Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Grand Champion Level/Image error
 rhondacline
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/4/2015 6:31:30 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Jeff
On the Grand Championship achievements

Bronze is correct, (100 pts)

but when you hit SILVER (200 pts) - the forum post says congrats for SILVER, but the dog's page shows text and image GOLD.

GOLD (400 pts) is correct

PLATINUM was voted on at 500 points .... but all dogs over 500 points are showing Gold.

HOWEVER, IF the current Select Dog/Select Bitch poll passes and is added - we may want to reconsider.

Edited to correct the Gold level points required

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 11/4/2015 8:56:27 PM
 Astoria2
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2015 5:03:49 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria2 Object to Post

The current AKC level is
Bronze - 100
Silver - 200
Gold - 400
Platinum - 800.

We have already determined that the maximum number of points able to be achieved by one dog in one show per day is 515 GCH points.
(120 days - 17 days = 103 days x 5 GCH points)
Say there's 2 specialties a month (one National and one user created), that's a potential of 40 more GCH points, maxing out at 555 GCH points.

In reality, though, that's not really possible.
I think the system should be:
Bronze - 100
Silver - 200
Gold - 300
Platinum - 400

At that scale, there would be:
14 - Platinum
58 - Gold

The most GCH points earned by a dog is 675 BUT that dog was entered in 75+ user created specialties....

Any other input?
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2015 5:14:19 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I agree with the proposed levels/awards as 100/200/300/400.
I've always said chances of reaching 500 were virtually impossible.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2015 8:53:56 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Sorry for the error in the first post. (300 vs 400)

As for the platinum level...
I think a lot depends on whether Select Dog/Bitch is added. If those extra points are available I have to think that personally I would want the higher minimum.

I do know from previous conversations that I seem to be in the minority though.

Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2015 7:41:51 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Even if/when selects are added that only means more dogs will be earning points. The maximum amount of points to be earned will be the same.
It'll likely play out that BOB/BOS gets 3-5 GCH points and selects get 1-3 points. Depending on the breeds though. If there's large entries selects can get 5 GCH points too.
But, there's just more dogs earning points, not more points being earned.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/5/2015 8:15:01 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Agreed with Astoria, it seems impossible to get to these levels as they are right now.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2015 9:36:14 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I still prefer the higher number...

The max number of points possible is not a definite number because it depends upon the number of specialties offered each month.

Also, your math shows dogs showing at day 17 – instead of day 14
So every dog has 106 days – 106 x 5 - 530
It’s not unusual for the top breeds to offer 1-2 specialties per week or more.
Even with a conservative – 4 Specialties per month (National + 3 specialties) – that’s 12 x 5 – 60 pts ........... for an achievable 590 points.
In my opinion, Platinum should not be achievable in breeds offering 2 specialties a month.

I do understand that the ‘max’ number of points won’t change.
But with select there is an opportunity for up to 4 dogs to earn GCH points which means we are going to see an increase in the number of dogs earning their GCH levels.
Bronze and Silver are fairly ‘easy’ to achieve and this update is going to make Gold much more achievable.

I understand lowering the level from 800 to 500 – because of our shortened ‘show life’ – but I feel like lowering it more than that is just a way to make the award more easy to achieve and that, in my mind, is not what the Platinum level represents. At 500 – we have 5 dogs that have achieved Platinum and to me that accurately represents the Platinum achievement.

Just my personal opinion.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/5/2015 11:16:32 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I tend to agree with Rhonda, however I think there perhaps should be a more even transition.

What do others think:

100 > 200 > 350 > 500

This raises the requirement for gold by 50 points over what Rhonda has suggested.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2015 11:28:51 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I have the math starting at day 17 for GCH points because the minimum days for a dog to finish is 3, with 3 5 point majors. You can't start earing GCH points without already being a Champion.

I'm really fine with whatever everyone decides to do - I understand that Platinum should be difficult to achieve, but as someone who is in a few rare-r breeds, it would be disappointing to think that I could never have a Platinum GCH without sponsoring and filling my own specialties.
I know that's not the case for most breeds but it is something that runs through my mind.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.