Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : No Points for Group Win?
 Artistri
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/7/2016 3:20:41 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post   

This dog one best in group today and didn't get any points... Is this correct? She was the only Toller, but I thought if you got a group 1st you got points.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14602182
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 3:31:06 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I thought you got the equivalent to the highest major in any breed in the group that you won.
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 3:54:22 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

I had a look through the AKC rules (as that's what SD judging is based on)

And I found this:

" Grand Championship Points will not be awarded for competition beyond Best of Breed or Best of Variety of Breed competition."

So I'm fairly sure that's the reason Seven Seas Voyage didn't pick up any points even though he took BIG, as he didn't beat any other dogs of his own breed.

If you look at his win from 'Bubblys All breed' on the 4th Feb, he took BIG as well - but only picked up 3 GC points - as there was a total of 4 entries in the breed and he placed BOB and then BIG.
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 4:27:24 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Mournebrake, second in group won a 5 point major so that would mean she should get 5 points also.

Queleute, then what about this win? She won BIG, only beating 3 dogs in BOB and ended up with 5 CH points
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Amberline%20114&breed=English%20Setter

I also just noticed this win. My dog won 4th in show and got 3 GCH points so if we are going by Mournebrake's theory (which is what I though was true) then she should have gotten 5 points, as group 2nd got 5 points.
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Winter%20Frolic%20XV&breed=Golden%20Retriever

-----
Last edited by Artistri on 2/7/2016 6:06:44 PM
 Templecloud Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/7/2016 4:50:34 PM reply with quote send message to Templecloud Kennels Object to Post

Other ways to get more points...
•Best of Winners receives the highest amount of points between the Winners Dog and Winners Bitch.
•Best in Breed gets credit for competing with all dogs in the breed.
•Best in Group gets credit for competing with all dogs in the group.
•Best in Show gets credit for competing with all dogs in the show.

For example, if a dog gets two points for winning Best of Winners and then goes on to win Best in Group (56 dogs entered in the group), it would receive the amount of points it would have gotten for competing with 56 dogs. Typically, if a dog goes Best in Group it will receive the full five points.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
2/7/2016 5:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

It looks like there is dicussion of both GC points and CH points going on in this thread.

There's no additional grand champion points for group wins on here but we do award champion points for group wins, which doesn't jive with the AKC. The champion points for group wins was something done a long time ago at the request of users.

If I need to get rid of the additional champion points for group wins, please let me know.
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 5:56:21 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

Thank you admin for your response.
Actually AKC does award points to non-champions who win the group:

"SECTION 2. A dog which in its breed competition
at a show shall have been placed Winners and which
also shall have won its group class at the same show
shall be awarded championship points figured at the
highest point rating of any breed or recognized variety
or height of any breed entered in the show and entitled
to winners points in its group, or if it also shall have
been designated Best in Show, shall be awarded championship
points figured at the highest point rating of
any breed or recognized variety or height of any breed
entered and entitled to winners points in the show. The
final points to be awarded under this section shall not
be in addition to but inclusive of any points previously
awarded the dog in its breed competition or under the
provisions of this section."

This explains why one of my dogs (not a CH) did get 5 points for a group win.

I guess I just thought GCH points were calculated the same way... I don't really have to worry about group wins with my dogs in real life lol.
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 5:56:37 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by Artistri
Mournebrake, second in group won a 5 point major so that would mean she should get 5 points also.

Queleute, then what about this win? She won BIG, only beating 3 dogs in BOB and ended up with 5 GCH points
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Amberline%20114&breed=English%20Setter

I also just noticed this win. My dog won 4th in show and got 3 GCH points so if we are going by Mournebrake's theory (which is what I though was true) then she should have gotten 5 points, as group 2nd got 5 points.
www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Winter%20Frolic%20XV&breed=Golden%20Retriever

Artistri - In my post I am strictly referring to GCH points, NOT CH points - as this is what the Original Poster was asking about.

So the first dog you are talking about:

The points awarded here are correct as per SD rules - as she is not a CH yet and is picking up CH points (NOT GCH Points). As Jeff has stated and as others have stated, if a dog is not yet a CH and wins BIG then they will pick up a 5 point Major as long as there is enough entries in the entire show to provide the numbers for the Major. (Which happens in 99% of shows luckily) happy :)

The 2nd dog you mentioned:

Again - the GHC points awarded to this dog is correct. This time for this dog we are referring to GCH points - and as I mentioned earlier going by the AKC rules GCH's only pick up points for beating other dogs in the SAME breed - NOT other dogs of other breeds beaten in that show. happy :) I hope that makes sense?

So again - the points awarded are correct happy :)

Jeff - Perhaps the Help Centre could be updated to discuss the logistics of GCH points as I believe there isn't anything written in the Help Centre in reference to this. happy :)

Edited to fix spelling errors as apparently I type too quickly lol!

-----
Last edited by Quileute Legends on 2/7/2016 6:01:28 PM
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2016 6:08:50 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thank you everyone who responded! I edited say that one of the dogs I was referring to who won 5 points for the group win was a CH, not a GCH as I mistakenly said before.

-----
Last edited by Artistri on 2/7/2016 6:09:07 PM
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
2/7/2016 6:56:35 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Artistri, thank you for that explanation.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.