.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 32
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : rl show dog
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/8/2015 11:43:11 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I'm going to start showing dogs in rl but don't know we're to start other than with an akc dog I live in the woodlands texas about 30 from Houston I would appreciate any help on contacting breeders show handlers anybody that could help

-----
Last edited by shadow_kitty puppies on 12/8/2015 11:46:55 PM

-----
Last edited by shadow_kitty puppies on 12/8/2015 11:47:26 PM
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 2:15:19 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

It might help to provide the forum some additional info so that people can provide you with appropriate advice.

Some questions to consider might include:

What type of dog your interested in showing (and living with)?

Are you looking at showing in Juniors (if under 18)?

Are you hoping to get a dog that you can show/finish yourself or are you okay with letting a professional handler?

How much grooming are you willing to do?

happy :)

Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 7:00:02 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I'm not sure what breed yet but I like larger dogs such as labs flat coat retriever gsd size
looking at dog shows for once I like then from those I'm going to get more info about them online
I'm 33 have had dogs my whole life but this will be my first show dog
I want a female will be showing her myself
I'm a stay at home mom to a 10yr old also have a cat
I want to train it to be a service dog since I have epilepsy(seizure disorder) and will get any exercise it needs I live in an apartment but I feel that I can provide the exercise to the breeds such as vizsla, aussies, or border collies
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 7:03:11 AM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I don't know what to expect from a show dog how to train them to show or dog shows themselves since I've never been to one only seen them in tv the last post was also me
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 7:17:13 AM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Hi,
I live in Sugar Landhappy :) but my family all lives near The Woodlands.
Hot Dog training club does a confirmation class in Houston every Tuesday night you can attend once you have a puppy.
Theres also a few handlers that say they offer classes one on one or group- I never had much luck there- (classes werent available at the time, check back later, etc) but can give you the names if youd like to try.
I have labs- and can recommend some nice lab breeders if thats the direction you go.
Unfortunately I didnt get the chance to start showing myself yet as my girl has ED- but hopefully well add another show prospect next year.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 11:55:36 AM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

You seriously need to research the breeds you are interested in and cross reference them to your living situation. Unfortunately, four of the breeds you have listed (BC, Aussie, GSD and Visila) are completely unsuited to apartment living as all are very "high drive" breeds. There are many medium sized breeds that would be completely suited to that lifestyle ... the Lab you mentioned, for instance. How much grooming are you committed to doing? I would go online and find out dates of dog shows in your area and start attending them to see the different breeds up close, meet some breeders and look at all the work that is entailed in the sport. To find shows, www.infodog.com is a great source. Follow the link from "show info" click on "by state" and look for shows listed in your area. When you decide upon your breed, interview a selection of breeders and find a responsible breeder who will also be your mentor and walk you through the entire show process. I can't stress enough the importance of this relationship since it will be for the life of your dog, so spend time choosing this future huge presence in your life. Responsible breeders don't just sell you a "show quality" puppy and fade away. A lot to think about and a LOT of expense! Any questions, please feel free to ask.
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 1:15:45 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I think I've decided to go with flat coated retrievers or labs they will get lots of exercise even though I live in an apartment I will be walking it at least 45min at night and 30 min in the morning taking it for biking and I have a dog park near me and ponds of couse they both love! water also will teach it for retrieving and and agility since I stay at home I can give them the exercise they need I have seizures so they will be my service dog as well I have a 10yr old son 16yr old brother 9yr nephew and 2 niece's 5&8yrs old I might just get a lab for now
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 1:23:42 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

Dead until dark could you give me the contacts you have with lab's I've decided that It will be lab's or flat coat retrievers I've been around labs but not flat coats so I want to talk to breeders,owners,or handlers of both breeds
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 4:31:44 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

There is a show next month at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds too you can attend.
Theres also a Flat coated retrv person in Katy- im not sure if theyre still breeding or not
 Afterburner Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 5:04:13 PM reply with quote send message to Afterburner Kennels Object to Post

I know a toller breeder down by Midway.
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 5:28:07 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I can't drive so things have to be near me and I've decided on a lab
 cherrywood kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 7:16:07 PM reply with quote send message to cherrywood kennel Object to Post

there is also Toller breeder in Magnoila. you just missed a show that was held in Conroe (just north of you)

You can contact the Conroe Kennel club or, the Houston Kennel club or Cypress Kennel Club for recommendations

Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2015 9:07:31 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

posted by cherrywood kennel
there is also Toller breeder in Magnoila. you just missed a show that was held in Conroe (just north of you)

You can contact the Conroe Kennel club or, the Houston Kennel club or Cypress Kennel Club for recommendations

I follow them and their training on facebook- love their tollers!
Are you local?
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 1:18:51 AM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I think I might get a gsd I like their temperament and they're beautiful dogs instead of a lab
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 1:19:37 AM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I know of only one breeder close and that's Heidelberg Shepherds In old town spring
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/10/2015 1:45:46 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

posted by
I'm not sure what breed yet but I like larger dogs such as labs flat coat retriever gsd size
looking at dog shows for once I like then from those I'm going to get more info about them online
I'm 33 have had dogs my whole life but this will be my first show dog
I want a female will be showing her myself
I'm a stay at home mom to a 10yr old also have a cat
I want to train it to be a service dog since I have epilepsy(seizure disorder) and will get any exercise it needs I live in an apartment but I feel that I can provide the exercise to the breeds such as vizsla, aussies, or border collies

Also one topic I don't think anyone has touched upon being your seizure alert dog, all dogs don't pick up on seizures ahead of time, I think it may call for specialized training. Sureshot can comment on that, will link her in.
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 4:38:34 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

Training a seizure dog. Well, my understanding is that it's like many other service dog jobs in that the dog has to kind of already want and be able to do the job...some dogs detect and alert to seizures, but not all do. What I mean is, you may find a dog that has the ability to detect seizures, but it may not be a show dog. Or your wonderful show dog may not be one of those dogs that detects. You can only train so much into a dog; there has to be some natural desire and ability there, as how a dog that has zero desire to retrieve may not make a good search and rescue dog no matter how much training you put in.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread) but the first thing I think you should keep in mind is that this will be your dog. Your pet. Shows and service notwithstanding, you have to live with this dog, whatever breed it may be, and all the things that you would take into consideration when choosing a pet dog must also be considered when choosing a breed to show, as well as thinking of what it will entail as a show dog, like high-maintenance grooming,whether or not there are shows in your area that will have other dogs to compete against (though Labs and GSDs are both very popular breeds) etc. For example, I would love a standard Poodle as a pet, but no way would I ever have one as a show dog; I cannot handle that much grooming. (Well, I can, but I don't want to LOL).

The TL;DR version? The dog you find that is able to detect and alert to seizures may not be an ideal show dog, and the ideal show dog may not have the ability to detect seizures.

shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 9:12:39 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

They will be a pet first and then a show dog I had a German Shepherd 8yrs ago but had to rehome her because I couldn't handle a 2yr and an 8 month old puppy otherwise I would have kept I had tried for 6 months but I couldn't find the time but my son is 10yr and I stay at home if I had waited then it would have been fine but I was impatient and didn't think it through
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 9:24:14 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

There are 2 types of seizure dogs response which helps someone having one and predict which tell you when you can have a responses dog that canpredict
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2015 9:38:16 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

My husband won't let me get a shepherd so lab's what I'm getting
 Perdix
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2015 12:24:50 AM reply with quote send message to Perdix Object to Post

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you slow your search down. You've thrown out a number of very different breeds in this thread and seem to jump rapidly from one to another. Finding a companion dog takes time and research. Finding a great show dog takes even MORE time and research. You're not going to have a good experience if you go out and buy this dog tomorrow or even next month. Instead, write down the breeds you are considering, and go research them. Talk to service dog trainers in your area and service dog owners about what to look for etc, talk to breeders, go to shows and watch the rings to see what kennels you like and what correct type is, spend time with dogs of your various breeds to see which are really a good match for you in person (being told about a border collie's energy and seeing it in person are too VERY different experiences). This is not a process to be undertaken lightly or quickly. You'll have a much more positive experience if you go into it thinking you're not going to even put down a deposit for at least 6 months- a year, and give yourself the time to work out what you really want.

Replies in this thread : 32
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class