Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Any Barnhunters out there? I have some questions!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/30/2016 1:54:57 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I read the BHA rules and did not find the answers to these questions (or I didn't read it well enough), so any help would be much appreciated.

1. I understand the dogs run naked, but they have to be lead in with a lead or collar and lead (no special training collars or head halters). Is it okay if the collar has tags on it? (In AKC obedience, for example, nothing is allowed on the collar, but the dog also wears the collar during the performance, unlike Barn Hunt.)

2. If you call "RAT"/"ALERT" and your dog pointed to either a litter/empty tube or nothing, does that end your run or are you allowed to continue searching until the allotted time for your class ends (or you find all the rat tubes)?

Thanks in advance for your help! My pointer's been to a couple of barn hunt classes now and loves it! It comes to him much more naturally than obedience (though we are still training for Utility...)

Here's our first barn hunt practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDV1G-xtfY

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 3/30/2016 1:58:23 PM

Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2016 5:10:48 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

1. The collar may have tags on it, just don't forget to take it off before the run! It's not an AKC event so the rules are quite different.

2. If you call rat on the wrong tube, your run is over. However, every judge I've trialed under tells you where the rat tube is. Then you can show it to your dog and reward then so you end with a success happy :)

Hope that helps, I've been trialing and working trials for a while. I'm learning trial secretary work so I know the rules pretty well if you need more help!
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2016 5:12:49 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

That looks like SO much fun ... may have to try this!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2016 9:26:13 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Thanks so much!

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.