Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Question for all trait breeders
 Xi-Chi
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/3/2016 12:45:38 PM reply with quote send message to Xi-Chi Object to Post   

Hi guys. For those of you who don't base your best dogs on SOP alone, how do you evaluate the traits of your dogs? The system I have been using seems to fail me when I have pups born that have traits over 10. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this.

-Serenity
 Scalawag
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2016 2:41:12 PM reply with quote send message to Scalawag Object to Post

I trait breed for feet and size in this kennel (separately). My system is simple, but seems to be working okay. I started with a minimum cutoff for what I would keep. It started with 9.3 in each. I just would breed to the highest in each trait that I could, but never breeding to a male that was under my minimum. I kept only pups that were at least my minimum (and tried to keep ones that had decent SS, since that can also be an issue in Kees). If I got a higher trait pup with a "bad" sop, I'd still keep it. My minimum is now 9.5 in both traits, and I'm regularly getting 9.6s. But, I have nothing over 10 to work with, so this may not help your issue!
 apso s
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2016 9:59:53 PM reply with quote send message to apso s Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I work by coloir of the traits more so. I want to get all them up to the dark dark blue. So I look for a stud with a dark dark blue trait that my girl hasn't got.
My line has allways had an issue with size and feet but and it seems they are now the breeds worse ones. I did a two prong approach, first as said above I had a cut off point anything under 8.3 was out. I also got a few starter dogs with those traits over 10 (were talking 20 or 19) and bred them to my best feet/size studs. Each time that number dropped a bit I would keep that pup and do the same. Also got some surprise dark blue in other traits pop out of the line eventualy. Now have some 9s in those traits so working on getting all my dogs to have the darker blue for them.
I'm trying it with the rotts at the moment.

-----
Last edited by apso s on 2/3/2016 10:00:46 PM

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.