Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Show puppy with mange....
 LadyBaker08
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/2/2016 7:49:09 PM reply with quote send message to LadyBaker08 Object to Post   

I bought a puppy with the intent to show her and she ended up getting demodectic mange... My breeder said it's no big deal just treat her and then show her still. She also said it's okay to still breed her later? I have read that it is not okay to breed a dog that had puppy mange. She has healed and looks great, but I don't know if it would be ethical to still show her knowing she had mange earlier.

Also after going thru her first heat she still has swollen nipples... I have two other dogs both males that have been neutered a long time ago... testicle removal... She was under my supervision or in a kennel the whole time she was in heat so no puppies...

There is a show in like a month in a half I wanted to show her in but what if she is having a false pregnancy?

Help please... my breeder isn't helping me understand all this.
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 8:17:25 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

My bitch remained swollen for a few weeks post cycle without going through a false pregnancy. They stayed larger than before even when they went down ( I look at in like puberty in teens)

You are correct- demodex mange is a hereditary condition and it would not be recommended you breed your girl, additionally it would be recommended that her dam be spayed as well.

However I dont think most do.IMO Its not as bad as breeding a bitch with say hip dysplasia, as it is treatable, however are you okay with the idea of new owners coming back to you when the pups you sell come up with a case of puppy mange?
 High Tea
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 8:39:30 PM reply with quote send message to High Tea Object to Post

You should be contacting your breed's club! Where did you find this breeder?
 LadyBaker08
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 9:17:45 PM reply with quote send message to LadyBaker08 Object to Post

I found the breeder online. I actually really like her a lot and have made friends with her. She just has a different view about it than I do. I don't want to have puppies with mange... And thanks for the reply about the swelling. I appreciate the help.
 RockyMtn
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 11:12:19 PM reply with quote send message to RockyMtn Object to Post

I would do some research on it. Find another breeder to talk to that's been in the bree for a long time. You may find it may be hard to get away from in that particular breed. Personally I would not want that in my breeding program treatable or not. It's a responsibility of a breeder to better the breed not continue to walk the same road. She should also be your mentor for your breed. Not just selling you a puppy and half helping you because there was a problem.
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 11:20:10 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

posted by RockyMtn
I would do some research on it. Find another breeder to talk to that's been in the bree for a long time. You may find it may be hard to get away from in that particular breed. Personally I would not want that in my breeding program treatable or not. It's a responsibility of a breeder to better the breed not continue to walk the same road. She should also be your mentor for your breed. Not just selling you a puppy and half helping you because there was a problem.
I was just going to say that. You don't say what breed you have, but

"some individuals are sensitive to the mites due to a cellular immune deficiency, underlying disease, stress, or malnutrition,[1] which can lead to the development of clinical demodectic mange.

Some breeds appear to have an increased risk of mild cases as young dogs, including the Afghan Hound, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Chihuahua, Chow Chow, Shar Pei, Collie, Dalmatian, Doberman Pinscher, Bulldog, French Bulldog, English Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier, German Shepherd Dog, Great Dane, Old English Sheepdog, American Pit Bull Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, Rat Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier and Pug."

If its one of the breeds listed, I would not be as concerned as if it was a breed that WASNT listed. If some breeds have more of a predisposition to having the issue, your breeder is probably right. But if the breed DOESNT have the predisposition to it, it would be a HUGE red flag for me that the breeder is trying to pass it off as NBD. All dogs have the parasite, but the things that make it flare up, specifically having immune issues, would make me hesitate to breed from that line.
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2016 11:26:40 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

From the same site, do with the info as you will:

"Because of the possibility of the immune deficiency being an inherited trait, many veterinarians believe that all puppies with generalized demodex should be spayed or neutered and not reproduce. Females with generalized demodex should be spayed because the stress of the estrus cycle will often bring on a fresh wave of clinical signs."

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.