Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Ranking in your breed
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/12/2016 9:06:51 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

How are you supposed to gain any ranks in your breed? I have been showing and breeding Tollers for a long time, coming up on a year, but the rankings don't even include me when I click "all ranked kennels". I show them often and have many of them in my kennel.

In GSDs, which I also show but not quite as much as Tollers, I am ranked. Is there some kind of trick to gaining ranks? Is it based on how many CHs you have in the breed?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/12/2016 3:58:59 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

This from the "Help" listings (top right by the 'Sign Out').

I don't know if it helps answer your question.

Breed rankings are calculated on how many other dogs of the same breed your kennel has beaten in the past month. Breed rankings are separate from "Kennel Prestige Rankings".

Group and show wins to do not count towards breed rankings.

Sometimes a kennel may only have one dog of your breed showing, but if it is doing very well "in breed" or beating many other dogs in the breed, that kennel may be top of the breed rankings.

Similarly, because breed rankings are calculated over the past month, kennels who no longer have any dogs in your particular breed, may still be listed in the kennel rankings.

Last Updated: 9/15/2011 1:28:08 AM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2016 4:55:22 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Looking at you current dogs none beat any others last month which explains why you are not ranked currently. The male champ that was finished by you did well in feb so you should have been listed for when those counted.
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2016 5:05:17 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

It sounds to me like Little River is talking about Kennel Rankings and not Dog Rankings. I just checked and I am #1 in Tollers right now. I have been breeding them for 6 months and have been ranked in the top 3 for a while. Right now I have 2 dogs that I am campaigning (with frequent group placements) and 5 or 6 others that I am showing. I think having dogs that do really well in the show ring is the best way to get your ranking up.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2016 5:47:34 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Breed rankings - which you can see at the bottom of this page: Under the heading of 'Top Kennels in this Breed'

www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Nova%20Scotia%20Duck%20Tolling%20Retriever.aspx

Are purely based on how many dogs of the breed you kennel has beaten in the past month.

If you're not appearing on the list - then you aren't beating enough dogs of that breed in the ring compared to the other breeders.

Tollers have quite a few 'main breeders' which means there is more competition.

In order to work you're way up the list you need to:

a) breed showable dogs
b) session and show as many as you can afford
c) campaign dogs

I notice that when I pull back from showing due to time constraints in RL, my rating drops down a bit. I have held the #1 top spot in most of my breeds for over a year now.

On the flip side - if I have joined a breed just to finish one Champion in a breed that doesn't show much - my kennel name often sits in the rankings for the whole month - even after the dog has been sold/FH'd simply because no one else is showing.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2016 4:36:18 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I was talking about kennel ranking within the breed not dog ranking.

The breed one is based on your showing and you dogs/kennel beating others of its breed as said above.

Last month their dogs didn't beat any others of their breeds there for no ranking now. But in Feb they were showing and beating others with at least one dog so should have been ranked during the period Feb counted for.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 4/13/2016 4:38:21 PM

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.