Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : choosing what source breeding pup to keep
 oak knoll
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/15/2015 10:51:32 AM reply with quote send message to oak knoll Object to Post   

when breeding source pups.. which do you keep? the one with the higher Genetic Quality on top ( from the old) or the GQ on the bottom which his lower an all red basically ( from the new version)?

oak knoll
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2015 6:33:25 PM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

I kept the highest adjusted SOP pup (that was the color I wanted) using the old view. SS is easy to breed up, so I considered it to be the least important trait when I got started. Others may have a different method.
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/21/2015 9:20:02 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I try to keep the higher bitch and dog out of the litter. I have found that every other litter, the SOP doesn't change much. I am disappointed but the next litter gets a bump up.

After awhile, I start keeping the ones with the best heads.
SOP can be altered falsely by a SS of 20. I ignore that and look at the other numbers/colours...not so much the SOP.

I've been at this for 10 years now, in this kennel.
I now have all blues, except the TNB and feet. Those are the last to turn, in Welsh Springers.
I'm going for darker blues across the top now.

It is a challenge but i really like this.

Carol

-----
Last edited by Caulfeilds Kennels on 11/21/2015 9:21:50 PM

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.