Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Agility anyone?
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/9/2015 5:05:54 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post   

I was just wondering, does anyone do agility? And what breed are the dogs you do it with? I compete with my 2 border collies, and early next year, my young bc will be able to compete, which I'm super excited about, because she was born for agility laugh :D she's looking super promising. Anyway, enough about my dogs. Anyone an agility freak like me? razz :p also, has anyone got any tips/tricks to share?
BRW
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 1:14:49 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Sorry, no experience at all of agility, although it is popular here in the UK. I knew a lady who competed in mini agility with a tiny Shetland Sheepdog, and did quite well.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 1:18:54 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I had to retire my older Border Collies before competing for various reasons, but my youngest will be starting classes soon so I have high hopes for him. I've considered getting my Caucasian puppy introduced to agility as well.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 2:50:32 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

I've been taking classes with one of my Dandie Dinmonts for over a year and did our first trial this summer ... got two "Q"'s in Novice Standard!!!
If it wasn't for the weave poles we would have got more in Novice Jumpers with Weaves happy :). I work her in the "Select" or "Preferred" division because she is a long-backed, dwarf breed. It is my favorite dog sport I've ever done!!
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 2:53:21 PM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Haha, thanks for the replies guys!
And I love seeing little dogs run. It's my favourite dog sport too!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 3:22:10 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I don't do it now, my current dogs have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST, but I did compete with my mom and dad's Great Dane. She LOVED it. We were in the beginner class for the six weeks, but when the time to pay for the next round of classes came the instructor moved us to the advanced class. She LOVED it, but she is 32" at the shoulder so we slowed down the entries with her, then I met my husband and the entries slowed down even more. My mom did a few shows with her, but that eventually stopped as we wanted to preserve her joints(we lost our older Dane to bad hips, so we didn't want to chance it with Lola).

I'm hoping the next dog will show an interest in agility, or just training in general. lol
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 6:39:25 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I've competed with my chihuahuas. They're older now so we just "play agility". I plan on competing with Firefly (fox terrier) when she is older.
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 6:44:23 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Pirate jumping spread jump

Afterburner Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2015 8:32:51 AM reply with quote send message to Afterburner Kennels Object to Post

I train my tollers and border collies in agility. Its a great sport to get into! I finished a MACH on my one toller, but ever since ive been in school, i havent competed at all sad :( i miss it!
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2015 5:05:23 PM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Thats so cute! I've never seen a great dane do agility before! And I love the photo, Yippee!
I also have a problem with one of my Border Collies. We train at home and he loves going away from me and has a perfect weave entry, but as soon as we get to a trial, he goes really slow, won't go out and skips all the jumps. He even sometimes skips the weaves, and I don't know why he does it at a trial. At home he'll run around the backyard super fast, but in agility, he doesnt even run he just trots around and pays no attention to me at all. What I don't understand is that this slowness and skipping jumps only started recently happening. In around June, he was going really fast at our trials.So im not sure why he's doing it.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/11/2015 2:47:11 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I have done some agility with my Basenjis. Usually it takes a back seat though because we do so many different sports and its hard to train at home without all the equipment.
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2015 2:42:02 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

I compete with my 5 year old Border Collie (20"/22" jump height but we've been jumping 26" for the last year) and my 7 1/2 year old Goldendoodle (20"/22" jump height). LOVE the game an actually heading out to Cynosports/USDAA Nationals next week! Also, expecting a pup end of January!!

Started with Doodle and boy was she the most amazing first dog! She loves the game, just getting to do anything with her momma, and much to my novice dismay for kicks in class she'd run off down the ring taking jumps all on her own just to get laughs from the fellow students, lol. After we were competing for nearly a year she became my good steady girl, not very competitive with the fast BCs and such but we loved just working together and she was more or less a Qing machine.
...Then along the way the competitive bug hit me and I got the crazy idea to want to WIN, not just Q, lol. So we took 9 months off trialing and retrained to running contacts, ditched our perfect startline stays and changed my handling to racing through the course taunting Doodle to "catch"(eat) me, getting into those turns with her and tearing out of them for her to really chase me down. I have to say I can't imagine going back! Our Q rate is significantly lower now (occasional dropped bar, missed aframe, etc) but when we do Q we tend to be right up there in the ribbons with the BCs laugh :D Doodle's motto is "bark loud, bite harder" which she takes great delight in on the startline <3

Tess my BC was quite the opposite type of dog. Funny to say but I kind of thought "yeah, this will be great, BCs LOVE agility!" Only to find Tess didn't quite agree. Got Tess at 6 months old as a farm pup with no cares for treats, toys, attention, etc. only her stock. Starting obstacle training was a fun adventure compared to Doodle. Doodle took something just because it was in her vicinity while Tess could stand 5 feet in front of a tiny jump and she'd go around any chance, lol. Tess is quite the thinker and worrier so while Doodle taught me lessons on building drive and handling for speed, Tess taught me lessons on building confidence and rewarding for attitude. It's been a long road so far with overcoming her stress issues but this past year has been amazing! We competed at World Team Tryouts in May and will be going back in December for the European Open Team Tryouts. We're not the fastest team out there but we enjoy the game and me the challenge of trying to be her "perfect" handler so she doesn't have to worry about mistakes.

TCrown
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2015 5:34:18 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Thankyou for sharing so much about your dog's experiences! It really is good to read about other dogs, and know what they do etc. I've never seen a Goldendoodle do it before! Congratulations on the effort with both of your dogs! happy :)
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2015 10:41:36 AM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

What?! You've never seen a Doodle run?? Well we can fix that wink ;) Sorry, just love love love my girls. I could go on all day about them, agility, training, etc but I figure I can leave it at a few videos and spare you another earful, lol!

Doodle dog running JWW: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzObPEe0HKU

and running Standard:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtj8EDoC_SI

And my BC, Tess, from earlier this year:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAGhCCqJ6Y

We've got a long way to go still but but can't help but love where all we've been and how far we've come already!

<3 TCrown
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2015 3:22:27 PM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

I never have!! laugh :D and thanks, I'd love to check them out! I'll watch them later on happy :)
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/26/2015 9:14:51 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

posted by TCrown
What?! You've never seen a Doodle run?? Well we can fix that wink ;) Sorry, just love love love my girls. I could go on all day about them, agility, training, etc but I figure I can leave it at a few videos and spare you another earful, lol!

Doodle dog running JWW: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzObPEe0HKU

and running Standard:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtj8EDoC_SI

And my BC, Tess, from earlier this year:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAGhCCqJ6Y

We've got a long way to go still but but can't help but love where all we've been and how far we've come already!

<3 TCrown

Love them TC, always wanted to do agility but didn't have the chance with Sophie other then basic training teacher included a basic few jumps and tunnel, when she had an intermediate obedience class took it, Sophie remembered jumps and tunnel.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.