Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Colors not accurate to breeds
 OceaniaFoxhounds
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/26/2015 5:39:24 PM reply with quote send message to OceaniaFoxhounds Object to Post   

In my two breeds, English Foxhounds and American Foxhounds, there are only 2 colors in each breed but there should be many more.

English Foxhounds can come in tricolor, lemon and white, white, red and white, grizzle tricolor, hare piebald, black and tan, black and white, and basically any "hound color" is acceptable.

American Foxhounds can come in any color.

Is there any way that this can be fixed?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2015 10:37:02 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

As far as the breed that has "any color" they almost have to have only a limited number of colors because you cant make a code / picture / name for EVERY color out there
 OceaniaFoxhounds
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2015 11:02:24 PM reply with quote send message to OceaniaFoxhounds Object to Post

I understand that but when you compare them to Harriers and Beagles, they don't have the same colors even though the wording in the standard is the same.
 Perdix
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2015 12:44:20 AM reply with quote send message to Perdix Object to Post

Lilliput here, from my basic.

When colors were added to the game, Jeff asked the players in each breed to decide what colors they wanted and how they wanted them coded. apparently the colors you have are what the players at the time decided they wanted in your breed for whatever reason. I can try and find the original threads so you can see their reasoning, or lack thereof,, but the links have been broken over time for many of them.

To change it now- you would need to first check with Jeff and see if he would even be willing to rewrite the code at this point. And then get a majority of your breed to agree on what colors to include and what the new code should be.

It would also mean that your colors would be completely reset- any color projects up to this point would be lost, your current generation dogs would be likely to change colors, as color resets start way back at the original source dogs.

And as pointed out above, I haven't checked your individual codes, but just because a breed says it can be any color, does not mean every known dog color occurs in that breed- there is likely still a limited gene pool as to what colors actually CAN be produced. Not likely the case here, just saying "any color" generally doesn't truly mean "any color" in practice in RL.
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2015 12:49:37 AM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I remember when colors were added and Lilliput is correct.

All colors were user given and decided.

I was very active in Kelpies at the time and I wrote the genetic codes for the Kelpie colors and then it was approved by the other players at the time.

I know some of the breeds head some pretty "good" discussions about the colors.

You might hunt through the breed forums and see if the posts are still there.
 Perdix
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2015 12:49:57 AM reply with quote send message to Perdix Object to Post

English Foxhound color code thread- www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=264408

American Foxhound color code thread-
www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=264410

It appears neither involved much breed discussion, and were done by a player not in your breed who was trying to get "good enough" codes for as many breeds as possible as many breeds did not know how to go about working with the genetic codes and colors.

If you want them changed, you'll still need to go through the above channels.
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2015 12:55:04 AM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

Many breeds were done that way. Cloud Nine was a gold mine for writing genetic codes.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.