Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Puppy update - pictures
 krisk
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/26/2015 9:39:33 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post   

Well the puppies turned 5 weeks old on Christmas. We unfortunately had some bad news on Wed. We had one puppy that was having trouble when we started them on solid foods. She regurgitated food several times and was showing signs of distress after eating. We suspected a esophagus problem (having run into it before). So off to the vets we went for a barium x-ray, were it was confirmed to be megaesophagus. We made the decision to euthanize her (purple collar female - Prea). So we have two males and two females, all four remaining pups are thriving.

Pink collar female (Bella) - Chilco's Eclipse of Sunflower (staying with me)

Yellow collar female (Harie)- Sunflower's Harriet of Chilco (yes a long coat - may stay with co-breeder)

Wine collar male (Kemo)- Sunflower's Kemo of Chilco (registered name undetermined yet - Sold)

Blue collar male (Monty)- Sunflower's Monty of Chilco (registered name undetermined yet - the other possible choice of the co-breeder)

The boys together

The girls together

krisk
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2015 9:49:20 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

So cute! Sorry about the other pup sad :( was there nothing you could do...?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2015 11:09:07 PM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

LRK, there is no quality of life for a dog with that diagnosis ... they are uncomfortable every time they eat for their entire lives. The surgical option is brutal and not guaranteed to improve the quality of life or extend it even. Krisk made the kindest and best decision for the puppy's best interest. Kudos to her for doing the right thing because it is never an easy decision.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2015 8:21:11 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Ah. I don't know much about the condition, wasn't sure how it would be treated.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/28/2015 1:06:18 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Pics aren't showing up for me.

Sorry about the mega pup sad :(
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2015 11:10:45 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Thank you (sorry you can't see the pictures) and LRK don't feel bad about asking. When I first ran into megaesphogus, I had no idea what it was or anything about it either. It was a very hard decision. Sometimes you can feed a dog in a "Bailey's Chair" (which holds the dog upright on his hind legs as he eats). But it is an uncertain out come. Sometimes things work and sometimes despite every effort, they still do not make it. I would not put an new owner threw this, the possible early loss or the medical bills that could result when there are so many healthy dogs looking for homes. But that all aside, she was in pain and distress when she ate. So we made the decision.

krisk
 Khabberet Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2015 10:41:54 PM reply with quote send message to Khabberet Kennels Object to Post

Sorry to hear about the pup sad :( that sucks but I agree the right decision was made. They pups are noce! I really like the blue collar boy!
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2015 10:27:35 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Yes, if only I was looking to keep a boy. But I am after a girl, a girl friend for Seelie in a couple of years. For that reason Harietta is also not in the running. Breed a long coat to a long coat and all you will get is long coats. So, that leaves me with Bella, and I am quite happy with her being pick girl and 2nd pick in the litter. My last 2nd pick in the litter and pick female, that I hung onto was her mother...Bella was born the day before her mothers birthday, both girls were given pink puppy identification tags, both were the pick female and 2nd pick in their litters...Her mother of course being GCh.Sunflower's PrettyInPink Frost ... Miss Molly Monkey herself. Pretty big shoes to fill.

Pictures: Bella at 5 weeks old and Molly at 6 weeks old.

krisk
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2015 11:45:38 PM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

I actually like the rear angles and strength on the puppy on the left better!! I know stacking puppies is a nightmare, so the other one may just be resisting happy :) My pick puppy looks awful in the stacked pictures but is stunning "live"
 London Calling
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2016 1:13:03 AM reply with quote send message to London Calling Object to Post

posted by Reflections Of
I actually like the rear angles and strength on the puppy on the left better!! I know stacking puppies is a nightmare, so the other one may just be resisting happy :) My pick puppy looks awful in the stacked pictures but is stunning "live"
Reflections, those pics are of Mother and Daughter side by side at the same age happy :) I must admit i also like Bella in that photo, but MOlly turned out stunning that little girl has some big pawprints to fill.

Congrats on the litter krisk, sorry that you had to make that awful decision for the one baby but we know you did what was best for her.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2016 12:55:27 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

The puppies that don't meet the typical kennel club standards, do you sell them to families? (Just curious). I'm assuming you show your dogs too, lol, not just breed them. (?)
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2016 7:59:52 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Yes, dogs that either do not fit the "ideal" or lack the "attitude" for the show ring, find their homes in loving pet homes. Sometimes even you show "picks" will find homes in loving pet homes because, either you can't find a show home for them or the home is just too good to turn down. I have placed many show quality dogs into loving family homes. The right home comes before a ring home any day.

We are doing another set of evaluations on Sunday. Bella is coming home with me, Kemo is going to a pet home in the US and the co-breeder will be making her final decision on Harie and Monty (one if not both will then be offered for sale, although we do have people waiting on our decision).

krisk
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2016 10:04:02 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Well that is wonderful as well happy :) I love the photos by the way. They're so adorable, and I really wish you luck with them! Sorry about the other one and I apologize if my question seemed insensitive originally. I had never heard of the disease so I didn't know what it was.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2016 1:20:16 AM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

No your question was fine. Until we had our first affected pup, we had never heard of it either.

krisk
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
1/4/2016 9:31:05 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

Love the photos Krisk! Been stalking your puppy photos on FB. wink :)

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.