Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 32
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2015 1:05:28 AM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I'm not going to be putting deposits for at least 6 months I'm going to talk to Heidelberg Shepherds they are 10 min away and in January my husband's taking me to the show at Fort bend county fairgrounds I've still doing research though I have had a border collie mix, norwegian Elkhorn,German Shepherd, cocker spaniel, and other mixes have also had family that owned a lab,collie,American Eskimo, beagle, Shetland sheepdog, dachshund those are the ones I remember so I have had multiple breeds but I make my final choices based on what breeders and handlers say.
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2015 12:54:50 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have to echo what Perdix says.

With all due respect I don't think Shadow_Kitty has really thought this out and I'm afraid the dog will suffer. She has already taken and given up on a 8 month old shepherd - yes, circumstances change, but there is history here. Why doesn't hubby want a shepherd? She also says "I might just get a lab for now" (12/9/2015 1:15:45 PM). What does "for now" mean?

If you need a service dog, that should be the first priority. If it's showable, fine but I'd be thinking more about obedience/rally, that sort of thing rather than conformation.

I'm sure Shadow_Kitty is sincere, but I see a number of potential issues.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio9 on 12/11/2015 12:57:36 PM
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2015 2:21:21 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

I haven't picked my breed fully yet still choosing going to a show in January and will be asking breeders and handlers there I have a breeder of Shepherds 20min away I will me talking to them next week about the for now I meant in my mind not on a real dog they are a lifetime commitment I made a mistake on my other shepherd but that was 8yrs ago and I didn't have a real plan then it was spur of the moment but I am going to be doing a lot of research and talking to breeders and owners of those breeds as I narrow them down
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2015 2:24:02 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

Also it is for a first showdog not to get rid when I get a different breed i might like but wasn't available and this is still 6 months or more before any money will be put down on it so I'm working on choosing the right breed
 shadow_kitty puppies
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2015 2:28:44 PM reply with quote send message to shadow_kitty puppies Object to Post

Always pet first then everything else for my first show dog I'm going to be training and learning to show on it so I wanted a short coated breed but the med length if it's easy to groom will be fine I have to find out more I've had lab's so I choose that breed but I might get a different breed I've got time I'm not getting it till I'm 100% sure that is what I want
 cherrywood kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2015 2:38:32 PM reply with quote send message to cherrywood kennel Object to Post

I would recommend you avoid GSD if you are going to show. That ring is a very handler friendly ring, and if you are going to owner handle you better have a fine looking dog.

As for Heidleburg Sheperds there are other breeders in the Houston area that I would recommend before them. (not that they don't do health testing but temperaments' could be better)

Go to the Ft Bend show and talk to people after they have shown. Most of them are very nice and happy to chit chat

But You are going to be hard pressed to find a large breed reputable breeder that will let you have a dog while you live in an apartment.

if you are training for a service dog, you need to have a trainer BEFORE you get a pup as they can direct you to a pup that will better fit your main needs (service dog vs show dog)

Yes I am local and I have shown for decades.
 cherrywood kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2015 2:46:50 PM reply with quote send message to cherrywood kennel Object to Post

I should also add that even the short hair dogs (which Labs and GSD are not) require a grooming commitment.

For really short hair dogs (Vizla, Whippets etc) you may not need a Forced Air Dryer but weekly nails and bath

For Labs (and those with Lab type hair Swissy Etc) you will need a forced Air dryer and again weekly bath and nail

Everything else is looking at a grooming commitment that requires quite a bit of funds.

Good quality force dryers start at $300 and not get me started on all the other stuff you need.

RockyMtn
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2015 9:44:56 PM reply with quote send message to RockyMtn Object to Post

Also be aware anything you choose you need to talk to many breeds even if they are states away. You should have a list of questions for these breeders. Choosing a kennel based Apon your proximity is going to limit a good potential dog for your family. Also if your hubby is against a shepherd you should not get one. Don't get a dog and put it into a situation that a family member is not going to love it like you do.

Being new to the dogs how world is not always a friendly one. Depending on the breed each has there merits and faults the dogs and people a like. The breeder you choose should be there for you and help guide you through the beginning.

Wish you the best of luck.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2015 3:34:55 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Ok. I'm going to try to help here.

I show dogs full time for a living. I travel the country every weekend doing well over 3 to 4 shows a week and showing a variety of breeds. I started in dogs a little over a year and a half ago.

I was like you. I picked the first thing available to me and it was the worst thing I could have done. I picked a local Standard Poodle breeder because I thought the breed was cool. The breeder NEVER helped me with my dog (But go figure, now that I've 'made' it, she wants me to show her dogs for free!). I was completely lost and had no help but luckily I was stubborn enough to stay in the sport and find what I needed.

#1 Find your LOCAL KENNEL CLUB
I don't know exactly where you lived but i looked up Houston Kennel Club and got this website: https://www.onofrio.com/jodstwo/clubs/allbreedclubs/hous.html
I'm sure you can look up your location and find a kennel club near you, you can do this on AKC.org or on google.

#2 Not to be rude but if you can't drive, you won't be able to actively show dogs. Very rarely are dog shows local. I'm a member of my towns Kennel Club and our dog show is located 2 1/2 hours away from the city. There are very little shows that are within 30 minutes of the meeting center or town

#3 Like others have said, GSDs are VERY handler pronounced breeds because they are NOT easy to show. I suggest you look up a German Shepherd Nationals video and you'll be surprised at what you see ( and hear )

#4 If you find a breed you lie, DON'T go with the first litter or dog you see, you need to do research on the health testing the breeder has done on the parents and you need to make sure you like the line. Find a dog that you feels FITS the breed standard

#5 Again I apologize for sounding rude but I agree with GaylanStudio9 "If you need a service dog, that should be the first priority. If it's showable, fine but I'd be thinking more about obedience/rally, that sort of thing rather than conformation.

I'm sure Shadow_Kitty is sincere, but I see a number of potential issues."

#6 I don't know your money situation but this is NOT a cheap sport/hobby. The dog itself can cost as 'LITTLE' as 1,200 up to 3,000 based on the breed and quality. Then you have to pay for all the shots (if a puppy needs it) as well as all the grooming equipment. And as Cherry said, "shorthaired" dogs still need a ton of supplies for grooming. Shows itself are a huge toll on your wallet. You have to have gas money to travel, then pay for a hotel for a couple of nights and normally entries are around 35 dollars a day. Expect to pay at least 300 a weekend.

PLEASE listen to what everyone is saying. We are trying to help and you have to look at this all realistically.

-Hayley
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2015 8:53:31 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

This is a super reply Haley - very accurate and understanding!

K
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2015 10:26:21 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

Thanks Hayley. You phrased things better. I agree with everything you said.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
12/22/2015 12:46:16 AM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

Very true from what I have learned here from everyone.

Replies in this thread : 32
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.