Search

.com Forum · Schipperke

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : confused on colour?
 HodgePodge of Dogs
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/24/2015 8:57:49 AM reply with quote send message to HodgePodge of Dogs Object to Post   

This is from the AKC breed standard

Coat and Color:

The coat must be black, abundant, and slightly harsh to the touch. Short on the ears, front of the legs, and on the hocks,
Disqualifications:

Any color other than solid black, drop or semi-erect ears, overshot or undershot mouth.

with this said how do we end up with chocolate and cream when both colours aren't showable in RL?
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2015 9:45:40 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

When colors were implemented on SD it was up to the players to determine the color(s) and genetics.

Some breeds have colors that are DQs according to AKC or other registries but still exist within the breed.
Black German Shorthaired Pointers come to mind.
Since the color does occur in the breed, can be registered, and can compete in competition events, there are black GSPs on SD.

Technically, breeds on SD don't have a breed standard, per say, and does not follow AKC exactly. I've always just assumed that there are no color DQs since there's no real standard
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2015 4:21:19 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

They've also included Ridgeless Ridgebacks on SD - which is an obvious DQ in the ring in RL - but genetically ridgeless pups are born very frequently.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2015 5:30:50 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by Astoria Kennel
I've always just assumed that there are no color DQs since there's no real standard
There are no color DQs because color was added into the game a number of years after SD started and there was much concern from the players about having to restart their whole breeding lines if color became a judgeable trait. Particularly since there was no way to predict what colors the current generation as, since they had to start the genetics back from source dogs at the very beginning- so some breeds turned all less desirable colors, since no one had been breeding for color all that time. (because it previously didn't exist). Jeff had to promise to make color a "just for fun" trait and that if it ever did become a factor in judging, he'd give the players many months notice.
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2015 11:41:11 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

Thanks so much for the info, Lilliput happy :)
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/25/2015 12:47:06 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

As far as breed standards for colour for this breed, I don't know much about the AKC standards, but in some other parts of the world other colours are showable.

The UK standard and the ANKC (Australian National Kennel Club) standard states:

Colour: Usually black but other whole colours permissible.

So other colours are not totally incorrect, if you look at showing world wide.

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolfsister on 12/25/2015 12:51:52 AM
 Xi-Chi
Basic User

Basic User
12/25/2015 2:11:03 PM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Many years ago I tried to petition to have black and silver added to GSDs, but this was rejected. The AKC permits them although they are slightly faulted. However, the reason the color was rejected was because in other parts of the world they are not allowed at all.

Notice I've never worked with GSDs as a result lol

I realize that has nothing to do with Skips....just wanted to let you know that you are not alone here. There are other cases where this has happened for whatever that's worth.

-Serenity

-----
Last edited by Xi-Chi on 12/25/2015 2:13:33 PM
 HodgePodge of Dogs
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2015 7:45:59 PM reply with quote send message to HodgePodge of Dogs Object to Post

thanks for the info, i had always thought game was pretty accurate to real life, but then i remembered We have Coloured headed white Shelties in the game Sable Merle and Double Merle all BIG no-no's genetically in a real life program, Now a days we do see Sable Merle in the ring AND winning but the other colours are disqualified.

I do breed for rare colours in my other kennels with different breeds but my Skips are going to stay Black happy :).

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.