would be prize winnings in the form of buying a puppy.

I already sponsor a lot of shows.

And if basics need dogs to show, I always have lots of nice ones, several breeds, I can be emailed for more details about that.

I am going on vacation for a few days, will have internet but not as frequently.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2015 7:26:59 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I wasn't expecting this much support, it's great to see that everybody is looking forward to the events! laugh :D

Glittering - Unfortunately SD doesn't have very many goodies to offer lol. I'm going to be making some banners and such so hopefully that'll suffice, then we've got all the money donations though. happy :) As for the pricing idea, I love it! I think that'd be more of an individual event though, perhaps apart of the competition to see who can promote their breed(s) the best? wink ;)

Little River, Dead Until Dark and I have been brainstorming a bit and so far I think we've got a pretty good idea of the schedule:

October 1st - Contest threads are posted and entries open (can be pushed to Sept 29 if people want more time to enter).
October 4th - Contests begin.
November 4th - Contests close, judging (if applicable) begins.
November 6th - Judging ends, prizes sent.

Also, it looks like the majority of the events will be held in the Off-Topic Forum, so make sure to keep an eye out there! We will be posting publicity in the general forums but since we don't want to clog up the latest topics we'll hold the rest of it in off-topic. laugh :D

-----
Last edited by Myths on 9/24/2015 7:28:42 PM

Replies in this thread : 38
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.