Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : The Retirement Couch
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/25/2015 11:59:59 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

Who uses the Retirement option and (in your opinion) what makes a dog 'worthy' enough to be retired and not forever-homed?

I personally love this option of the game because it gives me an option to sort of hold a 'trophy case' of dogs that have exceeded my expectations while they don't have to take up room in my kennel numbers. I don't see many people use it.
 Xi-Chi
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 12:12:34 PM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post

I was just thinking about this the other day. I love the retirement couch; though you can't tell by looking at mine yet. However, in the past I used to hold onto dogs that I had gotten attached to or my trophy dogs.

I have a hard time letting go of the dogs that I used to begin my line with. So they normally stay until they die of old age lol I like to picture them just chilling out on the couch watching tv with me. And now I sound like I've totally lost my mind.

-Serenity
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 3:19:09 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Personally I don't use my retirement couch unless the dog was extremely exceptional in some way (in one of my kennels I've retired one of the pups who was apart of the 500 pup litter lol). Though in my basic I'm trying to up my prestige so I've been retiring CH/GCHs that are no longer competitive. happy :)
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/25/2015 8:49:52 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I like having the option but Idon't use it a lot lol.

I'm such a stickler when it comes to paying the feed bill that I can't handle them being around long. I think I had one girl that lasted about a month in retirement before I went ahead and removed her.
 NissaV
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 9:04:37 PM reply with quote send message to NissaV Object to Post

I tend to keep all grand champions, as well as any champions that I was particularly impressed with. I didn't really start doing that until my kennel made a fair bit of money, though.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2015 9:25:43 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I'm like Silk N Denim ... Even the dogs who make #1 for GCH standings don't last. My Lab I got to #1 and when he turned 120 days I FH'd him. I tried to keep an awesome shower AND producer around, but she lasted two days before I got annoyed that I altered her and FH'd her. laugh :D Feed bills bug me, so if you aren't showing or producing you are out. Which is SOOOOOOOO opposite of me IRL. LOL

I have noticed quite a few kennels have very full couches. Drake Creek and Morpurgo2 immediately pop into mine. LOL
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/26/2015 8:23:54 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I use it as a launching pad for FHing my good dogs. It's hard for me to part with them so first I retire them, then I keep them for a little while then send them off. I know, dumb to get attached. LOL
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
10/26/2015 5:25:15 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I use it for dogs I've retired from the showring but am sessioning for obedience.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/26/2015 5:31:27 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
I use it for dogs I've retired from the showring but am sessioning for obedience.
That's actually a really good use. Didn't even think about that!
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/31/2015 10:09:30 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Depending on the kennel and my mood, my retirement couch may be any of the following.

ONLY GCH and UD titled dogs
Any Titled dog
Sentimental favorites
Champions from breeds I've left
Dogs being sessioned for obedience
Any Obedience titled dogs and GCH titled dogs

Occasionally I'll clear out my couches but I've been know to have over 30 retired dogs. I get attached.

-----
Last edited by Yippee Yahoo Kennels on 10/31/2015 10:10:54 PM
 Keaira
Basic User

Basic User
11/6/2015 11:42:10 AM reply with quote send message to Keaira Object to Post

I am always trying to up my prestige, so I keep ANY titled dogs on the Retirement Couch. All others get FH'd!
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
11/6/2015 3:46:33 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

I kept a large retirement couch in a former kennel when I was working my way up the prestige ladder (even getting in the top 10 used to be ALOT harder!).

Have used it recently when I just didn't want to FH a favorite, but eventually I decide I FH to avoid paying the food bill.

K
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2015 11:14:06 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I love the retirement couch! I keep dogs who have done exceptionally well, ones who have proven themselves in the ring, in breeding, have titled in conformation and obedience. They are the dogs that were exciting to own.

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.