Search

.com Forum · Bergamasco

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Handlers?
 Ridley
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/25/2015 10:24:31 AM reply with quote send message to Ridley Object to Post   

Hey Bergamasco people, I have a question.

I enter shows in multiple kennels. Choose a show, enter, pick a handler if needed, and move on.

I have noticed that most of you are not using handlers in Bergamascos. Which of course results in my handler dog taking the show. (In a show with a handler judge)

May I ask why you are not using handlers? I feel like I'm missing something. I like the way this breed is going, thanks Mournebrake!

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 11:23:55 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Looking at the breed, since their are only 68 dogs in the game and 7 breeders, and the breed isn't super developed, people may not want to waste time ( or money for access handlers fees) to put handlers on dogs that aren't super competitive in the group.

I know for breeds i have that aren't super competitive, we don't use handlers because it provides a fair chance to everyone since our data base is no large enough to really be competitive. Most of the time people also don't use handlers out of respect to their other breeders to make things fair and let everyone have a chance.

I have a breed that there are only 4 active breeders and for the most part, we all communicate. The breed b nay way is close to being able to place in groups so we all agreed to be fair and equal to just not use handlers, so that way everyone has a fair chance. Recently we had a finishing kennel show a dog in our breed and they've been using handlers and been getting the points over dogs that should have easily beaten the dog under a 'non-handler' judge.

Personally I think if I'm not fighting for group placements or rankings, I think it's kind of silly to use handlers, even more when there are only 2 or 3 kennels entering each day. I've also found it to make other players mad and they will leave ( Which is rare breeds, every breeder counts)... but that's just me personally.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 3:32:49 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I'm not a Berg breeder but I second what Beach Dunes said. I'm apart of a few rarer breeds and since there aren't many dogs/breeders there isn't much competition, so it's more beneficial to have a casual-type friendly showing routine. happy :)

Especially if the breed isn't group competitive (as Beach Dunes said) there really isn't any point to handlers unless you want to up your ranking in which case you might be better suited to a more popular breed lol. It seems like Bergs are similar to the rarer breeds I've experienced so I'd say that's a pretty plausible explanation. happy :) The herding group can be pretty competitive as well and Bergs aren't quite up to par yet~
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 9:28:36 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I am HotSauce. I don't place handlers on my dogs because they aren't always fully sessioned and I get impatient going through looking for the top handler for my less than perfectly sessioned dog. laugh :D I personally don't mind stacking dogs in shows for your points. happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 9:30:08 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Also, keep using the handlers so you can see if a judge prefers Bergs to other breeds and gives group/show placements! laugh :D
 Ridley
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/27/2015 9:30:35 AM reply with quote send message to Ridley Object to Post

It's an interesting perspective, though I'll admit I don't really get it, lol. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

For me, picking the show/judge is the part that takes time. Handlers take about two seconds to pick.

I'll go along with the preference in this breed, I'm really fine either way.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 9:48:41 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I haven't heard any complaints about you using handlers. You pay to play as well, so you do it how you want. wink ;)
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 4:06:34 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

The time part was a very small percentage of what I was saying. I think my main point was how the other players take it and if others in the breed are fine with it. I know everyone pays but I'm very big on trying to make everyone happy and some people would be unhappy in that situation. If everyone is happy Then do as you please.

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 10/27/2015 4:08:19 PM
 Kitties Of Doom
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 4:17:37 PM reply with quote send message to Kitties Of Doom Object to Post

It really doesn't matter how breeders in the breed take it, there are no "no handler" breeds. As a breed, you cannot tell people to not use handlers.

I'm not sure if Jeffs stance has changed on this(It has been years), however, it used to be a major problem where breeders would bully and threaten to shut people out by denying them access to studs or puppies if they were caught using handlers in some breeds. If you were caught doing this, you'd get banned.

If you want to use handlers, use handlers. If you don't want to use handlers, don't use handlers.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 6:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Kitties Of Doom
It really doesn't matter how breeders in the breed take it, there are no "no handler" breeds. As a breed, you cannot tell people to not use handlers.

I'm not sure if Jeffs stance has changed on this(It has been years), however, it used to be a major problem where breeders would bully and threaten to shut people out by denying them access to studs or puppies if they were caught using handlers in some breeds. If you were caught doing this, you'd get banned.

If you want to use handlers, use handlers. If you don't want to use handlers, don't use handlers.

I have no clue where you got that anyone was bullying anyone. In the breeds I'm referring to, we all agreed to it, a mutual decision that everyone was ok with. I didn't even know people ever went low enough to block studs and puppies because of such a silly thing.

Edit; I guess I shouldn't have entered this forum since I'm not in the breed. Was just trying to add a thought about the question. No one seems to understand what I'm saying or where I'm coming from. I was in no way trying to be rude or say what you were doing is wrong.

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 10/27/2015 6:10:08 PM
 Kitties Of Doom
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 6:16:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kitties Of Doom Object to Post

posted by Beach Dunes
posted by Kitties Of Doom

I have no clue where you got that anyone was bullying anyone. In the breeds I'm referring to, we all agreed to it, a mutual decision that everyone was ok with. I didn't even know people ever went low enough to block studs and puppies because of such a silly thing.

Edit; I guess I shouldn't have entered this forum since I'm not in the breed. Was just trying to add a thought about the question. No one seems to understand what I'm saying or where I'm coming from. I was in no way trying to be rude or say what you were doing is wrong.

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 10/27/2015 6:10:08 PM

I didn't think anyone was, just clarifying that it simply doesn't matter if other breeders minded or not. If a person wants to use a handler, they can, if they don't want to, they don't have to, etc. But they can't dictate that others have to play their way. I understand where you're coming from and did not mean to come off as rude. Very sorry if I did.

-----
Last edited by Kitties Of Doom on 10/27/2015 6:17:22 PM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2015 6:22:22 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

But in conclusion; hats off to the OP who asked about it. It's obvious that the person was trying to make sure everyone was ok with how entries were, which is very considerate.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.